Rear slap gets ex-NFL star C. Johnson 30 days jail

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
God watching that really made me hate that judge. Honestly I handle criminal matters like these all of the time, I would have been livid as Chad Johnson's attorney. The judges I deal with on a daily basis either would have laughed it off, or would have verbally scolded him to take this seriously and then accepted the offer. The judge went way too far in this case.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Despite what you might think she clearly is able to overrule the state.
Clearly she is, at her discretion. I'm just saying her discretion here sucks.

It should be reserved for some kind of egregious situation. 99.99% of the time, the State's position should be honored if a plea deal is arranged.

It's not only the butt slap, but even on probation he was not meeting with his PO. That is not being a clown or a funny guy, that is clearly violating his probation.
Yes, his failure to abide by the terms of his probation was why he was in court. Where he made an agreement with the DA (the state's representative) wherein the DA agreed that he should not spend any time in jail and that other punishment was more suitable for that offense (community service, etc).

The judge decided that slapping his male attorney on the ass was an aggravating factor to throw out what the DA had thought was appropriate.

That's the part that makes no sense. That shouldn't be a factor enough to override the agreed upon deal.

Legally, can she? Yes. Should she? No.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I have no problem with it. He was showing her up and if anyone thinks he was not playing it up for the people in the courtroom they are naive. Maybe this will be good for him...or maybe in 6 months we are talking about how he is not complying with his probation again.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I think he was making light of the situation but more in a self-deprecating sense (not mocking the judge or courtroom) and if anyone thinks he was being deliberately disrespectful they are delusional.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Fuck him. He should be spending time under the jail anyway for head butting his wife.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Whether or no he knows if it was disresepctful is beside the point...it was, just showed no real acknowledgement of the serious situation he was in. It is what he does on the football field though, so let's just accept it as acceptable behavior in a courtroom. Maybe next time he can pour Gatorade over his lawyers head or spike his briefcase in celebration.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Fuck him. He should be spending time under the jail anyway for head butting his wife.
That point kind of gets lost in this...he did a pretty terrible thing, but Schmitty is comfortable calling the judge a bitch in this case, while Johnson is just an affable clown.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Whether or no he knows if it was disresepctful is beside the point...it was, just showed no real acknowledgement of the serious situation he was in.
Except he said "No, I understand this situation is serious, I wasn't meaning to show disrespect."

So he did acknowledge that the situation was serious.

The slapping of the attorney on the butt isn't any different than if he had cracked any kind of self-deprecating joke. Shouldn't be enough for 30 days of jail time.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
That point kind of gets lost in this...
It doesn't get lost, it's not relevant.

He wasn't in court for headbutting his wife. He was in court for violation of probation. The only thing that should come into play is the seriousness of his actions in violating his probation. If he flips the judge the bird, that is clearly very disrespectful and worthy of being taken into consideration.

This was playful and harmless and should have been overlooked or at worst accompanied by a slap on the wrist -- as Clay suggested, stick him in jail overnight to ruin his weekend.

30 days in jail is what you get for fairly serious first offenses, a lot of times. This was nothing, in comparison. Completely unwarranted. And completely out of line with how most judges behave.

As someone who makes a lot of retarded jokes, its surprising that you think someone belongs in jail for 30 days for bad taste.

but Schmitty is comfortable calling the judge a bitch in this case
Well, she's acting like a bitch, and most people here see that.

Last edited:

Carp

DCC 4Life
Except he said "No, I understand this situation is serious, I wasn't meaning to show disrespect."

So he did acknowledge that the situation was serious.

The slapping of the attorney on the butt isn't any different than if he had cracked any kind of self-deprecating joke. Shouldn't be enough for 30 days of jail time.
Right. At that point he was trying to save his ass, but clearly we should take him at his word. You know, like he should be taken at his word that he would properly follow the directions of his probation.

Carp

DCC 4Life
It doesn't get lost, it's not relevant.

He wasn't in court for headbutting his wife. He was in court for violation of probation. The only thing that should come into play is the seriousness of his actions in violating his probation. If he flips the judge the bird, that is clearly very disrespectful and worthy of being taken into consideration.

This was playful and harmless and should have been overlooked or at worst accompanied by a slap on the wrist -- as Clay suggested, stick him in jail overnight to ruin his weekend.

30 days in jail is what you get for fairly serious first offenses, a lot of times. This was nothing, in comparison. Completely unwarranted. And completely out of line with how most judges behave.

As someone who makes a lot of retarded jokes, its surprising that you think someone belongs in jail for 30 days for bad taste.

Well, she's acting like a bitch, and most people here see that.
The only reason he was on probation is because he headbutted his wife. So there is that.

You are really going to compare stupid jokes I make on an internet message board to jokes made while in the middle of a courtroom proceeding? Come on man, that shit is weak.

Anyways...glad he got throw in jail. I'm not losing sleep over it.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
What grown man thinks it's appropriate to slap his attorney on the butt in court?

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Right. At that point he was trying to save his ass, but clearly we should take him at his word.
You should. He didn't know the judge was going to deny his plea at that point. He was explaining himself and there is no other conduct he was exhibiting that was disrespectful that would place the butt-slap into that context.

You wouldn't know this.... since you're not an attorney.... but generally when defendants want to show contempt towards the court, they come in with an attitude and mouth off and it's part of their schtick for the whole time they are there.

Chad Johnson was different. He was respectfully answering the judge the whole time and was surprised when she got upset.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
The only reason he was on probation is because he headbutted his wife. So there is that.
Yeah. Still irrelevant. The judge isn't sentencing him for headbutting his wife.

You are really going to compare stupid jokes I make on an internet message board to jokes made while in the middle of a courtroom proceeding? Come on man, that shit is weak.
Not as weak as a judge throwing him in jail for a harmless gesture.

The point is, she should get over herself.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Four pages about this stupid shithead?

Kbrown

Not So New Member
If there are circumstances in which disrespect warrants this kind of action, this is a judgment call. And she is judge. Is it harsh? A little bit.

But we all know Chad Johnson has been a walking joke his entire adult life. If a millionaire (or maybe former) doesn't have the life skills to know you stand there and don't make any sudden movements when things are about to fall your way in a court case that started with you hurting a woman, then maybe this is the right kind of bust in the chops.

And even though I am far from some feminist, I think it's pretty scummy to call the judge hormonal, or (as I saw on Facebook) sexually frustrated, or otherwise degrade her for being a woman.

Top Bottom