Please please please

Lotuseater

Banned
Opposing offensive lines are going to be trying to block our front, but I guarantee you they will have one eye on our extremely fast LBs. They have to block them too, and Carter and Lee are going to be responsible for more headaches than any two players out there.

I think once the whole product is on the field, its going to all come together. We will finally have a defense that feeds off each other.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I'd like to talk more about this, but apparently we will have no shortcomings on the DL or LB corps.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I'm not saying he is not going to be effective, he is just not going to be this new secret weapon for us than opposing offense did not see coming. His pass rushing is not really what I am worried about, I'd run at him if I am on the other team. Wear him down that way, slow down his pass rush as the game went on.

That was the book on Haley too. I don't think it really worked if I remember correctly, but of course we had more run stuffers in the middle.

Lotuseater

Banned
I'm not saying it will be perfect, but I think you have less cause to worry about sucking this year on defense than most previous years, and some good stuff to look forward to there.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
I'm not saying he is not going to be effective, he is just not going to be this new secret weapon for us than opposing offense did not see coming. His pass rushing is not really what I am worried about, I'd run at him if I am on the other team. Wear him down that way, slow down his pass rush as the game went on.
Fortunately, teams just don't do a lot of running any more in this league. I don't think we're going to be facing many teams with a Schottenheimer style power running game. Most teams will be running some kind of spread, either pure passing like the Packers and Pats, or Read-Option like the Skins and Seahawks. Having quicker DEs that can rush the passer in the first case, or keep contain against a mobile passer in the second case should be an advantage.

I'd like to talk more about this, but apparently we will have no shortcomings on the DL or LB corps.
Now, the LBs on the other hand do worry me quite a bit. We should be adequate while the starters are healthy, but with no depth we could start getting rapidly exposed there when injuries hit.

I'm also far less sold on the DTs than I am on the DEs.

Last edited:

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
The problem with Ware is that he had more space to work in with the 3-4, just by the scheme alone he is closer to the OT and they'll get their hands on him quicker, slowing down his quickness. He is going to have to adjust more than opposing offenses.
His decision making process will be much simpler and he can shoot a gap much more quickly than a guy 100 pounds heavier. I've seen Chris Doleman get over 20 sacks in this exact defense.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
His decision making process will be much simpler and he can shoot a gap much more quickly than a guy 100 pounds heavier. I've seen Chris Doleman get over 20 sacks in this exact defense.
I would put Ware in Chris Doleman's class as a player. Remains to be seen if Ratliff can even be a poor man's Randle, I think that's the issue.

Lotuseater

Banned
I think we will all be surprised how well Ratliff plays in this defense. They way he slips blocks, he will live in the backfield. Watch.

Bob Roberts

Professor StinkFinger
Even I don't want Jerry dead. A severe beating? Sure, but not dead.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
The problem with Ware is that he had more space to work in with the 3-4, just by the scheme alone he is closer to the OT and they'll get their hands on him quicker, slowing down his quickness. He is going to have to adjust more than opposing offenses.
Wouldn't his quickness make it more difficult for the OT to get his hands on him with less distance(time) to react?
It will make it easier to slow down his momentum since he won't have much, but not his quickness.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Jerry dies tomorrow, so what?

Then everyone has to wish goof son dead for a long time.

Then satan spawn grandson.....

Jerry wins....you lose.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Wouldn't his quickness make it more difficult for the OT to get his hands on him with less distance(time) to react?
It will make it easier to slow down his momentum since he won't have much, but not his quickness.
I would say if Ware had more time to get going that he would beat them to the edges quicker.

Carp

DCC 4Life
why would the quicker player need more time to get going? Seems backwards to me.
I don't know, you guys are the experts, tell me. I think I would rather have a quicker player closer to me than farther away.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
I would say if Ware had more time to get going that he would beat them to the edges quicker.
Don't the Tackles line up a yard behind on passing downs so they have more time to react?

Carp

DCC 4Life
That is my line of thinking, I'd rather have a quicker guy closer to me.

Lotuseater

Banned
The quicker Guy up close is more dangerous. You want the quicker Guy further away to nullify his quickness with distance.

You bring him in close and his quickness is an advantage because you have less time to react.

Angrymesscan

DCC 4Life
That is my line of thinking, I'd rather have a quicker guy closer to me.
Have you ever tried the "catch a dollar bill" trick? To me the same principal applies, the closer he is the shorter the time to react. Now if you think that OT's don't react...

Top Bottom