NBA Chatter Thread

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
The problem with blowing out the (c)Heat like this is that they are gonna come back with a chip on their shoulder.

And by they I mean Lebron.
Lebron has slipped back into 2011 mode. Remember when he caught a ton of criticism for playing passively? He's at it again.

He needs to be in attack mode from the opening tip of game 4. I know doing so is not his natural instinct but he needs to step outside his comfort zone because Wade and Bosh aren't carrying their share of the load.

Carp

DCC 4Life
He set up Bosh with so many wide open 15-17 footers to start the game it was ridiculous. I agree he has to be more aggressive for sure, particularly when they are sagging off him from about 19 feet out. Having Wade out there now pretty much holds him back to because he gives him opportunities from 15 feet and wade just passes on those shots.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I agree with what Magic said after the game in that he needs to start off aggressive and attack, and then play the facilitator role in the 2nd quarter. Wade is not what he used to be and Bosh can't be counted on. And when you combine those two questions marks with role players like Ray Allen and Chalmers having an off night, then you get what happened last night.

Like 1big said, it's not Lebron's natural instinct to attack, but at least now he learns from it and asserts himself the next game. However, there's no more time for wake up calls and things like that. He needs to get in attack mode and stay that way for the rest of this series or Miami won't make it to 7 games.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I would slow down on not making 7 games because after the Miami win the same was said about the Spurs. The reality is that I don't think they can play any better than they did yesterday. I'll give Green props, but Neal is not going to have another game like he had tonight. If Parker's hamstring is done then I think the Spurs are done as well.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I would slow down on not making 7 games because after the Miami win the same was said about the Spurs. The reality is that I don't think they can play any better than they did yesterday. I'll give Green props, but Neal is not going to have another game like he had tonight. If Parker's hamstring is done then I think the Spurs are done as well.
The Parker injury is definitely something to keep an eye on.

And while I know the Spurs got blown out, the vibe coming from that loss was different. It was a display of Miami's strength when everything is clicking and reminded everyone how no one can beat them when they are at their best. But you also knew San Antonio had stolen home court and were now going home for 3 straight.

Last night's loss is probably more worrisome because of the disturbing trend that continues of Wade and Bosh not performing, and the fact that they have to play 2 straight games left in San Antonio.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I think it will be 2-2 going in to game 5. This just has the feel of a 7 game series. I mean as bad as Miami was playing they were one Neal heave away from being down only 3 going into halftime...with Lebron on having 4 points.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I think it will be 2-2 going in to game 5. This just has the feel of a 7 game series. I mean as bad as Miami was playing they were one Neal heave away from being down only 3 going into halftime...with Lebron on having 4 points.
That's a good point, but then you could also say that the Spurs won by 30 or whatever with their big 3 only combining for 25 points. :lol

It's probably going to come down to whose role players can be counted on more to step up. Ray and Miller have the experience, but the Spurs have Pop who finds ways to get his players to perform.

Good matchup and that's what you want at this stage of the playoffs.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
Do you guys agree with this assessment?

The Heat are not a great team nor do they play great basketball, they just have great games and great moments. Just like the other night when they beat down the Spurs, they look crazy good when everything clicks. But they have too many moments in games where they go into a lull, and they are almost guaranteed to have a poor game or two in every series.

Losing game 1's for this team comes as no surprise anymore.

For as great as the collection of talent is, they don't really dominate. And even if you knew you'd get their very best, would you honestly pick them to beat any of MJ's Bulls, Magic's Lakers, Kobe and Shaq's Lakers, Larry's Celtics? How about the 2000's Spurs in their prime?

I just don't think they are sound enough all around or consistent enough to be considered a truly "great" team.
It's because LeBron is running the show down there. Him, Wade and Bosh might as well be the coaches.

I hate to sound like a broken record, but he would have been a much better fit going to a TEAM like Chicago that had the system, the defense, and the excellent supporting cast in place, where all it needed was the second legit superstar. And frankly, because Lebron lacks the natural killer instinct, he should have been looking for a serious, cutthroat sidekick like Derrick Rose who wants to take the last shot, instead of another guy who is a clown in Chris Bosh. (PS, I don't mean the Bulls were the only spot for him -- but a team like San Antonio would have been good, or the Lakers, or something -- somewhere that he'd be answerable to a system, or a coach, or at least an elder player like Kobe).

He didn't want to go there because Rose wouldn't kiss his ass, it was too cold, the Bulls wouldn't accept his posse, they wouldn't give him power over Thibs, or whatever other reason. But he would have been much better liked if he had done that and frankly I think that team would be better than this current Heat team, at least in crunch time. Whether it would have rolled up as many meaningless regular season wins is another issue. But that would have been a great team, IMO.

But maybe Lebron's ego never would have fit there, and so it wouldn't have worked out. He craved the star power, he craved going to a flashy city in Miami, and he has seemed to embrace the bad guy role down there. And I don't particularly get the impression that he drives that team to work very hard. So I guess what I'm saying is that if you had a Lebron-talent who had a different attitude, he'd end up in a different situation and have a much better legacy.

Last edited:

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
But maybe Lebron's ego never would have fit there, and so it wouldn't have worked out. He craved the star power, he craved going to a flashy city in Miami, and he has seemed to embrace the bad guy role down there. And I don't particularly get the impression that he drives that team to work very hard. So I guess what I'm saying is that if you had a Lebron-talent who had a different attitude, he'd end up in a different situation and have a much better legacy.
I think that was definitely the case when he joined Miami, but I think he's grown and matured since then. I don't think he's a natural leader just like he's not naturally aggressive, but I think he's improved in both those aspects and makes the effort at both when he has to.

However, I do think he would've been a better fit in Chicago due to the way that team is built and the great coach they have in place. But then again, you never know how things would have turned out.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I just don't see Chicago as a big draw for players to go to. Miami is such a draw for players just based on living there, plus knowing Pat Riley is there as well trumps just about anything any other team can offer. I still want to see if Chicago can bring in a big FA while Rose is there.

D

Deuce

I just don't see Chicago as a big draw for players to go to. Miami is such a draw for players just based on living there, plus knowing Pat Riley is there as well trumps just about anything any other team can offer. I still want to see if Chicago can bring in a big FA while Rose is there.
The ultimate draw for any player is money and Miami can offer that because of the lack of state taxes. One reason why Houston is considered the favorite to get Howard is because even though the LAL can technically offer more, he will earn about $8M more in a state like Texas.

Carp

DCC 4Life
It is money, but it is also where you live. I don't see Utah, Memphis, and Minnesota pulling in big FAs...and they've had some money to spend.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
The ultimate draw for any player is money and Miami can offer that because of the lack of state taxes. One reason why Houston is considered the favorite to get Howard is because even though the LAL can technically offer more, he will earn about $8M more in a state like Texas.
Florida doesn't have a state income tax either?

:excellent

Carp

DCC 4Life
I am pretty shocked that Kidd looks like the frontrunner for the Nets job.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I am pretty shocked that Kidd looks like the frontrunner for the Nets job.
What? Jason Kidd the frontrunner for their coaching vacancy?

Are they out of their minds?

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
That owner is Jerry Jones part 2. Lots of money, knows nothing about the sport he bought into.
But is he as involved in the basketball operations as Jerry is with the football ops?

I don't follow the Nets or the NBA like I obviously do my own team and the sport of football, but I haven't seen or read anything that indicates that he considers himself to be a basketball guru.

Carp

DCC 4Life
He is not involved like Jerry...Billy King is his GM and is conducting the interviews. I do think there are some pieces there...I really like Lopez in particular, but giving Wallace that money and taking on Joe Johnson was a mistake.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
He is not involved like Jerry...Billy King is his GM and is conducting the interviews. I do think there are some pieces there...I really like Lopez in particular, but giving Wallace that money and taking on Joe Johnson was a mistake.
Agree on the latter two players.

Those moves felt like moves for the sake of making moves because they didn't get Dwight. I said it at the time, but I felt like they were building a team in the mold of the Atlanta Hawks when they had Crawford, Johnson, Horford and Smith - a team that would be entertaining and would be competitive, but wouldn't be anywhere near good enough to even sniff the finals.

They should've just sat tight and kept the cap space and gone after a legit star or player that could truly make them better going forward.

Top Bottom