Nolan Carroll Signed

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Could be a lot of reasons they got rid of him.

But just for shits and giggles..how about passes defended?

Carr 15... 2015/2016
Carroll 24...2015/2016
Fair enough.

Carroll led the league in pass interference with 7.

D

Deuce

There's much more to a corner than interceptions.

Put it this way. The eagles are desperate for corners. It's a way bigger need for them than it is for us. And they couldn't get rid of him fast enough.
Ya, I remember him being garbage. Not only beat deep a lot, but also a lot of penalties to prevent being beat deep more.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Fair enough.

Carroll led the league in pass interference with 7.
He was hampered I'm sure from the ankle. 7 PI's is worrisome but at least its got a chance of being explained.

Carr had 2 PI, but lets be honest many plays Carr is not within 5 yards of his WR.

I like Carr, but his play in Dallas has never really matched what he did in KC. Carroll is not the answer either, but the guy has similar stats to Carr but yet everyone is ok with keeping Carr.

The Cowboys need a ballhawk at S, and better play at CB. Brown I think will improve, but I'd like to see us move on from Carr.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
He was hampered I'm sure from the ankle. 7 PI's is worrisome but at least its got a chance of being explained.

Carr had 2 PI, but lets be honest many plays Carr is not within 5 yards of his WR.

I like Carr, but his play in Dallas has never really matched what he did in KC. Carroll is not the answer either, but the guy has similar stats to Carr but yet everyone is ok with keeping Carr.

The Cowboys need a ballhawk at S, and better play at CB. Brown I think will improve, but I'd like to see us move on from Carr.
In 2015 Carroll was better then Carr. Carr had a good 2016 season but most of his career in Dallas he was very mediocre. I don't think there is a ton of difference between Carroll and Carr. Carroll takes more chances and makes more plays and Carr gives up less big plays. But ultimately I think they are on a similar tier.

I'd still resign Claiborne if the price is right. Even if its for only half a season of football.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Cowboys cover a 'must' by adding Nolan Carroll at cornerback

8:41 PM ET

Todd Archer
ESPN Staff Writer

FRISCO, Texas -- A year ago, the Dallas Cowboys thought about signing Nolan Carroll and had him visit, but they opted to pass due to concerns over an ankle injury.

Carroll re-signed with the Philadelphia Eagles, started every game, intercepted one pass and had 10 pass deflections.

On Friday, Carroll agreed to a three-year deal with the Cowboys, remaining in the NFC East and covering Dallas at cornerback, with Brandon Carr and Morris Claiborne testing the free-agent market.

Terms: Three years, $10 million.

ESPN 150 ranking: No. 111

Grade: B Factoring need and price, it is hard to quibble with the deal. Teams can never have enough corners, and the Cowboys did not want to test that theory without covering themselves a little bit more. The addition of Carroll does not take them out of the corner market in the draft, but it will allow them to set up their draft board more purely and not push position needs up the must-have list.

What it means: The Cowboys could not go without addressing the position through free agency in some fashion, and they found a corner familiar with the NFC East and coming off a season in which he started every game for the first time in his career. Carroll has eight career interceptions. He had 20 pass breakups in the past two seasons. That means teams will take chances on him, as evidenced by the pass interference Dez Bryant drew on him in Week 17 last season and Terrance Williams' touchdown catch on Tony Romo's lone drive in 2016. While it doesn’t close the door on Carr or Claiborne returning, it does allow the Cowboys to hold firm on their prices. Claiborne has drawn some interest from the Baltimore Ravens, Pittsburgh Steelers and Buffalo Bills, but his injury history should keep his payday down. Carr has never missed a game in his career, but he turns 31 in May, so that could affect his price.

What's the risk? As much as Carroll played all of last season, the Cowboys had durability concerns about him, so there is some risk-taking here. But with only Orlando Scandrick and Anthony Brown on the roster having played meaningful snaps, the Cowboys had to gamble somewhat. It is not a huge financial commitment, and Carroll’s knowledge of the division is a good thing. He also has some scheme versatility as he enters his eighth season in the NFL.

----------------

Funny how they say Dallas passed on Carroll last season when it really wasn't the case.

http://www.nj.com/eagles/index.ssf/2016/03/nolan_carroll_says_visiting_the_dallas_cowboys_was.html

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
:lol

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
:lol

I'm sufficiently creeped out now. I regret my decision of ever going down this path.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Smitty

DCC 4Life
How many times burned?

Top Bottom