NFL to examine preseason, could lower prices

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
By Ryan Wilson | CBSSports.com

August 8, 2013 9:05 am ET

The NFL preseason is too long. On this we can all agree. Reasonable people differ, however, on what to do next.

Commissioner Roger Goodell has championed an 18-game regular season, while players and fans are less keen on the idea; the former for self-preservation reasons, the latter because, in general, they're of the "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" mindset.

In an effort to improve the experience for everyone, the NFL will examine preseason games in the hopes of creating a better product, writes NFL.com's Ian Rapoport. What that means exactly remains unclear, but Rapoport notes that "The NFL still is looking at different formats for the split of regular-season and preseason games -- 18-and-2, 16-and-2 or 17-and-3."

The league will also look at how much starters play, how the lineups are set and the fan reaction, especially in the usually meaningless fourth week of preseason games. The NFL has also discussed the possibility of lowering ticket prices for all preseason games, a decision that would ultimately be made by the owners through a vote at the annual owners' meeting.

**************************************************************************************************************************

The last sentence is why I don't think prices will ever be lowered. Owners aren't going to give back money. The current system is perfect for them.

As for preseason as a whole, I don't know what can be done to fix it and make it more entertaining but they absolutely need to lower prices. Consumers shouldn't have to pay full price to watch a bunch of street free agents.

I think a good start would be to stop forcing preseason games on season ticket holders.

Also, we've talked about it before, if the NFL want's to get more people through the gates then they need to stop price-gouging us.

If you go to Jerry World and want a decent seat it'll cost you about $200 per ticket. Multiply that by 4 if you're bringing the entire family.

Parking will run you about $30.

A small personal sized pizza $15.

A bottle of beer $10.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
It is ridiculous that preseason tickets cost full price.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Owned by the rich, played by the rich, for the fucking rich.

The peasants have all been regulated to their bars and homes.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Well, watching football certainly is a fundamental right, and those bastards are trampling those rights by offering poor people ways to watch their favorite teams for free. Damn them! The government needs to step in and do something! :angry

1bigfan13

Staff member
From what I gathered from listening to various shows, they're concerned that watching the product at home has become such a hit that attendance is being affected.

Aside from JAX and Buffalo I haven't heard of any other teams who are struggling to bring in the fans.

Last edited:

Smitty

DCC 4Life
From what I gathered from listening to various shows, they're concerned that watching the product at home has become such a hit that attendance is being affected.

Aside from JAX and Buffalo I haven't heard any other teams who are struggling to bring in the fans.
I would prefer to go to a couple games a year if price wasn't prohibitive.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester

Aside from JAX and Buffalo I haven't heard any other teams who are struggling to bring in the fans.
Yea, I think they are full of shit on that one. Watching at home has gotten better with technology, sure, but the reason why people are doing it more is because the expenses don't make sense to watch it live.

Like you said, in spite of this, attendance isn't really affected so I don't know what they are going on about. But if this perceived reason is enough to get them to cut down the cost of the gameday experience, then I'm all for it.

I would prefer to go to a couple games a year if price wasn't prohibitive.
I love watching live football. I bought tickets last week to the Texas vs Ole Miss game in September and I'd much rather spend my money on that than these sorry ass Cowboys.

Anyhow, live football is great but watching at home in an HDTV with a sweet surround system is pretty damn good in its own right. If it didn't cost damn near 200 bucks per seat for a decent view, 30-50 bucks to park and 20 bucks for a sandwich and a soda, then I might entertain the idea of going to a game over watching at home.

But being as it does cost an arm and leg, I'd rather just watch on my sweet Samsung and drink a 6 pack for what it would cost for a 16 ounce at the stadium.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Yea, I think they are full of shit on that one. Watching at home has gotten better with technology, sure, but the reason why people are doing it more is because the expenses don't make sense to watch it live.

Like you said, in spite of this, attendance isn't really affected so I don't know what they are going on about. But if this perceived reason is enough to get them to cut down the cost of the gameday experience, then I'm all for it.

I love watching live football. I bought tickets last week to the Texas vs Ole Miss game in September and I'd much rather spend my money on that than these sorry ass Cowboys.

Anyhow, live football is great but watching at home in an HDTV with a sweet surround system is pretty damn good in its own right. If it didn't cost damn near 200 bucks per seat for a decent view, 30-50 bucks to park and 20 bucks for a sandwich and a soda, then I might entertain the idea of going to a game over watching at home.

But being as it does cost an arm and leg, I'd rather just watch on my sweet Samsung and drink a 6 pack for what it would cost for a 16 ounce at the stadium.
I'll be attending a handful of college games this year because the overall prices are manageable. I already have tickets to a couple of Baylor games and I'm planning on attending a TCU game and either a Texas or Texas A&M game.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I'll be attending a handful of college games this year because the overall prices are manageable. I already have tickets to a couple of Baylor games and I'm planning on attending a TCU game and either a Texas or Texas A&M game.
Yup.

For 70 bucks each, I bought 2 tickets on the 45 yard line in the lower rows of the 2nd level.

That's 150 bucks for 2 tickets when it costs me more than that for one ticket to a Cowboys game. I also won't have to pay an outrageous amount for parking and I'm guessing the experience will be more fun too with all the Ole Miss fans around.

Really looking forward to this.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
And all lowering the price of preseason tickets will do is increase the price of relegated, err, regulated, sorry...regular season tickets because the owners will want to offset those reductions somewhere.

Top Bottom