Orton signs with Bills...

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
If Orton wanted to retire then he's screwed the Cowboys out of their bonus and is currently jobbing the Bills by taking a position he has no desire to fulfill. I doubt this as I don't think even the Bills would accept a player who didn't practice, prepare, and learn the offense.

If Orton just wanted out of Dallas, then he only screwed Jerry Jones.

I think he just wanted out of Dallas.

I either case, he made the Cowboys front office look like idiots with all their "confidence in Orton" talk.
So screwing Jerry Jones is okay? Orton is no different than a bank robber who planned and executed his scheme. But I guess that would be okay too if it was a bank you didn't like.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
It does sound like there may have been some tampering, also saw a couple people tweeting Orton sold his house here in Dallas right after last season though never did see that verified by anybody credible
It does seem like he wanted out after that final game. Maybe because he was starting, he got a look at Garrett's game plan for the first time... :tippytoe

Genghis Khan

As an aside, I know there is some debate about this, but I didn't think Orton was particularly good that game against a very beatable Eagles team. I am not a fan of Weedon either, but it's not like Orton was helping us win any games, so good riddance.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
It does seem like he wanted out after that final game. Maybe because he was starting, he got a look at Garrett's game plan for the first time... :tippytoe
:lol maybe

In any case Orton may have thought he would end up playing quite abit here with Tony's back situation and figured if he had to play might as well go somewhere with a defense and an OC who wouldn't call 46 pass plays with a backup qb starting

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Getting cut is part of the terms of a contract? I would like to see those terms.
Yes it is. If a player isn't performing the franchise has a right to cut them. It is no different than any other employee/ employer relationship. When a contract is involved it then becomes a "terminated for cause" circumstance and the cause is substandard performance. I'll bet your agreement with clients have the same contingencies.

Genghis Khan

Getting cut is part of the terms of a contract? I would like to see those terms.
I'd guess it probably is.

These terms do not guarantee employment beyond x date...no monies aside from designated "signing bonus" are guaranteed...aforementioned salary in years beyond x date are contingent upon continued employment...etc.

I'd be pretty surprised if they don't have terms like that, which is essentially saying you could get cut.

Genghis Khan

:lol maybe

In any case Orton may have thought he would end up playing quite abit here with Tony's back situation and figured if he had to play might as well go somewhere with a defense and an OC who wouldn't call 46 pass plays with a backup qb starting
Yep. It's strange because Orton came here knowing full well he'd just be the backup without any chance of starting. Even though Orton probably could competed for a starting job somewhere.

And the only thing that's changed since then is Romo's back problems means there is more of a chance Orton will play a bunch of snaps. Seems odd timing he'd want out now.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
So screwing Jerry Jones is okay?
No sir it is not.

Orton didn't want to retire. He wanted to play as a backup, just not for Dallas. This is straight from the Elway/Eli playbook.

I wonder what the Hell happened that would turn him off like that.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
No sir it is not.

Orton didn't want to retire. He wanted to play as a backup, just not for Dallas. This is straight from the Elway/Eli playbook.

I have no idea what happened but he was under contract and chose to manipulate the organization as a vehicle to opt out. An honorable person would decide to fulfill his obligation or request the contract be altered. He did neither. Instead he used devious practices to obtain his way out.

Genghis Khan

No sir it is not.

Probably unhappy with the Dallas area strip clubs.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Deal is supposedly 5 million for 1 year, didn't think he would get anywhere close to that

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
NFL.com's Ian Rapoport reports new Bills QB Kyle Orton will make $5 million this season.
As ex-Rotoworlder Chris Wesseling points out, that's as much as Josh McCown is making for the Bucs. The Bills have clearly lost faith in E.J. Manuel, and appear ready to turn to Orton at a moment's notice. Manuel will keep his job to begin the season as Orton gets up to speed on the playbook, but has no room for error. With the Bills hoping to field one of the league's run-heaviest offenses, Orton will be a bottom-barrel QB2 if/when he gets the call to replace Manuel. Aug 30 - 7:27 PM

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Damn. Orton is a smart guy in terms of making average talent translate into top money.

Props to him.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I bet he ends up starting by week 4...Manuel is horrid. Marrone has to start putting some wins up.

Top Bottom