Packers Stuff...

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Cowboys' plan: Keep Aaron Rodgers in the pocket
12:00 PM CT
Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas -- The Dallas Cowboys know they have to keep Aaron Rodgers in the pocket Sunday when the take on the Green Bay Packers, but knowing it and accomplishing it are two different things.

The Cowboys knew they had to keep Rodgers in the pocket last January in the playoff meeting.

According to ESPN Stats & Information, Rodgers completed 7 of 9 passes for 136 yards and a touchdown from outside the pocket. The 35-yard completion to Jared Cook that set up the game-winning field goal came on a designed rollout.

'The key is we've got to do everything we can to work hard to pressure him, keep him in the well and be able to get him there," Cowboys defensive coordinator Rod Marinelli said. "Make him a pocket passer. Easier said than done."

Rodgers has been sacked 15 times in the Packers' first four games and he might not have either tackle, Bryan Bulaga or David Bakhtiari, because of injury.

The Cowboys' pass rush has been more productive than expected, mostly because of DeMarcus Lawrence, who leads the NFL with 7.5 sacks.

Only Carson Palmer, Tom Brady and Alex Smith have been sacked more than Rodgers this season.

"You always want to control the pocket," coach Jason Garrett said. "You always want to keep the quarterback in the pocket and affect him as much as you can without letting him get out in space and get to where he's more comfortable. Aaron Rodgers is a great quarterback -- in the pocket, out of the pocket, going right, going left."

Cotton

Staff member

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
That sucked but 2014 bothered me more.

Yes, we could've won this game too, but 2014 was a game we absolutely gave away. We should have won that day and should have done so by 2 scores.

We had Romo playing the best of his career, Dez doing the same, and a defense that for all of its flaws, knew how to close out a game and create turnovers.

If any Cowboys team in recent memory could've lucked into a SB, it was that one.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
That sucked but 2014 bothered me more.

Yes, we could've won this game too, but 2014 was a game we absolutely gave away. We should have won that day and should have done so by 2 scores.

We had Romo playing the best of his career, Dez doing the same, and a defense that for all of its flaws, knew how to close out a game and create turnovers.

If any Cowboys team in recent memory could've lucked into a SB, it was that one.

Agreed.

2014 was the year to win it.

The offense figured out that they didn't have to put it all on Romo's shoulders and they heavily relied on the productive running game.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I believe this game will come down to our defensive front 4. If our DL gives us another performance like last week's the Packers will probably roll to a comfortable win.

I'm particularly hoping for a stronger game from our interior defensive linemen. If Collins and crew can control the middle of the line I think the Cowboys will be in pretty good shape.

midswat

... soon
I was still a huge homer back 2007, 2009 years but I for real went into both playoffs thinking we had the best shot to get there. Especially 2009. Loved our chances against Minny.

2014 we should’ve won. But I don’t think the Dez non catch screwed us. Too much time left and AR and Devante Adams would’ve easily gotten into FG range to win.

Last year was a tragically blown opportunity. Seemed the stars aligned all season for us. That was a storybook season that should’ve been profiled on America’s Game. We came out flat and unprepared against GB and it cost us again.

Personally I think it’ll be a few years if not longer before we’re serious post season threats.

data

Forbes #1
Last year was a tragically blown opportunity. Seemed the stars aligned all season for us. That was a storybook season that should’ve been profiled on America’s Game. We came out flat and unprepared against GB and it cost us again.
Jordy Nelson out. Converted-WR-at-RB. #1 seed. Yah...I'd say tragically blown, NY-style.

Only silver lining is that...and this is reaching...is if Dak reaching a Super Bowl strengthens Romo's overrated/choke legacy.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Jordy Nelson out. Converted-WR-at-RB. #1 seed. Yah...I'd say tragically blown, NY-style.

Only silver lining is that...and this is reaching...is if Dak reaching a Super Bowl strengthens Romo's overrated/choke legacy.
You're definitely reaching; especially if you're suggesting the Cowboys have a shot at reaching a Super Bow with Garrett leading the way.

He's already wasted the careers of Witten, Romo, and Ware. Unless Jerry finally sees the light and makes a coaching change we're going to be having this same conversation 10 years from now, pointing out how Garrett's wasted the careers of Dak, Dez, Zeke, Martin, T. Smith, etc.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
You're definitely reaching; especially if you're suggesting the Cowboys have a shot at reaching a Super Bow with Garrett leading the way.

He's already wasted the careers of Witten, Romo, and Ware. Unless Jerry finally sees the light and makes a coaching change we're going to be having this same conversation 10 years from now, pointing out how Garrett's wasted the careers of Dak, Dez, Zeke, Martin, T. Smith, etc.
I cant take 10 more years of Garrett. Just wont do it.

1bigfan13

Staff member
The other thing that concerns me about this game is the Packers having the extra rest and prep time. Little stuff like that matters. I think it was a contributing factor in last week's game against the Rams as well.

midswat

... soon
The other thing that concerns me about this game is the Packers having the extra rest and prep time. Little stuff like that matters. I think it was a contributing factor in last week's game against the Rams as well.
Disagree about last week. We smoked them the first half. They made adjustments and we abandoned the run.

I don’t think a few days of prep work helped, otherwise they wouldn’t have gone into the half down double digits

Cotton

Staff member
Hell, so [MENTION=6]1bigfan13[/MENTION] doesn't have to take the L, I should probably just start the chatter thread and let the loss fall on me.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Hell, so [MENTION=6]1bigfan13[/MENTION] doesn't have to take the L, I should probably just start the chatter thread and let the loss fall on me.
I already beat you to it. I ain't skeered.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Thank god, have we ever won after you started a chatter thread. Your disregard for this teams record disgusts me.

Top Bottom