Rams Stuff...

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Dak Prescott ready to return to action
Posted by Charean Williams on August 8, 2017, 5:05 PM EDT

Dak Prescott will return to the field Saturday night for at least a few plays. It marks his first game action since the Cowboys’ loss to the Packers in the divisional round of the playoffs.

“That’s up to coaches how much I’m going to play,” Prescott said, via Todd Archer of ESPN. “I’m excited. It’s football. I get to play in another game. I wanted to play last week, obviously, and just watching the guys play gets you fired up even more, so I’m ready to go.”

Backup Kellen Moore and undrafted rookie Cooper Rush played in the Hall of Fame Game last week. Right tackle La'el Collins, who is switching positions, and left guard Jonathan Cooper were the only projected offensive starters to play against the Cardinals.

A year ago, though, Prescott didn’t take over the starting job until Tony Romo was injured in the third preseason game. Thus, Prescott started the 2016 preseason opener against the Rams, going 10-for-12 for 139 yards and a touchdown. He knows he won’t play that much this week.

“I think it was important,” Prescott said. “I think it showed some significance in the fact it was the first game experience they got to see me play with the offense. I mean, I had plenty of scrimmages and live reps out here, but the first game experience with the crowd, a huge crowd out there in the Coliseum, it was a pretty good performance, and I think it gave them confidence in believing in me and pushing further.”

Cotton

Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Of course.

Cotton

Staff member
Dak Prescott, other starters expected to play against Rams on Saturday

by Dave Halprin Aug 9, 2017, 12:30pm CDT

A year ago against the Los Angeles Rams in preseason, Cowboys quarterback Dak Prescott got the start after backup Kellen Moore was injured and out for the season. The Cowboys were still protecting Tony Romo and had no intentions of playing him until later in the preseason, and presumably not for long even then. So it came to pass that Prescott was thrust into the starter’s role for that preseason game, and we all witnessed the birth of a magical season.

...Prescott foreshadowed the best rookie season of any quarterback in NFL history with a lights-out performance against the Rams, completing 10 of 12 passes for 139 yards and two touchdowns. His only incompletions were two dropped passes by tight end Geoff Swaim, and he finished with a passer rating of 154.5.
Prescott and the Cowboys return to the scene of the crime on Saturday night and the starters will get a chance to play after sitting out the Hall of Fame game. They likely won’t be in there long, but they should get a few series in.

The coaches have not gone through all of the particulars, but Dak Prescott and the Dallas Cowboys' first-team offense will see at least a little time in Saturday's preseason game against the Los Angeles Rams.

Coach Jason Garrett said the final determinations will be made later in the week, but Prescott is looking forward to his first action in a game since the loss to the Green Bay Packers in the divisional round of the playoffs in January.

"That's up to coaches how much I'm going to play. I'm excited. It's football. I get to play in another game," Prescott said. "I wanted to play last week, obviously, and just watching the guys play gets you fired up even more, so I'm ready to go."
Dez Bryant is also fired up to see some action.

Dez Bryant expects to play in Saturday's preseason game against the Los Angeles Rams. The star receiver just isn't sure how long he'll be on the field.

"I have no clue," Bryant said Tuesday. "All I know is I'm going to get in there and I'm going to have fun."

"I feel great," Bryant said. "I've been out here dominating. I'm excited. I'm ready to go. I'm ready to see what's up. I'm ready to hit this field Saturday and ready to have fun with my guys."
Last week was a milestone as the Dallas Cowboys got together for an organized football game, their first since they lost to the Green Bay Packers in the playoffs. But, there was something missing as almost no starters played. This week we’ll get to see the first unit, at least for a brief amount of time, the unit that we expect to carry the Cowboys into Super Bowl contention for 2017. It’s one more step on the road to real football.

And while the offense is where all the stars are at, the defense may be the more interesting unit to watch. If the Cowboys are truly going to make a run this year, they will need solid play on that side of the ball. We should get a brief look at how that side of the ball will shake out.

Now, we just wait to see if Jaylon Smith will play! (A betting man would probably say that he won’t).

Cotton

Staff member
A Year Later, Dak Recalls The Rams Game That Helped Launch His Career
Tuesday, August 08, 2017 4:18 PM CDT
By Rob Phillips

OXNARD, Calif. – Dak Prescott still remembers the play 360 days ago.

Three wide, one back, early second quarter, first-and-10 from the L.A. Rams’ 32-yard line. He hit wide receiver Terrance Williams on the run just inside the left end zone pylon for his second touchdown of the game.

It was his first NFL game.

It was just the beginning.

“I want to say I got hit as I was throwing it,” Prescott recalled. “I was trying to figure out if he caught it or not and then you hear everybody scream. I don’t know, it just sticks out. Usually the touchdowns stick out more than the incompletions.”

Prescott didn’t have many in last year’s debut: two, in fact, both receiver drops. His passer rating was a near-perfect 154.5.

Three hundred and sixty days later, Prescott is set to return to the L.A. Coliseum for another preseason game against the Rams.

He’s in a much different position.

He’s not a fourth-round rookie trying to prove he can be a capable backup.

He’s the franchise quarterback for America’s Team.

“I think it (that game) was important,” he said after Tuesday’s practice here in Oxnard. “I think it showed some significance in the fact it was the first game experience they got to see me play with the offense. I mean, I had plenty of scrimmages and live reps out here, but the first game experience with the crowd, a huge crowd out there in the Coliseum, it was a pretty good performance and I think it gave them confidence in believing in me and pushing further.”

Prescott would become the full-time starter only two weeks later when Tony Romo fractured a bone in his back against the Seattle Seahawks. The rest is well-known by now: Prescott started all 16 games, leading the Cowboys to a franchise-record tying 13 wins, and won AP Offensive Rookie of the Year honors.

Romo has moved on to the broadcasting world. It’s Prescott’s huddle.

“Obviously, he did a really good job for us last year as our quarterback,” head coach Jason Garrett said. “He worked very hard in the offseason to get himself ready for training camp, he certainly made strides in all areas of the game, and he’ll continue to do that.

Tuesday, Garrett and Prescott didn’t speculate on how many snaps the second-year starter might get against the Rams.

He’s approaching this game, and this season, the same way as he did last year, when he opened camp fighting for third-team reps.

“I treat every practice as if it’s a game, preparing for it, trying to make every throw, trying to make the right decision,” he said.

“My focus no matter what year I’m in is just always to get better, find a way to get better. It doesn’t matter if it’s out on the field or if it’s the film room, if it’s in the weight room, whatever it is.”

Cotton

Staff member
What to Watch for in Dallas Cowboys' Preseason Week 1 Matchup
MARCUS MOSHER
AUGUST 9, 2017

While the Dallas Cowboys have already played in one preseason game so far, their matchup against the Los Angeles Rams on Saturday night will technically come in Week 1 of the preseason.

The team's first preseason game of the year provided quite a few different talking points—from Rico Gathers' development to the up-and-down performance of rookie Taco Charlton.

What will this weekend bring? What are the things to look for in their second preseason game?

Here's a list of some issues to keep an eye on during the team's matchup with the Rams.

Dak Prescott's 1st Appearance

The Cowboys opened up their preseason schedule last year against the Rams at the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum—a game that will go down as one of the most memorable in Dallas' history due to Dak Prescott's performance.

The Cowboys did not announce their starting quarterback until late in the week, with Prescott and Jameill Showers hoping for the call. But the former stepped in and showed the world he was ready to be a star.

Prescott completed 10-of-12 passes for 139 yards and threw for two touchdowns as he moved the ball up and down the field on the Rams' talented defense.

A lot has changed for the 24-year-old in the past year. He's now the Cowboys' franchise quarterback and has the burden of trying to get the team back to the Super Bowl. It hasn't been announced yet if he will be on the field Saturday night, but he will probably see a series or two.

Can Prescott replicate his 2016 performance in L.A.? Probably not, but it will be nice to see the team's superstar back on the field again.

How Much Will Xavier Woods Play?

During the third day of the NFL draft, the Cowboys traded up 20 spots in the sixth round (giving up a 2018 fifth-round pick) to select safety Xavier Woods from Louisania Tech.

Woods is a versatile defender who can play multiple spots in Rod Marinelli's defense, but there just hasn't been a lot of buzz about him in camp or in the team's first preseason game so far.

A lot of that could be due to the fact he's buried on the depth chart. Not only is he behind starters Byron Jones and Jeff Heath, he is also running behind players such as Kavon Frazier, Robert Blanton and Jameill Showers. In the team's first preseason game, Woods didn't play until late in the second half and failed to record a tackle.

If the 22-year-old doesn't play much in the rest of the preseason, it's fair to wonder if the Cowboys are trying to "hide" him from other teams so they can stash him on the practice squad for the season, much like they did with Rico Gathers in 2016.

However, considering how much the Cowboys have invested in Woods, don't be shocked if he plays a lot more in the next few weeks. The team could be trying to ease him in or trying to hide him. Either way, he's someone to watch against the Rams.

Taco Charlton's 2nd Game

The reviews on Taco Charlton's first action in the NFL were mixed.

According to Pro Football Focus, he wasn't bad at all. He finished the game with an overall grade of 75.3, and the website noted he "did an excellent job of using his length to set the edge and control blockers against the run."

But his defensive coordinator disagreed. Per the Fort Worth Star-Telegram, Rod Marinelli said the rookie "wasn't good enough." He failed to register a pressure on seven pass-rush attempts, but in fairness to him, he was chipped and doubled a few times on his rushes.

Can the 22-year-old improve on his so-so first preseason game? He'll likely see more snaps as the first team typically plays a series or two during Week 1 of the preseason.

Expect a highly motivated Charlton to have a much better performance this week.

Will Jaylon Smith Play?

Jaylon Smith has been one of the biggest surprises of the Cowboys' training camp so far. He's been working in pads and has participated in full contact drills. In terms of on-field drills and work, there is nothing he hasn't been able to do.

He's still not 100 percent healthy and may not be for a while, but Smith has come a long way in his recovery, and it seems like a return to the field is imminent.

Vice president Stephen Jones said Smith is healthy enough to play in a game, but they aren't announcing yet whether his first game experience will happen this week against the Rams.

If Smith does play against the Rams, keep an eye on where he is used. Will he be employed just as a traditional middle linebacker? Will he come off the field in nickel situations? Will he be used on special teams?

If the 22-year-old is on the field, it will be the story of the night. But how and where he plays will be something to watch.

Can Damontre Moore Be a Starter for the Cowboys?

The recent news of Damontre Moore's two-game suspension for his December DUI has put a damper on his outlook for the 2017 season, but his performance in the Hall of Fame game reminded fans just how good he could be for the Cowboys this season.

According to Pro Football Focus, Moore graded out with a score of 78.4, higher than first-round pick Taco Charlton.

Moore recorded four assisted tackles and one quarterback hurry, but it was his explosiveness that jumped off the screen. He is the one true right defensive end the Cowboys have on their roster, and he has the ability to bend around the edge better than any of his teammates.

He is just 24 years old and still something of a project as a defensive end. He needs to get stronger at the point of attack and needs more power in his hands, but his upside is intriguing.

Expect Moore to play a few series on Saturday night and get some pressure on the quarterback off the edge.

Can Ryan Switzer Find a Role on Offense?

After missing the past two weeks with an injured hamstring, rookie receiver Ryan Switzer returned to practice this week.

It hasn't been announced whether he will play in the preseason game on Saturday night, but expect him to be on the field as he's fighting for a roster spot.

If Switzer does feature against the Rams, I'll be interested to see how the team decides to use him. Is he strictly a slot receiver or do the Cowboys move him around on offense? Is he used out of the backfield or out wide? Where else can he contribute on special teams outside of just being the team's primary punt returner?

While he may not be able to answer all of those questions in just one preseason game, Switzer will be closely watched in his first live action in the NFL.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Woods is behind Showers on the depth chart? :unsure
That's disappointing if true. I had hopes that he could be a steal in the 6th round. He was touted as a guy who despite not being from a huge school, was not a "small school project" either, so he shouldn't be quite so raw and developmental.

Seeming that's not the case.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's disappointing if true. I had hopes that he could be a steal in the 6th round. He was touted as a guy who despite not being from a huge school, was not a "small school project" either, so he shouldn't be quite so raw and developmental.

Seeming that's not the case.
I just wonder if the dude has even been given a chance at this point. Just seems a bit fishy to me.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Maybe it means nothing, but I heard a little interview with Woods on the radio, and he didn't sound... very bright. At all.

Kavon Frazer seemed very sharp though.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Update:

No Jaylon Smith + No Ryan Switzer = :zzz

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
Oh good. A full half of Kellen Moore's high school, pop-gun arm.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Um what? So are our starters only going tok play in 2 preseason games.

Fuck it, our team should refuse to play in protest. That bullshit suspension has already ruined any desire I have for this game.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
That bullshit suspension has already ruined any desire I have for this game.
Absolutely.

I find it hard to get excited about football when basically it has been ruined by a ridiculous bureaucrat who politicizes a game and makes it into a social platform.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Are you fucking kidding me?

midswat

... soon
Just found out the cowboys are playing today. Guess I'll watch.

Top Bottom