Now That The Cowboys Are Out Of It....

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
It all goes back to the Lightning in a bottle. Every 4 or 5 years we have that one year that things click and it still takes good drafts to get that. Thats all we have to hope for.
You just have 4 more years to wait. :art

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I have never once in the 10+ years on this board had a signature. I will keep this one until the day that motherfucker is no longer coaching my team.
Oh, and I encourage everyone else to do the same. Not that it changes anything, but it will grate the shit out of Smitty. :towel

kidd

DCC 4Life
Oh, and I encourage everyone else to do the same. Not that it changes anything, but it will grate the shit out of Smitty. :towel
Ya know, the one thing I always thought about Garrett was that he could keep this team grounded (much like Jimmy did the 90's Cowboys) and not let them get too full of themselves. But I guess I was wrong about that. I mean, really? How doe a defense get more talent and perform worse than last year? Are we going to blame Marinelli for that? Who's in charge?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Ya know, the one thing I always thought about Garrett was that he could keep this team grounded (much like Jimmy did the 90's Cowboys) and not let them get too full of themselves. But I guess I was wrong about that. I mean, really? How doe a defense get more talent and perform worse than last year? Are we going to blame Marinelli for that? Who's in charge?
The only thing grounded about Garrett is his internal wiring.

Sorry, I don't see that guy as being capable of handling the emotional complexities of a football team.

Is he inept like Campo? No.

But he's definitely not able to manage personalities like Jimmy Johnson.

He really doesn't have the autonomy to begin with. This is not his football team. It is Jerry's team.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
What are you babbling about? Get a QB in the draft and we are set up pretty decently.
We actually are. And we'll be at / near the top of each round which means we could have another good draft overall. On top of what we already have, we'll be in good shape.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Lose out completely in hopes that we get great draft position and the Jones' have to actually consider that Garrett isn't the guy for the job.

As much as they don't want to get rid of him, they'd be forced to discuss the possibility if they lose every single game without Romo. That is as strong an indictment as you'll find on Garrett's inability to coach up a team.

Last edited:

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
We actually are. And we'll be at / near the top of each round which means we could have another good draft overall. On top of what we already have, we'll be in good shape.
And, we'll still have Garrett coaching them.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Lose out completely in hopes that we get great draft position and the Jones' have to actually consider that Garrett isn't the guy for the job.

As much as they don't want to get rid of him, they'd be forced to discuss the possibility of they lose every single fans without Romo. That is as strong an indictment as you'll find on Garrett's inability to coach up a team.
One can only hope.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

As much as they don't want to get rid of him, they'd be forced to discuss the possibility of they lose every single fans without Romo. That is as strong an indictment as you'll find on Garrett's inability to coach up a team.
You really are overestimating how much of a shit Jerry gives and how much it takes for him to break down and admit failure.

It is not happening a year removed from the hype of this past offseason.

I would like to think he would think about firing Garrett after 3-13 and I don't think even that would happen unless we got blown out the rest of the way.

Even then.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
You really are overestimating how much of a shit Jerry gives and how much it takes for him to break down and admit failure.

It is not happening a year removed from the hype of this past offseason.

I would like to think he would think about firing Garrett after 3-13 and I don't think even that would happen unless we got blown out the rest of the way.

Even then.
I don't think it's likely, just hoping for the small miracle.

There is ZERO to be gained this season by winning another game. This is and has been a disaster of a season that everyone wants to see come to an end already, and I'm guessing even some guys in the locker room are waiting to check out too.

I hope they get embarrassed as much as possible from here on out. Even Jerry can't completely excuse that.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Garrett's not getting fired. For a number of reasons. Mainly because he just signed that new contract, and Jerry is comfortable with him.

Also, Garrett is in perfect position to escape this season unscathed by major criticism. If he continues to lose, the injuries were just too much to over come. If he manages to win a couple cheap games? Well, gosh darn it. He still had 'em playing tough 'till the end, even while facing insurmountable adversity.

shoop

Semi-contributing member
The only time they will be humbled is if they are picking at the top of the draft. Like I said before, they will probably find a way to eff that up too.
Like when they trade up two spots for a CB no one else was going to pick?

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Garrett's not getting fired. For a number of reasons. Mainly because he just signed that new contract, and Jerry is comfortable with him.

Also, Garrett is in perfect position to escape this season unscathed by major criticism. If he continues to lose, the injuries were just too much to over come. If he manages to win a couple cheap games? Well, gosh darn it. He still had 'em playing tough 'till the end, even while facing insurmountable adversity.
There is a reason he is so friendly at press conferences.

If you have no brain it is called "working the room".

shane

DCC 4Life
Whoa there.

You've been given a gift here like the Colts when Manning was lost for that season. You can get a free shot at a high end QB potentially.

You don't pass that up for LB help unless it's Lawrence Taylor and maybe not even then.
But do any QBs stand out as can't misses? I don't trust this team to groom a raw talent into anything worthwhile. I think if we add one more piece to the front 7, and shore up the RB position, there will be a lot of guys (Stafford, Rivers or even Cutler) who would want to come here after Romo and immediately compete for a championship.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Don't even feel like watching the NFL in general, it's been an awful year.
A lot of bad product this year made worse by all the fantasy football noise reaching a crescendo.

General disinterest, though this Carolina team intrigues me. They look tough and deep and could go the distance.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
A lot of bad product this year made worse by all the fantasy football noise reaching a crescendo.

General disinterest, though this Carolina team intrigues me. They look tough and deep and could go the distance.
They are my new adopted team.

They do it the right way and they are local.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
They are my new adopted team.

They do it the right way and they are local.
Cam Newton is unbelievable. I may have never seen a more powerfully thrown football. I think his long windup is bad for overall accuracy, but his coaches have compensated well.

The right way == losing Greg Hardy and Kelvin Benjamin and still going 11-0.

Post Johnson Cowboys could never, ever do that in a million years.

DLK150

DCC 4Life
Meh. With the season all but over, I'm pretty indifferent and have been for around a month. I even managed to forget that we beat Miami. I'll still watch because I'm a glutton for punishment but I might keep an eye on the Vikings, maybe the Raiders in the AFC. I don't expect much of anything out of the Raiders but they've got a few players and seem somewhat competitive for the first time in awhile.

Top Bottom