PFT: Ezekiel Elliott has privately said that he’s planning a training-camp*holdout

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
I guess I'm old fashioned with it comes to honoring signed contracts. For some reason, football players believe they deserve an early raise if they overperform, but don't have to return any guaranteed money if they sign the extension and underperform.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
I guess I'm old fashioned with it comes to honoring signed contracts. For some reason, football players believe they deserve an early raise if they overperform, but don't have to return any guaranteed money if they sign the extension and underperform.
I agree about the premise of signed contracts -- BUT, only when the player (his agent) negotiates the deal with the team. You negotiate, make your best deal, and then stick with it. But Zeke never had that opportunity. He was stuck with whatever deal the CBA mandated for rookies.

Football players probably believe they deserve an early raise if they over-perform -- especially in Zeke's case -- because the shelf life of their careers is so limited.

Zeke's over-performance means he's being underpaid because of the restrictions of the rookie contract provision of the CBA. By the time he has a chance to remedy that with a new contract, he has an additional two years of wear and tear, which reduces his value. It's a catch-22.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Today is the dude's birthday and camp starts next week. Any chance he just wants some R-n-R in Mexico?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I agree about the premise of signed contracts -- BUT, only when the player (his agent) negotiates the deal with the team. You negotiate, make your best deal, and then stick with it. But Zeke never had that opportunity. He was stuck with whatever deal the CBA mandated for rookies.

Football players probably believe they deserve an early raise if they over-perform -- especially in Zeke's case -- because the shelf life of their careers is so limited.

Zeke's over-performance means he's being underpaid because of the restrictions of the rookie contract provision of the CBA. By the time he has a chance to remedy that with a new contract, he has an additional two years of wear and tear, which reduces his value. It's a catch-22.
If he sits out I seriously doubt he sits out for the season. Zeke has everything to lose by doing that and it gets him no closer to free agency. I'd say let the guy sit out for camp if he wants to. Keep him as fresh as possible for the start of the season, when the games start he will be there. Unfortunately for Zeke the rules the NFL has put in place just give him no leverage at this point. And I seriously doubt he is prepared to go full nuclear in an attempt to sabotage the Cowboys season to try and get a new contract.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
If he sits out I seriously doubt he sits out for the season. Zeke has everything to lose by doing that and it gets him no closer to free agency. I'd say let the guy sit out for camp if he wants to. Keep him as fresh as possible for the start of the season, when the games start he will be there. Unfortunately for Zeke the rules the NFL has put in place just give him no leverage at this point. And I seriously doubt he is prepared to go full nuclear in an attempt to sabotage the Cowboys season to try and get a new contract.
Holding out on Training camp is never a good thing if a team wants to get off to a good start and build momentum. The way Garrett holds out starters is more than enough to make a team get behind early in the season. Not to mention it will stall the process for the new OC because he can’t install a new system with starters on the bench. Then there is the conditioning to think about.

Elliot is as prone to coming in rusty as any other starter who has seen little contact and zero reps so throwing him into the arena after lounging can’t be helpful in my view.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
There is a 0.0% chance he sits out the season. Bell did it because he was franchised a second time in a row and as the year went on I'm sure he knew the Steelers wouldn't be willing to tie up that much cap space by franchising him again after Conner emerged. Elliott is in a completely different situation with 2 years left on his current deal, with the most obvious difference being that if he sits out he won't be a UFA like Bell was, he'll actually be in the exact same position he is in today, with 2 years remaining on his current deal.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Today is the dude's birthday and camp starts next week. Any chance he just wants some R-n-R in Mexico?
Yes, I think he mostly wants to skip training camp.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I said it once and I'll say it again, he would be dumb to hold out. Some are saying he has leverage now, but with 2 years left on his deal it would only make him look petty and lessen his leverage in the future. If he had one year left I might think differently, but he would be dumb to sit out with 2 years left.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I agree that Elliott holding out is extremely selfish given the bullshit he's put the organization through over the last 2 years, but on the other hand I've long thought that extending him sooner than later was the right move strategically, given that it's pretty much a foregone conclusion that he will be extended. I'd much rather extend him at age 24 than age 26, so with that in mind I hope we do extend him in the next few months.

Cotton

Staff member
I agree that Elliott holding out is extremely selfish given the bullshit he's put the organization through over the last 2 years, but on the other hand I've long thought that extending him sooner than later was the right move strategically, given that it's pretty much a foregone conclusion that he will be extended. I'd much rather extend him at age 24 than age 26, so with that in mind I hope we do extend him in the next few months.
I agree he should be extended. But, they need to get Dak and Cooper's deals done first. They are the priority right now. Get those done and then work on Zeke's.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I agree as far as Dak goes, although I'd be fine waiting out Cooper. It seems that he wants to push to upwards of 20 AAV, and to me I'd let him play out 2019 before making him a top 2-3 paid (maybe even top paid depending on the timing) WR in the league based on half a season. The franchise tag will likely be somewhere around 17, so unless he's willing to accept a deal somewhere around 16-18 a year, I'd make him prove it again this season before making him a top 3 paid WR.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
When you're talking sums in the tens of millions, it tends to bring out the selfishness in anyone. In the NFL, got to take care of yourself. Ain't nobody else going to.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I agree as far as Dak goes, although I'd be fine waiting out Cooper. It seems that he wants to push to upwards of 20 AAV, and to me I'd let him play out 2019 before making him a top 2-3 paid (maybe even top paid depending on the timing) WR in the league based on half a season. The franchise tag will likely be somewhere around 17, so unless he's willing to accept a deal somewhere around 16-18 a year, I'd make him prove it again this season before making him a top 3 paid WR.
I wouldn’t call giving us a chance at two playoff runs “bullshit”

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
And derailing another season while continually doing unnecessary, albeit minor dumb shit (weed shop, supposedly getting into a fight with a DJ, this latest idiocy in Vegas), is indeed bullshit. I'm all for giving Elliott a 4/60 deal right now, but given how loyal and supportive the organization has been to him through his nonsense I'd expect a little reciprocity from his end.

Cotton

Staff member

Top Bottom