Pet cats

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Starting to get pretty intrigued by Shaquill Griffin, the CB out of UCF. He's 6'0", 194 pounds, ran a 4.38 40 at the combine with a 38.5 inch vert and 11 foot broad jump, has ball skills (4 INTs last year), long arms and appears to be a good Cover 2 fit. Would be a great 5th round pick.
Yeah that late in the draft why not? That's essentially what we did last year with Brown. Find an elite athlete from a big program and try to hit gold.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Starting to get pretty intrigued by Shaquill Griffin, the CB out of UCF. He's 6'0", 194 pounds, ran a 4.38 40 at the combine with a 38.5 inch vert and 11 foot broad jump, has ball skills (4 INTs and 15 PBUs last year), long arms and appears to be a good Cover 2 fit. Would be a great 5th round pick.
Matt Cassel will prevent this pick in the 5th.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Starting to get pretty intrigued by Shaquill Griffin, the CB out of UCF. He's 6'0", 194 pounds, ran a 4.38 40 at the combine with a 38.5 inch vert and 11 foot broad jump, has ball skills (4 INTs and 15 PBUs last year), long arms and appears to be a good Cover 2 fit. Would be a great 5th round pick.
Why is he considered a 5th?

With those measurables and stats he should be pushing for a 2nd day pick.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Matt Cassel will prevent this pick in the 5th.
I want to go on record as saying I was one of the ones who ripped that trade apart as being the biggest waste of time and picks ever. It's still amazing to me that Cassel can go for a fifth round pick. But god forbid no one will give us a damn fifth round pick for Tony Romo.

22cowboysfan22

Brand New Member

Not really sure TBH, he has excellent measurables (very comparable to Marlon Humphrey and actually slightly better in most aspects), has good film over the past two years (6 total INTs and 26 total PBUs), and comes out of a decent program in UCF. The story about him and his brother is really cool too (his brother notched 11.5 sacks this past season while playing with one hand): http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000794221/article/shaquill-griffin-stuck-by-his-twin-now-nfl-teams-are-catching-up

Prior to the combine he was considered a UDFA. Forgot that we have no 5th thanks to Cassel, but we could easily pick one up with some draft day moves, or just grab him in the 4th if his stock keeps going up as the draft approaches.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

Probably because based off his tape, he's not worth a 2nd or 3rd. Not aware of anyone that has him in their top 100 prospects, which is what it would take to go in the first three rounds.

So you look at "measurables and stats" to determine round worthiness?

It took me watching one game of his against Arkansas State to peg him as a late round type...which means 5th or later in this class.

Jiggyfly

Banned
Probably because based off his tape, he's not worth a 2nd or 3rd. Not aware of anyone that has him in their top 100 prospects, which is what it would take to go in the first three rounds.

So you look at "measurables and stats" to determine round worthiness?

It took me watching one game of his against Arkansas State to peg him as a late round type...which means 5th or later in this class.
Careful it seems that kind of questioning is frowned on around here by some.

Actually I don't go by that to rank a player which is why I asked the question.

Had not looked at any rankings of the guy, just wanted to get an idea of what his weaknesses are.

So what are his issues?

Stiff, no instincts, dog chasing a car?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Careful it seems that kind of questioning is frowned on around here by some.

Actually I don't go by that to rank a player which is why I asked the question.

Had not looked at any rankings of the guy, just wanted to get an idea of what his weaknesses are.

So what are his issues?

Stiff, no instincts, dog chasing a car?
In what I saw, he was overaggressive. Made plays, gave them up too.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
In what I saw, he was overaggressive. Made plays, gave them up too.
Yeah generally speaking it's usually because a guy got burned too much. That's what the knock on Anthony Brown was last year too even though he had 4.3 speed and all that good stuff.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Josh Malone, WR, Tennessee

Guys, trust me on this. I knew Justin Hunter, WR, Tennessee was going to be a star. I knew Robert Meachum, WR, Tennessee was going to be a star. I knew D'arrick Rogers, WR, Tennessee was going to be a star. I like Malone better than all of them.

:unsure
My Vols have been good at recruiting 4* WR's but lately only Meachum ever really panned out. I see the Steelers recently signed Hunter so he gets one more chance.

Malone was one of the more recent stud WR's signed by UT but often had trouble even getting on the field. I don't see him going earlier than day 3.

midswat

... soon
My Vols have been good at recruiting 4* WR's but lately only Meachum ever really panned out. I see the Steelers recently signed Hunter so he gets one more chance.

Malone was one of the more recent stud WR's signed by UT but often had trouble even getting on the field. I don't see him going earlier than day 3.
Hunter has never been the same since he tore his ACL in college.

Malone was a 5*. It's not that he had trouble getting on the field, its that Dobbs was an athlete playing QB and the Vols coaching staff can't maximize talent - hence Kamara hardly doing anything. Once Hurd left and Kamara was the main guy, you saw how electric it was.

I don't think Malone will be Jerry Rice or anything, but I wanted him in Dallas. Definitely was under used in Tennessee and he has the size, speed, pedigree, hands, etc. He'll be a decent pro.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Hunter has never been the same since he tore his ACL in college.

Malone was a 5*. It's not that he had trouble getting on the field, its that Dobbs was an athlete playing QB and the Vols coaching staff can't maximize talent - hence Kamara hardly doing anything. Once Hurd left and Kamara was the main guy, you saw how electric it was.

I don't think Malone will be Jerry Rice or anything, but I wanted him in Dallas. Definitely was under used in Tennessee and he has the size, speed, pedigree, hands, etc. He'll be a decent pro.
Agree that he had a subpar QB at UT. And he did run a 4.41 at the combines which will catch a lot of teams attention. He would definitely be worth a look on day 3.

Top Bottom