Preseason Week 1 Chatter Thread | Cowboys @ 49ers | 08/09/18

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Oh gawd, now SF broadcasters are on kissing their asses... *Mute*

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Even aside from the INT I thought Joe Thomas looked excellent, especially for a guy who should be mostly a reserve/emergency LB.

On the flip side I thought LVE looked hesitant and like he wasn't trusting his eyes. There's going to be a learning curve there before he is able to play fast and I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't get many defensive snaps early in the year if Lee is healthy and Smith truly is back to his former athletic self, which he certainly looks to be.

Throw in Wilson who has been in the scheme for several years and I think LVE will struggle to see the field much early on.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Well this defense is definitely scrappy. They just seem to keep creating turnovers even if they are giving up some yards.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Cool, nice tip and pick. Now put their asses away. I know it's preseason but it's SF in SF and I want to see sad Niner fans leaving the stadium.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Does anybody know the conversion rate of preseason TD's to practice TD's?

Just curious so I can keep an accurate accounting of how many practice TD's Dak has over the course of training camp.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Was that Ricky Watters on camera before they cut to a commercial? I still can't stand that grinning SOB.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Yeah. I just keep telling myself it's a preseason game and these are backups.
The guys on the field right now aren't backups, they're guys who are going to be out of the league within 12-18 months. The end of the 1st preseason game is always full of the absolute dregs of the roster, the majority of whom don't even have a realistic hope at the PS.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
The scrubs on D look like they're trying to earn a spot on someone's practice squad.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Even aside from the INT I thought Joe Thomas looked excellent, especially for a guy who should be mostly a reserve/emergency LB.

On the flip side I thought LVE looked hesitant and like he wasn't trusting his eyes. There's going to be a learning curve there before he is able to play fast and I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't get many defensive snaps early in the year if Lee is healthy and Smith truly is back to his former athletic self, which he certainly looks to be.

Throw in Wilson who has been in the scheme for several years and I think LVE will struggle to see the field much early on.
Probably. But I'm not worried. LVE will be just fine.

But you can bet we'll be inundated with retarded Bobby Carpenter comparisons.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
The guys on the field right now aren't backups, they're guys who are going to be out of the league within 12-18 months. The end of the 1st preseason game is always full of the absolute dregs of the roster, the majority of whom don't even have a realistic hope at the PS.
Especially Olinemen. You keep at most 9 guys. So by the time you have third stringers out there these aren't real NFL players.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
Probably. But I'm not worried. LVE will be just fine.

But you can bet we'll be inundated with retarded Bobby Carpenter comparisons.
Yea I'm not worried, I'll be disappointed if he only plays like 20% of the snaps or whatever but sometimes there's a learning curve for these guys and if Smith truly is back athletically then you can't really expect him to break in there in front of him and Lee.

I've said it a million times but Myles Jack played like 25% of the Jags snaps in 2016 and looked like a lost baby, in 2017 he's one of the league's elite.

Top Bottom