One-Third Mark Observations of the Cowboys

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
The next four games are big.

v. Washington
@ Philadelphia
@ Detroit
v. Minnesota

I want to say we can go 3-1 there. Hell, they are all winnable.

More likely 2-2, of course, or worse, given the ups and downs.
I think we go 1-3 in those games. Seriously.

This defense is that bad.

And count me in as one of the few who will step out and say expecting Romo to play like he did yesterday for the remainder of the season is just asking for waves of INTS. Its going to happen...Brady Bottle Lock It.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Looking at the schedule, I see us at 6-8 going into the final 2 games @ Wash and vs. Philly. At best we could be 7-7 at that point. We'll probably split the last two and finish 7-9 or 8-8. More of the same. More Garrett...more Romo...more wadding in mediocrity. Good times ahead.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
We should, though. Tackle or guard.
I agree. QB, DL or OL.

Seeing how we took OL twice in the 1st round in the last 4 years though, including last year, I am 99.9% sure we won't do it again in this upcoming draft. DL is a major option, but no guarantee any of the 3 DL will be available...or even a fit in Kiffin's crappy scheme. With Romo's contract QB is probably out of the equation. That'll basically leave DB or LB. :picard

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I'm sure a safety is a high priority, so we can watch QBs dissect the secondary again and again as we get no pressure for 2014 and beyond.

We've been trying to line up a first round pick at safety for a few years now so it will happen soon.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I think we go 1-3 in those games. Seriously.

This defense is that bad.

And count me in as one of the few who will step out and say expecting Romo to play like he did yesterday for the remainder of the season is just asking for waves of INTS. Its going to happen...Brady Bottle Lock It.
I see more of a 2-2 record during that streak. Three of those teams who are in worse shape than Dallas and they have worse QBs.

Minny's only win came against a horrid Steelers team.

Detroit is solid so we probably lose that one on the road.

Philly is a trainwreck on defense and their offense has sputtered since week 2. I'd lean Dallas but you never know since the game is in Philly.

Washington has been pretty bad on offense and defense as well and their only win came against Oakland.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
I'm sure a safety is a high priority, so we can watch QBs dissect the secondary again and again as we get no pressure for 2014 and beyond.

We've been trying to line up a first round pick at safety for a few years now so it will happen soon.
I'd say safety is probably 1st or 2nd on their list of needs, when it should come after DL, QB and OL.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I've griped about the defense constantly giving up 7 or 8 free yards and Schmitty commented that that's kind of what the Tampa 2 does. I don't agree with that.
You are right. Kiffen's scheme was designed to stop the West Coast Offense whose bread and butter are underneath passes.

In this defense everyone is a pass defender. The most notable changes that separates it from the traditional 4-3 is the use of all four down linemen to rush the passer and the transformation of the MLB from a walking brick to a tough athletic guy who can cover anyone.

What's clear to me so far is the linebackers are both not getting this defense and not being protected by the DL. The DL lacks the stoutness to destroy the run and the interior guys have no push whatsoever when the offense focuses on Hatcher.

They need speed and power up front, like KC is getting from Dontari Poe, for example. They need guys who can fill for a 30-year old like DeMarcus Ware with quality snaps. It all starts up front.

Brandon Carr has been outstanding. The market price was insane, but the team hit a home run there no question. Scandrick might be having his best season. Church is fine, and while Claiborne has struggled you get the feeling it's a slump he will play through and not a miss.

The secondary's big problem is it's missing any guile whatsoever. The FS position who's normally the QB of the secondary is now a journeyman or a rookie. No game at all, yet.

This defense is a year and some strong draft picks in the front seven away from being good. Sadly, DeMarcus Ware might not last long enough to participate in it and Hatcher is a goner.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
You are right. Kiffen's scheme was designed to stop the West Coast Offense whose bread and butter are underneath passes.
.... by letting the receivers make the catch short and then tackling immediately before they could separate and make big gains with RAC.

The defense is designed to give up the short completions though. Not by taking them away and letting the WRs go over the top.

Top Bottom