RIP Dan Reeves

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
How many fingers does #84 still have after this play
I don't know, but it looks like he is trying to take Reeves' eye out.

p1_

DCC 4Life
makes me think of Conrad Dobler. Good times.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
He and Ditka were coaches for what seemed like forever. And the ball seemed to find him in big games. He had the TD pass in the Ice Bowl and the errant Morton pass off his fingertips in SB V. Had multiple chances to win a championship as a HC but just couldn't get over the top.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Y’all know these things come in 3’s. First was Madden, then Reeves. Who’s next ?

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
That really sucks. Great guy, and a class act through and through. RIP.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Took me by surprise, don't think he gets all the credit he should.
Yeah, I had no idea he participated in 9 Super Bowls as a player or coach. It's a shame that he didn't get into the HOF while he was alive.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
How many of you actually saw him play or was even in this world? His last playing days was 1966. One would have to be close to 60 to see him. Most of you probably saw him only as a coach.

Cotton

Staff member
How many of you actually saw him play or was even in this world? His last playing days was 1966. One would have to be close to 60 to see him. Most of you probably saw him only as a coach.
I believe his last year playing was 1972, but I still wasn't alive at that time.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I believe his last year playing was 1972, but I still wasn't alive at that time.
That may be correct. The source I looked at wasn’t clear but he moved around in several player positions as an NFL player. Memory seem to be he was initially a safety and at some point became a RB.

Cotton

Staff member
That may be correct. The source I looked at wasn’t clear but he moved around in several player positions as an NFL player. Memory seem to be he was initially a safety and at some point became a RB.
He played RB for the Cowboys.

ZeroClub

UFA
Sad to hear it. He was a class act, for sure.

Yeah, he played through 1972. He was a player-coach for his final few years as a player ... and didn't take so many snaps in those final years. There were better options at RB. In addition to running the ball, I recall him throwing a few halfback option passes. I believe he was the designated emergency QB if the starter and sub were to be injured.

He was a high quality head coach, but never did win a title. He wasn't afraid to speak his mind.

He had a full NFL career as both a player and coach. He is worthy of much respect and experienced some great moments in NFL history, but I'm not sure he's a Hall of Famer.

Last edited:

data

Forbes #1
Yeah, I had no idea he participated in 9 Super Bowls as a player or coach. It's a shame that he didn't get into the HOF while he was alive.
He’s not in the HOF yet? Criminal.
I haven’t considered Dan Reeves for HOF, but, on the surface, a head coach comp would be HOFer Bud Grant.

For Reeves, though, his Super Bowl appearances with two franchises puts him in rarified air, proving his success didn’t entirely come from one core of players.

I’d say Dan Reeves is probably the next deserving non-active head coach in line for HOF induction. Reeves or Holmgren.

Top Bottom