PFT: Draft needs: Dallas Cowboys

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That CBA really changed how you have to look at draft picks.

You draft a QB, you must take him high and you must start him ASAP. NFL rookie contracts are 4 years. A year (or two) sitting, and the next year (or two years later) learning the ropes and you just aren't getting value for your selection. On top of that, QB's aren't going to develop on a team behind Garrett and Wilson, especially without starting reps. Stephen McGee's absence from the league is all the proof I need to know that.

So if we draft Bortles it should be because we are making him our backup this year, have a serious plan to get him reps in games, and he's our opening day starter in 2015.
You get a 5th year option on first round picks. And I don't buy the bullshit that after the rookie contract the QB is just going to bolt. Teams rarely if ever let a good QB go. So even if he isn't starting until year 3 or 4, if he shows up as a stud the pick is a win.

With that being said if we drafted a QB in the first this year. That would be exactly my plan. Let Romo play this year and then move on from him and his crazy contract. In the mean time I'm building the crap out of this defense.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
That CBA really changed how you have to look at draft picks.

You draft a QB, you must take him high and you must start him ASAP. NFL rookie contracts are 4 years.
Not 100% true.

Yeah, you cannot sit them for three years Aaron Rodgers-style, but you do not have to absolutely play them from the second you draft them.

If you take a QB in the first round, you can exercise a fifth year option.

If I were running a team, I would not feel pressured to start a first round QB the first year any more now than I did in previous years.

A year (or two) sitting, and the next year (or two years later) learning the ropes and you just aren't getting value for your selection.
As bad as the QB talent in this league is, value is fleeting. If I can secure a good one and keep their rights for five years, that is not a huge deal.

On top of that, QB's aren't going to develop on a team behind Garrett and Wilson, especially without starting reps. Stephen McGee's absence from the league is all the proof I need to know that.
Bad, real bad example. McGee just couldn't play.

Top Bottom