Per Fisher....Free Takes Pay Cut

Jiggyfly

Banned
The only question you should ask yourself is if Free is worth 3.5 mil for this up coming season. If he is, then it is a good move. If he isn't, then it is a bad move. The signing bonus is a sunk cost. That money is gone. To say that you're thrilled because there is no "dead cap" shows no understanding of economics.
As opposed to saving 7 million against the cap over the next to years, yes its a great move.

This is not "economics" in a vacuum its about the ramifications cap wise of keeping or cutting Free, we are saving 4 million dollars against the cap next year, sunk cost has nothing to do with this discussion.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
You think he paid his signing bonus back?
Or his new contract changed his signing bonus, or the prorate of it.

Who knows? I have yet to see the new contract specifics.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
This is not "economics" in a vacuum its about the ramifications cap wise of keeping or cutting Free, we are saving 4 million dollars against the cap next year, sunk cost has nothing to do with this discussion.
:lol

It has everything to do with it. You can't look at it in the vacuum of one season. How does it affect our cap the following year? The year after? The year after that? You're basically saying it is ok to pay extra money in order to distribute the money differently. I would say who gives a shit about how it is distributed. In totality you are paying him 3.5 mil more by keeping him then you would by not keeping him.

Jiggyfly

Banned
:lol

It has everything to do with it. You can't look at it in the vacuum of one season. How does it affect our cap the following year? The year after? The year after that? You're basically saying it is ok to pay extra money in order to distribute the money differently. I would say who gives a shit about how it is distributed. In totality you are paying him 3.5 mil more by keeping him then you would by not keeping him.
What are you talking about?

From the reports after this season he counts zero against the cap, I don't know what kind of math you are using to think we are paying him 3.5 million more to keep him.

Jerry is saving 3.5 million alone in real money this year.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
What are you talking about?

From the reports after this season he counts zero against the cap, I don't know what kind of math you are using to think we are paying him 3.5 million more to keep him.

Jerry is saving 3.5 million alone in real money this year.
That doesn't make any sense. You can't just clear signing bonus money that you have already paid the man magically. Not unless he paid the money back to the Cowboys.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
If it was accelerated to this year and we are only on the hook for 3.5ish for 2013 then it worked out to be a good move for us. I mean, it was a terrible move by signing him in the first place, but still....

Cotton

Staff member
If it was accelerated to this year and we are only on the hook for 3.5ish for 2013 then it worked out to be a good move for us. I mean, it was a terrible move by signing him in the first place, but still....
From everything I have read they are still on the books for his original signing bonus regardless. So, his prorated cap hit still happens next year, I think. I will yield to others that know more than me.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
From everything I have read they are still on the books for his original signing bonus regardless. So, his prorated cap hit still happens next year, I think. I will yield to others that know more than me.
It is too late. You already didn't yield.

Cotton

Staff member
It is too late. You already didn't yield.
I'm fairly sure what I have read is correct, but maybe I'm missing something.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Hopefully he plays at his 2010 level or we're overpaying him by 3.5 million.

Top Bottom