Preseason Week 1 Chatter Thread | Cowboys @ 49ers | 08/09/18

p1_

DCC 4Life
With the cost it would take to trade for him in addition to his salary it just makes me wonder if they need to do it. Aren't there still a few decent free agent safeties who haven't signed yet?
This is where I am on the subject. Its too expensive overall, when there are still good safeties out there unsigned.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
It wasn't just the sack given up by Williams, he also looked to struggle getting 1 on 1 push at the POA and took some poor angles when climbing to the 2nd level and in space.

I'm not overly worried about the sack, it was DeForest Buckner who I think is one of the best interior pass-rushers in the league, and it was only his first preseason game after all, at a new position no less.

Ultimately, I'm not worried given the circumstances, then again I never thought Williams would be a multi-time Pro Bowler like Smith/Frederick/Martin, so my expectations are a little lowered.

I do think he will eventually be as good or better than Leary, just with different strengths.

p1_

DCC 4Life
How did Duke Thomas look? I know he had the int but I didnt watch the game. Last camp he was tearing it up until he got hurt but haven't heard much this year. Thanks. I will hang up and listen.
There was a series where Duke got toasted for big pass play. Next play, Joe Thomas gets a pick.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It wasn't just the sack given up by Williams, he also looked to struggle getting 1 on 1 push at the POA and took some poor angles when climbing to the 2nd level and in space.

I'm not overly worried about the sack, it was DeForest Buckner who I think is one of the best interior pass-rushers in the league, and it was only his first preseason game after all, at a new position no less.

Ultimately, I'm not worried given the circumstances, then again I never thought Williams would be a multi-time Pro Bowler like Smith/Frederick/Martin, so my expectations are a little lowered.

I do think he will eventually be as good or better than Leary, just with different strengths.
Yeah I didn't pay that much attention to Williams. We ran the ball really well with the first team O-line so I just assumed he did well with that. But with O-lineman the only time you really notice something is when they do something bad. Which is why the sack sticks out. I thought our first team pass protection was excellent outside of that play though. Dak had a really clean pocket on his TD throw. Which just shows why pass protection is so important. I'm not worried about him. I think he is just adjusting to life at guard. It's way different then playing LT.

Stars

DCC 4Life
I loved the Gallup pick when it happened. Thought it was our best pick. So far love the player. He's got "it" you can just tell. Really want to homer out on him.

Jaylon Smith looks like a different person athletically. Last year I was rough on him, didn't think he needed to be out there. Thought the coaches and mgmt failed by not having a plan to handle Lee getting hurt. Smith wasn't ready to be on the field that much. Last night he looked like a freakin blur. Explosive. Not sure I paid attention to his change of direction, but I saw nothing that looked gimpy. If he gets the mental aspect of the game down as far as reading plays, coverages etc, we may have a monster.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
There was a series where Duke got toasted for big pass play. Next play, Joe Thomas gets a pick.
Yeah I wasn't very impressed at all with the backup corners. We've been hearing so much about them pushing the more highly thought of guys but I didn't see it.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I loved the Gallup pick when it happened. Thought it was our best pick. So far love the player. He's got "it" you can just tell. Really want to homer out on him.

Jaylon Smith looks like a different person athletically. Last year I was rough on him, didn't think he needed to be out there. Thought the coaches and mgmt failed by not having a plan to handle Lee getting hurt. Smith wasn't ready to be on the field that much. Last night he looked like a freakin blur. Explosive. Not sure I paid attention to his change of direction, but I saw nothing that looked gimpy. If he gets the mental aspect of the game down as far as reading plays, coverages etc, we may have a monster.
Yeah super fast and he looks even more powerful then he did in college. From what I saw he has all the makings of becoming a high level starting LBer this year. Which is perfect timing. Him and Sean Lee next to each other on the field is going to give offenses fits in my opinion. I know some are worried about the 1 technique situation but I think we have the LBers to sort of make up for any lack of push we get from the NT.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me

snap the fucking ball, dummy

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

snap the fucking ball, dummy
:lol

Yeah that should have been easy pitch and catch. Although that doesn't usually happen during the regular season. So I'm sure no one was really expecting the defense to be that confused.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

Smitty

DCC 4Life
There's like a zero percent chance Kony Ealy makes this team.

Charlton, Gregory and Tapper are all ahead of him as backup ends.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Maybe, but even harder to believe he has any chance of making the team.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I retract this tweet. Apparently it's click bait. Guice is walking around fine now.
:unsure

Yeah, so apparently it wasn't just click bait. Torn ACL.

That's what I get for believing homer comments from Redskins fans who were saying he was walking around smiling with no limp after being checked out.

Cotton

Staff member

Cotton

Staff member

This is Connor Williams' one bad play.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member

This is Connor Williams' one bad play.
I'm just glad Connor didn't hurt Smith. The only reason Thomas was able to get there to be part of the sack is because he basically knocked Smith out of the play when he fell.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Can we trade for that #77 Julian Taylor? Dude looked good.

Also I notice we batted a ton of passes down last night at the line.

Top Bottom