Pit bulls are the worst dogs ever...

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Human Society says bring her in and do the deed tomorrow. Geez. Not good.
Sorry you have to go through this. Having to put down a family pet for any reason really sucks.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

EZ22

The One Who Knocks
Yeah, it really sucks. But you gotta do it.

There is nothing worse than a dog you can't trust (as far as pets go).

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Chihuahua.

But to be fair....its a big Chihuahua.

:unsure

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
The neighbor that got knocked down is really upset knowing that we are giving the dog up. She feels really bad and wants to offer training for the dog.

Honestly, guilt has set in for me. I'm thinking of all of the stuff that we could have done to make this a better dog. What is up with me? Why do I feel so bad?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Because you want to keep the dog and you have been made aware of the potential problems. Your head says I know better but your desire says otherwise. You are conflicted and you know you are leaning the wrong way so the guilt sets in. You are going to keep the dog so you have just flipped off all the folks who gave you practical advise for your benefit.

That will be $400.00 please.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Pit bull chews off Conn. owner's arm, hand

WILTON, CONN. — In a scene out of a horror movie, a pit bull -- apparently without provocation -- attacked its owner, tearing out one of her arms and ripping off her other hand.

The victim, Anne Murray, 56, was recovering at a local hospital, her son Matthew Murray said Tuesday.

"She's better -- she's awake now," he said. "I don't really know what happened. I just want to stay with her and get her to a full recovery."

The attack at the Murrays' Wilton, Conn. home, 50 miles northeast of New York City, happened about 11:30 a.m. Monday. Police Lt. Donald Wakeman said one passing motorist, and then another, stopped because the dog had wandered into the road.

"The first motorist found the dog to be somewhat aggressive, so she retreated to her car," Wakeman said. "And then one of the two motorists heard someone calling for help, so she called 911."

He said the dog in the street was the one that attacked Murray, who was found underneath a vehicle in her driveway, trying to fend off the animal, said Wakeman, the Wilton Police Department spokesman.

The first arriving officer, Capt. John Lynch, determined that the dog was an immediate threat to the victim and others nearby, so he shot and killed the dog, Wakeman said. The pit bull's remains will be tested for rabies at a state laboratory, officials said.

In additional to the loss of a limb and another hand, Murray had bite wounds all over her body, Wakeman said. She was brought by ambulance to Norwalk Hospital, where she was listed in stable condition.

"She lost all of her left arm and a portion of her right arm," he said.

Monday's mauling recalls the 2009 chimpanzee attack on Charla Nash in nearby Stamford. In that incident she was blinded and horribly mutilated; she later received a face transplant.

But the big difference between that case and Monday's dog attack is that chimpanzees, cute as they may be when they're infants, grow up to be wild animals -- muscular, temperamental and unpredictable ones at that.

Dogs, conversely, have been domesticated for tens of thousands of years, making Monday's attack all the more terrifying.

Still, pit bulls, although they have legions of admirers, have killed and maimed countless times before. The most recent pit bull death occurred last week in Kernersville, N.C., when 25-year-old Katherine Atkins was set upon by her two dogs while she was attempting to feed them. She had owned the dogs since they were puppies, Kernersville police said.

And last month, 5-year-old Jason Ryan, of Baker City, Ore., was set upon by a neighbor's pit bull. He died in the ambulance. In September, two toddlers were mauled to death by pit bulls, one in Colton, Calif., the other in Gilbert, Ariz.

No one was home at Murray's house on Tuesday, but the front yard bore the remains of what must have been a chaotic and gruesome scene.

The driveway was littered with some of the contents of the ambulance that arrived to take Murray to the hospital, including a pillow, a blanket, a blue latex glove, a blister-pack of bandages and an orange biohazard bag.

Also in the driveway was the pit bull's black nylon collar, with tags bearing his name: "Tux" -- for Tuxedo -- a name that was confirmed by police who said the animal was a 2-year-old male.

Range Road is in a neighborhood of tidy suburban homes, but the red house at number 77 has fallen on hard times. The garage door is mostly missing; a picket fence covers the opening. The electricity meter has a shut-off tag affixed to it.

On the front stoop is a large plastic tub, partially filled with water, into which a winter coat was draped. The front yard is covered in brambles and the mailbox hadn't been emptied in days.

Neighbors said they had never met Anne Murray and that the family kept to themselves. Police said she lives with her twin 26-year-old sons.

"Technically, the dog belonged to one of the sons," Wakeman said. "The sons weren't home all the time, so she took care of the dog when they weren't there. Why the dog turned on her, we don't know."

As was the case in the North Carolina tragedy, Tuxedo was part of the family since puppyhood, police said.

Wakeman said the investigation is continuing.

"At this point, we don't know whether criminal charges will be filed," he said.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
Just to chime in, I have dealt with pit bulls for years and if you are the wrong end of one, they are the worst dogs to be dealing with. On the other hand, having owned 2 of them I can attest they can be the best dog you'll ever own. The 2 I had were amazingly smart, easily trained and loyal to a fault. I always watched them with a wary eye because of reputation, but they never gave me cause for concern with any of my family. I have seen attacks or the aftermath by dogs of all breeds. Back in the 70's it was German Shepards that were was the feared dogs, then Dobies, and then Rots and now the dog dejour to hate is pits. If you don't feel comfortable and are not able to be the alpha in your house don't get a breed of this sort, get a chihuahua or a poodle.

And in your case Skid, put a bullet in that dogs head or feel responsible when something bad happens. Sometimes you just gotta bite the bullet! :art

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Just to chime in, I have dealt with pit bulls for years and if you are the wrong end of one, they are the worst dogs to be dealing with. On the other hand, having owned 2 of them I can attest they can be the best dog you'll ever own. The 2 I had were amazingly smart, easily trained and loyal to a fault. I always watched them with a wary eye because of reputation, but they never gave me cause for concern with any of my family. I have seen attacks or the aftermath by dogs of all breeds. Back in the 70's it was German Shepards that were was the feared dogs, then Dobies, and then Rots and now the dog dejour to hate is pits. If you don't feel comfortable and are not able to be the alpha in your house don't get a breed of this sort, get a chihuahua or a poodle.

And in your case Skid, put a bullet in that dogs head or feel responsible when something bad happens. Sometimes you just gotta bite the bullet! :art
Or in this case let the dog bite the bullet.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
The dog is gone and I feel and enormous amount of guilt after a couple of days has passed.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
The dog is gone and I feel and enormous amount of guilt after a couple of days has passed.
You did the right thing. Always keep that in mind.

Top Bottom