Neil Gorsuch nominated to Supreme Court to fill Scalia seat

townsend

Banned
I guess I'm kind of pro death, because I'm pro choice, and I'd pull the switch on Dylan Roof myself if I could.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I guess I'm kind of pro death, because I'm pro choice, and I'd pull the switch on Dylan Roof myself if I could.
Perfect way to illustrate my point. :buddy

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'm in agreement with that.

If something's viable, or even near viable that's a different conversation.

But 92% of abortions happen before the 13th week, so the abortion=dead unborn babies has always felt extremely disingenuous.
Yep, and I'm pro choice on those. Well as long as pro choice doesn't involve me paying for it. I'm pretty much against tax dollars going to anything except the minimum necessities.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I think you and I have gone back and fourth on this a good amount. But it's pretty simple, if the child is able to survive outside of the mother it's a baby. If not, it's not a baby. That's my simple way of looking at it.
What about congenital problems after birth such as blue babies. The are capable of being born but can't survive unless treated. My point being nothing is really simple when defining terms in these type instances

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
What about congenital problems after birth such as blue babies. The are capable of being born but can't survive unless treated. My point being nothing is really simple when defining terms in these type instances
That's a baby. We would force medical treatment on a baby in distress who has already been born. Treat the baby who can survive outside of the mother exactly the same.

I don't have a problem with anyone having a different opinion on the matter though. I'm not here to judge people who are against abortion entirely.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
That's a baby. We would force medical treatment on a baby in distress who has already been born. Treat the baby who can survive outside of the mother exactly the same.

I don't have a problem with anyone having a different opinion on the matter though. I'm not here to judge people who are against abortion entirely.
I am not against abortions entirely in fact the more I try to define what instances I consider legiimate and illegitimate according to morality codes, the more difficulty I have establishing absolutes. It's a perplexing exercise.

Cotton

Staff member
I am not against abortions entirely in fact the more I try to define what instances I consider legiimate and illegitimate according to morality codes, the more difficulty I have establishing absolutes. It's a perplexing exercise.
This is essentially how I feel about it.

townsend

Banned
This is where I think most of the country is. Which is why it's so ridiculous that the only two options are "life" or "choice", these fucking battle lines got drawn by people whose views are probably too extreme for 90% of the country either way.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
I'd have no problem with the death penalty if the system was perfect, but the chance, however slim, of executing an innocent is too much for me.

I guarantee someone innocent has been put to death and it just isn't right.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
As men it's sort of a tough subject. Especially because we are so greatly impacted by a woman's decision to have or not have an abortion but are given no choice in the matter because it's not our body. It's our child once it is born and we are responsible for them financially for the next 18-23 years but prior to birth legally speaking we have no rights. Gives women a lot of power over reproduction and I think it sort of leaves some men feeling helpless which is why they want to be able to control or prevent abortions.

But like I said, I'm all about freedom of choice. But if you want an abortion then you pay for it. And as soon as the fetus becomes viable, then the child's choice trumps that of the mother in my opinion.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I'd have no problem with the death penalty if the system was perfect, but the chance, however slim, of executing an innocent is too much for me.

I guarantee someone innocent has been put to death and it just isn't right.
I actually agree with you. I have no problem putting down a person who has done horrific things. But I'm also terrified by the thought that an innocent person could be put to death. Especially an innocent person who 20 years from not might be exonerated by technology that doesn't exist yet. We have all seen the old cases overturned because of DNA evidence. We have no idea what type of information might be available decades from now.

townsend

Banned
As men it's sort of a tough subject. Especially because we are so greatly impacted by a woman's decision to have or not have an abortion but are given no choice in the matter because it's not our body. It's our child once it is born and we are responsible for them financially for the next 18-23 years but prior to birth legally speaking we have no rights. Gives women a lot of power over reproduction and I think it sort of leaves some men feeling helpless which is why they want to be able to control or prevent abortions.

But like I said, I'm all about freedom of choice. But if you want an abortion then you pay for it. And as soon as the fetus becomes viable, then the child's choice trumps that of the mother in my opinion.
I honestly think men should have a window to opt out of parental responsibility, but that means no parental rights whatsoever,

Cotton

Staff member

I am not pro-choice. I am pro-life. Meaning, I don't want the option for reckless regard available as an option for birth control. I know it's a fine line, but life is life, and can be defined in many ways. My opinion is, if the baby has a heart beat, it is alive. The viable thing bothers me. I have a daughter that might not be viewed as viable in some circles, but is irreplaceable to me. So, like I said fine line.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I am not pro-choice. I am pro-life. Meaning, I don't want the option for reckless regard available as an option for birth control. I know it's a fine line, but life is life, and can be defined in many ways. My opinion is, if the baby has a heart beat, it is alive. The viable thing bothers me. I have a daughter that might not be viewed as viable in some circles, but is irreplaceable to me. So, like I said fine line.
Well I think viable could be considered a grey line. When I say viable I mean able to live even for a moment. And with all medical help. I'm even against a late term abortion for a child with some sort of disease that means the child will likely die shortly after birth.

Now what amount of time that is I don't know. I leave that to someone with more medical knowledge to put an amount of days into a pregnancy for me. When I hear of late term abortion attempts where the baby survived it is horrific to me. How someone can kill a child who can survive if given birth, to me that's just murder.

townsend

Banned
Well I think viable could be considered a grey line. When I say viable I mean able to live even for a moment. And with all medical help. I'm even against a late term abortion for a child with some sort of disease that means the child will likely die shortly after birth.

Now what amount of time that is I don't know. I leave that to someone with more medical knowledge to put an amount of days into a pregnancy for me. When I hear of late term abortion attempts where the baby survived it is horrific to me. How someone can kill a child who can survive if given birth, to me that's just murder.
I think it's extremely rare for someone to terminate a late term pregnancy without a good damn reason. People don't mention that late term abortions are agonizing and take several days to perform. At that stage it's probably less painful to just go through with it.

Along with, obviously, the life of the mother to take into account, you have to figure in what a baby with a terminal illness's existence would be like. A lot of the illnesses they perform late term abortions for aren't just fatal for the children, but horrifically painful too.

The saddest thing is the fact that the women who have to go through late term abortions almost always wanted it. Having to perform the abortion at that late stage is a gut wrenching tragedy, but they get talked about like they're ghouls that selfishly murdered their kids out of convenience.

Top Bottom