NBA Chatter Thread

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I may be in the minority, but I feel like these two teams are a godsend for the NBA. It's been a long time since there were two teams in the finals that did not regularly get there. I can't tell you how tired I am of seeing the Lakers, Celtics, Spurs, heat,in the finals. I'd be more than happy to see either of these teams win this year. I lean towards the Warriors, but even with LeBron it would be fun to see Cleveland finally win something.
I'm right there with you. It's certainly nice seeing some new faces in the Finals. I think they've said since 1980 there has only been something like 9 different teams to win the NBA title.

The average sports fan always assumes that MLB has a problem with parity because of the deep pockets of the Yankees, Red Sox, Dodgers, etc. but it's actually the NBA that's struggled with parity.

It's such a superstar drive sport that once a team gets the most dominant player in the game it's pretty much a given that that team will be playing in the Finals on a regular basis.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I may be in the minority, but I feel like these two teams are a godsend for the NBA. It's been a long time since there were two teams in the finals that did not regularly get there. I can't tell you how tired I am of seeing the Lakers, Celtics, Spurs, heat,in the finals. I'd be more than happy to see either of these teams win this year. I lean towards the Warriors, but even with LeBron it would be fun to see Cleveland finally win something.
I agree with that except for the last sentence. The Clevaland/Miami/Cleveland Lebrons are tired out just like those other teams you named.

I think it sucks that the East basically can't compete with him, but the West is good enough that he struggles with them consistently.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I agree with that except for the last sentence. The Clevaland/Miami/Cleveland Lebrons are tired out just like those other teams you named.

I think it sucks that the East basically can't compete with him, but the West is good enough that he struggles with them consistently.
I'd have rather seen Atlanta, but I can deal with Cleveland even with LeBron. It helps that Cleveland hasn't won in any sport in a billion years, and also that they are underdogs in this series.

Even this season as a whole has been more intriguing than normal because of the new found parity. Atlanta, golden state, Memphis, clippers, Toronto, Washington, etc. The season was dominated by non-traditional powers.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Lebron did what everybody wanted him to do at the end of game 1, but it just didn't fall.

I hope they do better in this OT than they did the last.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
What the Cavs are doing without Love and now without Kyrie is remarkable.

I'm trying to figure out how the league's best player doesn't get those two blatant fouls called in his favor.

1bigfan13

Staff member
What the Cavs are doing without Love and now without Kyrie is remarkable.

I'm trying to figure out how the league's best player doesn't get those two blatant fouls called in his favor.
The refs missed a TON of calls last night. It was horrible.

They missed several obvious traveling calls as well. But that happens in most NBA games.

But yeah....it was very surprising to see the elite player in the sport not get those calls down the stretch. These weren't the phantom fouls that superstars normally get. Those were legitimate fouls.

I made the comment on Twitter that they're starting to treat Lebron like Shaq now. Shaq got beat up all the time but they probably only called the foul half the time. It's like they've built in a curve for fouls that's used for players who physically dominate their opponents.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Yep. I thought James was running the 100 yard dash on some of the layups.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I have seen quite a few people saying that the Lakers will take Russell if Anthony goes #1 overall. If that is the case I sure hope Philly has a plan locked up with another team to move down and acquire more assets from a team that wants Okafor. I'm thinking move down to 6 with the Kings and hope Winslow was still there.

Genghis Khan

I have seen quite a few people saying that the Lakers will take Russell if Anthony goes #1 overall. If that is the case I sure hope Philly has a plan locked up with another team to move down and acquire more assets from a team that wants Okafor. I'm thinking move down to 6 with the Kings and hope Winslow was still there.
I'd prefer a move down for Mudiay or one of the euros. But I would have no problem taking okafor and letting the chips fall where they may if the right deal isn't there.

D

Deuce

I think Orlando would jump at the chance to move up for him.

Genghis Khan

I think Orlando would jump at the chance to move up for him.
the Knicks probably would too. The thing to do would be to just draft him and then put him on the market and see what you can get. If you can't get enough just keep him. the Sixers would have a crowded frontcourt but it would also make them pretty tough to handle up front.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I'd prefer a move down for Mudiay or one of the euros. But I would have no problem taking okafor and letting the chips fall where they may if the right deal isn't there.
I just like Winslow and I'd like to stay away from another early big. Saric is going to come over either next year or the year after...and that would just be a glut at the 4-5. The team certainly needs a PG, but we need an athletic swingman like Winslow as well. He is a good defender too. I like Hezonja there too.

Definitely want to address PG, but I think with the glut of picks in the 2nd they could move back into the first and take a Tyus Jones, Jerian Grant, Delon Wright, and Terry Rozier.

Carp

DCC 4Life
the Knicks probably would too. The thing to do would be to just draft him and then put him on the market and see what you can get. If you can't get enough just keep him. the Sixers would have a crowded frontcourt but it would also make them pretty tough to handle up front.
I think you can have it set up prior to the draft...when we got Noel, Hinkie gave NO a list of players he would move Holiday for...and when he dropped to 6 they made the deal.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I don't think Philly is in a position to be moving down for lesser talent, especially considering the injury history of Embid.

Take the best guy and trade the glut later for established talent, there is nothing wrong with having a guy like Okafor coming off the bench until you are ready to compete.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Are the Cavs really going to do this?

When was the last time two teams came into a finals with one appearing to be significantly better than the other like this series was thought to be coming in?

The Lakers vs whomever between 2000-2002, maybe?

What an impressive showing by the Cavs so far. They are closer to being up 3-0 than the Warriors are to being up 2-1.

1bigfan13

Staff member
Are the Cavs really going to do this?

When was the last time two teams came into a finals with one appearing to be significantly better than the other like this series was thought to be coming in?

The Lakers vs whomever between 2000-2002, maybe?

What an impressive showing by the Cavs so far. They are closer to being up 3-0 than the Warriors are to being up 2-1.
I was actually thinking about this. I thought you could compare this series to the '06 Dallas-Miami series.

That was a series that Dallas should have won with ease, at least on paper.

1bigfan13

Staff member
I loved that Curry finally snapped out of his shooting slump in the 4th qtr but he's got to be more aggressive.

He was way too passive. He deferred too often. He's too good of a shooter and too good of a player to allow himself to be outplayed by Dellavedova for 3 qtrs.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I don't think Philly is in a position to be moving down for lesser talent, especially considering the injury history of Embid.

Take the best guy and trade the glut later for established talent, there is nothing wrong with having a guy like Okafor coming off the bench until you are ready to compete.
I'll pass. We have Embiid, Noel, Aldemir, Thompson, Robinson...and Saric could come over this offseason. Not sure why you have to wait to get established talent when you can do that now in a possible move down.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I'll pass. We have Embiid, Noel, Aldemir, Thompson, Robinson...and Saric could come over this offseason. Not sure why you have to wait to get established talent when you can do that now in a possible move down.
None of those guys are Okafor level talent outside of Embid who is a ? health wise and maybe Saric.

There is a reason most people think the talent drops considerably after 4 in this draft, elite talent wins.

You can also get established talent by using cap space so no real reason too trade down anyway.

I think you are trying to be too cute, there is nothing wrong with having good young bigs filling out your 4-5 rotations.

Carp

DCC 4Life
None of those guys are Okafor level talent outside of Embid who is a ? health wise and maybe Saric.

There is a reason most people think the talent drops considerably after 4 in this draft, elite talent wins.

You can also get established talent by using cap space so no real reason too trade down anyway.

I think you are trying to be too cute, there is nothing wrong with having good young bigs filling out your 4-5 rotations.
There definitely is a problem having your young bigs manning the 4-5 spot and not addressing the glaring holes at SG and SF. It leads to more losing, at least 2-3 more years...when Embiid and Noel start getting close to having their rookie contracts up.

As far as the cap space to add a player...that is not what you said initially...you said that you would use the glut of young talent to go get established talent. So which is it?

Top Bottom