OL vs. Defense (Draft)

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
so, you might factor in the consideration that historically we don't move guys from guard to tackle. Martin and Williams being prime examples.
Not really, no, this coaching staff hasn't even been here 12 months so we don't know what their general stance on it is and you can't really hold the decisions of the previous regime against them.

They already moved Martin as an emergency and seem open to moving guys around. I know a lot of people think we should move Williams to tackle but I'm skeptical as to how successful that'd be, if I had to guess he'd struggle mightily trying to do it in-season and it's something that would have to be attempted in the offseason so he can get plenty of reps.

Of course there's no way of knowing exactly what's going on in their heads, but if it were me making decisions I'd definitely be looking at an LT who I think could kick inside to LG for however long Smith is able to play.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Defense, unless another offensive lopsided-value, can’t miss player drops.
And some more effective early passing and turnover management. This defense was built to play with a lead.

We've shit the bed early in games offensively, especially passing to set up the run.

Here's an idea, let's score before the other team? Or at least flip field position consistently before getting down by 10+.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
If we are picking in the top 10, I want the best defender available. Outside the top 10 take the best defender or OL whichever you grade out higher

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
So if Poe is getting double-teamed more than any other NFL DT on passing downs (BTW, which is what his job is at 1T), why aren't other players winning their individual battles?
I think the sinple answer is they are chipping a DE and rolling the pocket. Of course that doesn't explain why Craford who is in there most of the time isn't doing more.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
The 2021 draft should absolutely be focused on defense.

I'm pretty sure I've pointed this out before but even with all the missing pieces along the OL, this offense is still putting up over 30 ppg. So improving the defense is the obvious answer for me.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I'm so sick of this team sucking on defense. Take some defensive players high in the draft and do something in free agency, to the extent you can.

I guess the exception would be if an amazing LT fell to you, but I'd have to be really sure he'd be a great one.
They made a solid attempt at improving DT this offseason but injuries and Poe's underwhelming performance have us back at square 1. Also, in 2017 they went heavy on defense and have used 1st - 3rd round picks on defensive players the past 3 drafts. They just haven't hit any home runs. Which tells me the problem is the defensive scouts and the ex-coaching staff (the jury's still out on the 2020 draftees).

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
They made a solid attempt at improving DT this offseason but injuries and Poe's underwhelming performance have us back at square 1. Also, in 2017 they went heavy on defense and have used 1st - 3rd round picks on defensive players the past 3 drafts. They just haven't hit any home runs. Which tells me the problem is the defensive scouts and the ex-coaching staff (the jury's still out on the 2020 draftees).
Some of it you have to give time. We drafted a couple of DTs that are devloping. A rookie class isn't going to instantly have a bunch of impact. It takes time to develop these guys.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Some of it you have to give time. We drafted a couple of DTs that are devloping. A rookie class isn't going to instantly have a bunch of impact. It takes time to develop these guys.
I can say right now....neither Hill or Gallimore will ever be impact players in this league.

You can put it in two inch headlines.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I can say right now....neither Hill or Gallimore will ever be impact players in this league.

You can put it in two inch headlines.
Are two inch headlines big or small? Do they even print shit anymore?

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Even if you hate Hill and Gallimore I think they will be solid DTs. Hill was on his way there amd I was a big critic. Regardless we still need an alpha DT in my opinion. The way Akiem Hicks is for the Bears. Guy is just a monster.

DontCryWolfe

DCC 4Life
I just want value. I’m not going to sacrifice in the name of positional priority a DL over an OL just because the defense suck, but if it’s even close in regards to our scouting department i’m going defense. At any level.

If Dak had gotten injured because he was bull rushed off the snap while standing in the pocket, it would seem worse. But it was a fluke thing with him on the move. Obviously LT has to be addressed, but this defense is worthless. We saw what Carolina has been able to do, sinking all of their picks into defense in what has amounted to a pretty decent turnaround.

Snag a tackle where you can, but otherwise the defense needs all the help it can get, at all levels. And for f**** sake, invest in the safety position.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I love how we’re having a February-type discussion in October.
Eh why not when you've lost your franchise QB for the season. Even if you can Matt Cassel it for the season like the Patriots did they couldn't have real hope the year Brady was hurt.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
If I have a chance at Patrick Surtain I'd even take a corner. Marvin Wilson would be great though.

Of course if you have a chance at Sewell for example I get the Oline thought.

And what about Andre Cisco? Would sure be nice to fucking finally take a safety play maker.

shane

DCC 4Life
Best player available. Defense is priority #1 though. With the WRs we have we should be able to just go shotgun 4 wide every play even with a poor O-Line and dominate.

Shiningstar

DCC 4Life
Best player available. Defense is priority #1 though. With the WRs we have we should be able to just go shotgun 4 wide every play even with a poor O-Line and dominate.

if we attack weaknesses, our guys win their match ups and Dalton targets whos open, yes. By design, i dont know if KM can deal with that.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
What does this mean?
That the Joneses only like shiny CBs, DEs, and lots of fast undersized defenders. Stout, physical defenders? Hell no.

So when the other team is playing from behind and our offense is possessing the football, we bend and don’t break because we aren’t exhausted or worrying about getting gashed up the middle with big runs.

We are defending passes and altered gameplans instead.

In other words Jones load up on offense and sacrifice the entire middle of the defense. By design. When they care about the interior, it’s still about quick pass rushers.

Problem is, that doesn’t work against balanced offenses that choose to run the ball up your ass any point in the game.

Which is like every playoff team.

Top Bottom