Prescott Contract Watch Thread...

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
^ 100% agree.

Play out this year, draft a QB high in next year's draft, including trading up if you have to. Franchise Prescott and let him play one more year while the QB marinates, or trade him ASAP.
I don't think he is actually demanding 40 mil. That was fake news from what I can tell. But if he is I'd let him play the season out. Why not? Maybe Dak steps his game up and shows he is worth that kind of money. Or maybe he doesn't and his demands come down. Either way you can't give everyone record contracts. Jerry seems to be at least following the line of thinking that he isn't rushed which is good. There is no reason to panic and do something dumb. We've offered what I'm assuming is a good deal. So stand on that.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
This is unchartered terretory for an elite young player to hold out with 2 years left on a rookie deal. If you're Vander Esch a couple years from now why wouldn't you do the same if you see the team just cave and give a guy the largest contract ever at his position? Unless of course you care more about winning than getting paid right away.
I dont think holding out is a new concept whether it be a veteran or a young player. I also think this is a byproduct of how the position is treated now by teams. How many contracts do you think RBs that get used the way Zeke is used is going to get? Arent the cowboys going to use the wear and tear excuse in negotiations? Why shouldnt he hold out when the front office begins talking about Gurley money before the season is even dry?

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
Not every young player is going to.be able to do this. Elite players are always priveledged.
And if we're being honest, Zeke is the only elite player of the 3.

Cooper definitely has the potential.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I dont think holding out is a new concept whether it be a veteran or a young player. I also think this is a byproduct of how the position is treated now by teams. How many contracts do you think RBs that get used the way Zeke is used is going to get? Arent the cowboys going to use the wear and tear excuse in negotiations? Why shouldnt he hold out when the front office begins talking about Gurley money before the season is even dry?
Because he is under contract. What good is a contract if one party or the other can just arbitrarily say I don’t want to live up to my end of the bargain? Play out the terms and then negotiate for a new deal. These “I’m not happy any more and I don’t want play” laments are not a good thing to allow precedents to be set.

Rev

Staff member
Because he is under contract. What good is a contract if one party or the other can just arbitrarily say I don’t want to live up to my end of the bargain? Play out the terms and then negotiate for a new deal. These “I’m not happy any more and I don’t want play” laments are not a good thing to allow precedents to be set.
So teams never cut players before their contract is up? It works both ways. What about running him into the ground and then using the wear and tear as a negotiation tactic to lower the price?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So teams never cut players before their contract is up? It works both ways. What about running him into the ground and then using the wear and tear as a negotiation tactic to lower the price?
Pretty sure Zeke's contract is fully guaranteed. So not really applicable here.

Rev

Staff member
Pretty sure Zeke's contract is fully guaranteed. So not really applicable here.
It doesnt have to be Zeke. Any player at any time and its still correct.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
It doesnt have to be Zeke. Any player at any time and its still correct.
Not rookie first round deals. And every other player is free to negotiate guarantees. They don't pay those back either. Even when the guys retire halfway in.

Rev

Staff member
Not rookie first round deals. And every other player is free to negotiate guarantees. They don't pay those back either. Even when the guys retire halfway in.
Of course not Rookies but I was mainly talking about players into their playing careers. Its only different because this seems to be the first rookie and wasnt it just a couple of years ago that they put a cap on how much 1st round picks get? The point still remains in every sport owners cut players before their contracts are up so you just cant say players cant do the same.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Of course not Rookies but I was mainly talking about players into their playing careers. Its only different because this seems to be the first rookie and wasnt it just a couple of years ago that they put a cap on how much 1st round picks get? The point still remains in every sport owners cut players before their contracts are up so you just cant say players cant do the same.
I think 2013 was the first year of the rookie wage scale. So it's been in place about 7 years now.

I always hear the argument about teams being able to cut players and that contracts should be fully guaranteed. But players can have them fully guaranteed. They can negotiate for it. Most do in fact have a portion of their contract guaranteed. And frankly I think the ability to cut a player and keep some of that money helps to keep a player motivated. If they are going to make the money regardless, what is their motivation to show up and work their ass off? Clearly winning football games isn't enough motivation for some guys.

Like I said, no one is returning their signing bonus because their play goes to shit. So why should a guy not even close to free agency be bitching that the 8 mil he will count against the cap isn't enough.

Rev

Staff member
I think 2013 was the first year of the rookie wage scale. So it's been in place about 7 years now.

I always hear the argument about teams being able to cut players and that contracts should be fully guaranteed. But players can have them fully guaranteed. They can negotiate for it. Most do in fact have a portion of their contract guaranteed. And frankly I think the ability to cut a player and keep some of that money helps to keep a player motivated. If they are going to make the money regardless, what is their motivation to show up and work their ass off? Clearly winning football games isn't enough motivation for some guys.

Like I said, no one is returning their signing bonus because their play goes to shit. So why should a guy not even close to free agency be bitching that the 8 mil he will count against the cap isn't enough.
Like I said earlier I think this is just a case of how the RB is treated now. Doubt it happens with any other position.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Like I said earlier I think this is just a case of how the RB is treated now. Doubt it happens with any other position.
Yeah I mean I think a RB is slightly different. By the time they are 3-5 years into their career their best years may be behind them. Most positions that isn't the case. But it could be. I mean some players burn out early at every position except maybe QB. Wouldn't those players have the same case? Maybe LVE worries the wear and tear will get to his body.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
He won’t be the first will he?

p1_

DCC 4Life

Cujo

DCC 4Life
Well, he's been to a super bowl, so...

Rev

Staff member
Or maybe he’s not gonna get paid.
You dont actually believe this do you? Maybe he wont get 100 guaranteed but they are going to throw big money at him. My only concern is how much more is it going to cost if he waits and they have a good season.

p1_

DCC 4Life
this is perhaps the next deal to be done.

Top Bottom