Report: Jason Garrett “Not Going Anywhere” with Possible Extension Coming Soon

p1_

DCC 4Life
By Sean Martin
Report: Jason Garrett "Not Going Anywhere" with Possible Extension Coming Soon 1

With his 40-7 win over the Jacksonville Jaguars on Sunday, Jason Garrett's Cowboys did more than enough to silence talks of possible firings on the coaching staff for at least a week. According to a report from Dallas Cowboys Feature Writer Jeff Sullivan, it's possible Garrett has earned much more than this, with an extension for the eighth year head coach looming.

The Cowboys have alternated wins and losses through the first six weeks of the season. Thanks to the rest of the NFC East getting off to an equally slow start, the 3-3 Cowboys are still playing for first place this week in Washington.

When considering these marginal victories in the grand scheme of what Garrett has achieved since taking over fully in 2011, the timing to extend him early in 2018 feels peculiar. The Cowboys went 8-8 in Garrett's first three years as he turned the roster over, and in similar fashion his young team has done little to prove they're not on track for a .500 record this year.

Sullivan does go on to explain Garrett's impact at The Star throughout the week, which is often forgotten about once he's in the public eye during game day. The Cowboys comfort with Garrett leading the way still has to be considered alongside the deficiencies of his staff to put players in the best position to win.

As their last franchise quarterback said on his way out the door, "football is a meritocracy," where, "nothing is given".

It is widely accepted that the Cowboys coaching staff will be mainly responsible for at least one loss a season. Be it Scott Linehan or Garrett, the Cowboys chance at victory is snatched away from them by coaching annually.

Even with a win at the Redskins this week, it's hard to imagine not bringing up early season defeats in Carolina, Seattle, and Houston, as games the Cowboys missed out on.

The duality of Garrett punting away a chance to win at the Texans last week before leading his team to their largest win since 2014 is simply who he is. Even before the Cowboys took the field for a seemingly tough match up against the Jaguars, Jerry Jones delivered a vote of confidence in Garrett - as he's done before in an offense that finally capitalized on their talent, making 40 points come easy on the league's top defense.

Garrett's current contract runs through 2019. If you believe he's struck gold in Quarterback Dak Prescott, a young passer he hitched his wagon to early in order to survive the post-Romo era, the Cowboys would have a decision to make on both Garrett and Prescott at the same time.

Of course, that is if they're willing to let Prescott play out the final year of his rookie deal before signing an extension, and if an extension of his own isn't coming Garrett's way eminently.

This story has not gained traction with the rest of the local or national media, and that's likely because Garrett still has time in Dallas. Not only has he been afforded an amount of time that some would call unearned, but the time ahead of him makes the idea of a new extension obscene.

Regardless of when Garrett sits down to discuss his future with the Jones', it's become clearer by the day that he'll have their full support behind closed doors. Such is the stability Garrett provides the Cowboys, as well as the mediocrity to never advance past the Divisional Round of the playoffs.

The Cowboys have done nothing so far in 2018 to prove they can be the team that snaps this streak for Garrett, and must first prove that their 40-7 win over the Jaguars was no anomaly. Earning their first win on the road and improving to 2-0 in the NFC East is another way for the Cowboys to take strides towards winning the division.

The Redskins would drop to 0-1 with the loss, and the Eagles have managed just one divisional win against the Giants thus far.

Let's not forget that this is where the team expects to be every year. Even though the 4-3 Cowboys would face far fewer questions about the future for their coaches and tenured players, buying in to Garrett even more after each win, the week-to-week nature of the NFL should have Dallas weary of locking in Jason for a single game past next season.

Sheik

DCC 4Life
“Jason Garrett not going anywhere.”

What a coincidence, neither is this team as long as he’s around.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
The early season losses were predictable simply because Garrett’s coaching style does not prepare the team to play. He holds back the starters from preseason drills and games and they are soft and mentally slow. I said they will struggle in the early part of the season and they did. It is pretty obvious even to the casual observer and one of the reasons he is a .500 win type coach. He gives up 2 to 3 games in the first half of the season. He apparently thinks saving players will payoff down the stretch but it never has.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Its a sign that the GM doesn't really want to win.

:art

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Yeah. Might as well add that to the list.
I dont think its true but if it is I will be adding it as I close the cowboys chapter.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
Jerry Jones denies report of extension for Jason Garrett
Posted by Charean Williams on October 16, 2018, 4:50 PM EDT

Getty Images
From professional bookmakers’ odds to common sense, it would appear that Jason Garrett’s seat is as hot as any in the NFL. But then came a tweet from dallascowboys.com columnist Jeff Sullivan on Monday, alluding to an extension in the works for the Cowboys head coach.

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones repeatedly has given Garrett a vote of confidence, but he denied Sullivan’s tweet, which read, “Sounds like another extension could be signed soon he’s not going anywhere.”

“I don’t know where Jeff is getting his information,” Jones said on his weekly radio show on 105.3 The Fan, via Jon Machota of the Dallas Morning News. “He’s pulling one out of the air there as far as any knowledge. My response should not in any way indicate that I’m thinking about it or whether it’s going to be there, it’s just not something that I would have visited with anybody about, least of all Jeff.

“I happen to know that I’ve never spoken to another soul about that as far as that is concerned.”

Garrett signed a five-year, $30 million extension in January 2015, keeping him under contract through the 2019 season. He has a 70-56 record since taking over for Wade Phillips in the middle of the 2010 season.

The Cowboys have three winning seasons, two playoff appearances and one playoff win under Garrett.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
IMHO, a wild-card bid and one playoff game -- win or lose -- saves Garrett. Sub .500 and missing the playoffs -- especially given how mediocre the NFC East is -- may doom him.

It could be that Jerry knows no HC candidate with an ounce of self-respect or sanity would want to work for him. He dreads the prospect of truly qualified candidates (I don't count Kris Richard among those) saying thanks but no thanks when approached about the job. That would be an unendurable blow to his ego. And he could wind up with someone worse than Garrett.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
It could be that Jerry knows no HC candidate with an ounce of self-respect or sanity would want to work for him.
That crossed my mind as well, the book has been out on him for over twenty year now. Just about every team, coach, player and fan of the NFL is aware of his meddling ways.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
If he gets extended, the very little bit of interest that remains will be killed off.

I don't watch a lot of Cowboys football as it is, but this would be the last straw.

There just wouldn't be a point.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
If a .500 record gets Garrett canned I’ll be a huge Redskins fan this week.

I don’t let a crushing performance over a shitty Jags team fool me. The Cowboys still play Garrett ball, and it’s never gonna get them deep into the playoffs or anywhere near a SB.

My hope is that old man Jones sees HIS window closing and is willing to make a major change before the Grim Reaper takes his body or mind. It is about proving he can win another SB after all.

Listening to the nonsensical rambling Jones doesn’t seem as mentally spry these days so maybe we will see a change.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
How the hell did we go from Lincoln Riley to a Garrett extension in the span of a few days??

p1_

DCC 4Life
How the hell did we go from Lincoln Riley to a Garrett extension in the span of a few days??
don't think that anyone here buying into it, even Jerry has quashed the notion.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
But Jerry didn't say it wouldn't happen, he just said that's not something he would have [strike]told[/strike] "visited with" anyone about.

And we know Jerry would never lie anyway. :unsure

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
don't think that anyone here buying into it, even Jerry has quashed the notion.
Yeah I seriously doubt Jerry is going to extend him during the season. No reason to even visit it until after the season.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I dont think its true but if it is I will be adding it as I close the cowboys chapter.
I think he "likes" winning but he doesn't "need" to win.

Basically it's not a high priority for him.

Top Bottom