PFT: Ezekiel Elliott has privately said that he’s planning a training-camp*holdout

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Sometimes you have to lock the door and hold your position rather than let a potential powder keg player dictate how you run your organization. If you cave to demands with this individual they might be a few games away from another blowup and be on the bench by order of the commissioner. It’s too big a monetary gamble to play the odds. You say no or tell the player to show me you can keep your nose clean before you make demands on the organization.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Sometimes you have to lock the door and hold your position rather than let a potential powder keg player dictate how you run your organization. If you cave to demands with this individual they might be a few games away from another blowup and be on the bench by order of the commissioner. It’s too big a monetary gamble to play the odds. You say no or tell the player to show me you can keep your nose clean before you make demands on the organization.
There are always conditions that you can write into the contract that will prevent that. I'm sure it's already been discussed as well.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
There are always conditions that you can write into the contract that will prevent that. I'm sure it's already been discussed as well.
You can but I don't think Zeke necissarily wants to agree to that. I think the guaranteed money portion of his contract is probably a big sticking point.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I do agree with you on this point.

In the past you've pointed out that he has 2 years remaining on his contract but the Cowboys have handed out early contract extensions before. They did it with Tyron Smith. Personally I think his history of personal conduct has probably been the biggest hangup in these negotiations. If he were a model citizen on and off the field I think he'd have received his extension by now and that the Cowboys would be well beyond this story.

From the Cowboys perspective I understand how hard it would be to hand over a large guaranteed contract to a player who hasn't shown he can stay out of trouble. And oh BTW, I'm sure it makes them even more nervous knowing Roger Goodell and his cronies history of randomly suspending players even when no criminal charges have been filed.

deadrise

DCC 4Life
The last contract offer that made it into the media seemed fair given Elliott's history. And if the team wanted to include a personal conduct clause that gave them an off-ramp from guaranteed money in the event of another off-field screw-up, that also seems fair -- and prudent.

When a guy like Elliott gets into the realm of generational wealth, he has to have some realization that it's time to control his behavior. If he doesn't, tough shit.

Rev

Staff member
I do agree with you on this point.

In the past you've pointed out that he has 2 years remaining on his contract but the Cowboys have handed out early contract extensions before. They did it with Tyron Smith. Personally I think his history of personal conduct has probably been the biggest hangup in these negotiations. If he were a model citizen on and off the field I think he'd have received his extension by now and that the Cowboys would be well beyond this story.

From the Cowboys perspective I understand how hard it would be to hand over a large guaranteed contract to a player who hasn't shown he can stay out of trouble. And oh BTW, I'm sure it makes them even more nervous knowing Roger Goodell and his cronies history of randomly suspending players even when no criminal charges have been filed.
Well it's something that they are going to have to deal with for the awhile. Even if he is clean the idiots out there are going to try and instigate stuff with him. Its already happening. They see a quick buck the minute he is even in the area. He is to blame for that based on past behaviors but there has to be a time where he is allowed to show that he has changed (if he truly has).

Sheik

DCC 4Life
You do if you have the QB that we have.
I get that. That’s why it’s insane to put all your eggs in The Dak basket. Essentially you’re paying Dak top dollar(I think we all agree it’s going there) because of the team you’ve built around him. Not because he’s an elite QB.

Baltimore was in a similar position all those years back when Dilfer was their QB. The team was pretty damned good around him, but I think they made the right decision. They’ve won it all again since then, too.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Elliott's problem is that no one else is gonna give him the money he's asking for. What teams out there will be willing to make him the top paid RB in the league with the miles he has, and with his disciplinary history? And given that the most recent comp is Bell's contract, not Gurley's.

I think if I was the Joneses I would start reducing his offer. And he can come play for it or never play in the NFL again, since I have his rights for 4 more years basically (with the franchise tag).

I'd say trade him, and I certainly would, but who is gonna give up big assets for him when they won't be able to agree to a contract? He's clearly being unreasonable.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
I'd say trade him, and I certainly would, but who is gonna give up big assets for him when they won't be able to agree to a contract?
He's also one more indiscretion away from being banned for perhaps an entire year. That too suppresses his desirability.

Rev

Staff member
Cant wait for his first TD.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Elliott's problem is that no one else is gonna give him the money he's asking for. What teams out there will be willing to make him the top paid RB in the league with the miles he has, and with his disciplinary history? And given that the most recent comp is Bell's contract, not Gurley's.

I think if I was the Joneses I would start reducing his offer. And he can come play for it or never play in the NFL again, since I have his rights for 4 more years basically (with the franchise tag).

I'd say trade him, and I certainly would, but who is gonna give up big assets for him when they won't be able to agree to a contract? He's clearly being unreasonable.
I agree with all of this. Sure we have extended guys two years early in the past. But none of them threatened to hold out if we didn't get a deal done. Obviously the team wants to get a deal done with Zeke but it's a different situation when a player threatens the well being of the team if they don't get the deal they want.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He's also one more indiscretion away from being banned for perhaps an entire year. That too suppresses his desirability.
That's the way the team should look at it. But I'm sure Zeke looks at it the other way. He didn't do anything and was suspended anyway. Why would he want a clause in the contract that could cost him millions if he is suspended again for no good reason. I wouldn't want that risk if I was in Zeke's shoes.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Absolutely the wrong thing to do. Now he will think all he has to do is continue to hold out. This will probably get worse before it gets better.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Absolutely the wrong thing to do. Now he will think all he has to do is continue to hold out. This will probably get worse before it gets better.
This needs to be the final offer.

No more.

Either show up or you can sit out till you accept it.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

No more.

Yep . Final move should be what just happened and no more. Should have been stated with the offer. I guess we will see maybe over the weekend because the final preseason game is Thursday night and the regular season preparation will commence on the weekend.

Rev

Staff member
Why? They already came out and said his contract should start at Gurley money.

Get your money, Zeke. Rbs are abused and then thrown away now. I will change my tune if we see other positions do this but I'm positive its just the case of the way the owners now view the position.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member

No more.

When was the last time Jerry took a hard line stance in contract negotiations with one of his star players? Was it Emmitt?

Top Bottom