Mosley: Don't expect Rolando McClain to be the answer for Cowboys

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Don't expect Rolando McClain to be the answer for Cowboys

Matt Mosley

FOX Sports Southwest

JUL 02, 2014 11:27a ET

The Cowboys are so desperate for a middle linebacker they have traded for a player that has retired from football three times before turning 25. By all accounts, former Oakland Raiders first-round choice Rolando McClain is a ticking time bomb.

But hey, he's a candid time bomb. Here's what he told ESPN The Magazine in a story last year that chronicled his stormy post-college career: "I felt like Aaron Hernandez, like I just wanted to kill somebody," McClain said in an interview in Oct. 2013.

It will take more than that disturbing revelation to discourage Jerry Jones. He has had several brushes with the law, which led to his availability. The Cowboys did have to send a sixth-round draft choice to the Ravens for McClain. I was a bit surprised to hear the Ravens still owned his rights since he retired from the team in May 2013 and then again this past April.

I see some folks talking about this being a low-risk high-reward proposition. To me, there's no reward in trading draft picks for people that don't want to play football. Surely the Ravens and McClain have to be surprised by the Cowboys' interest.

This sounds like a favor Jason Garrett is doing for his former boss Nick Saban, who coached McClain at Alabama. Saban probably believes that McClain is mentally prepared for another shot at the NFL. McClain was the eighth overall pick in the 2010 draft. For a player who needed constant structure, the Raiders were likely a poor fit.

Ravens GM Ozzie Newsome's relationship with his alma mater Alabama and Saban led him to give McClain two fresh starts. But here's how McClain explained his second departure from the Ravens this past April: "I gotta follow my heart. It ain't football," McClain texted to ESPN. "If football made me complete I would play. But whenever I think of it my heart pulls me away from whatever reason. ... This means I'm done."

Now the Cowboys are poised to give McClain yet another opportunity. This sends the message to players such as Justin Durant and DeVonte Holloman that the Cowboys have little faith in them. They see the Cowboys trading for someone incredibly unstable.

The Cowboys have had success with reclamation projects before, but this feels more like desperation. McClain hasn't played a down since Nov. 2012. He showed up at a workout with the Ravens recently late and out of shape. This is not a player you can count on.

Saban had a lot of success with McClain because he provided structure for him. The NFL seemed to overwhelm him. Judging by his off-the-field issues and lack on conviction as a player, this sounds like a mistake.

This is a troubled young man who has blown most of his opportunities since leaving Tuscaloosa. If he had no desire to play football in late April, what has changed?

This is the Cowboys grasping for a semi-marquee name on the cheap. If McClain makes it through the first week of training camp, I'll be shocked.

Garrett's devotion to Saban is apparent. Otherwise, this move makes no sense.

I'd err on cautious side and begin preparing for McLain's retirement party.

Jon88

Banned
Don't expect some guy who sat out of football last year to be the answer?

This is some real cutting edge shit...

Alonzo Spellman was a top 3 DT the year he came back. It's a shame he quit taking his medicine.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard

Alonzo Spellman was a top 3 DT the year he came back. It's a shame he quit taking his medicine.
He was decent. Top 3? Maybe in the division.

Warren Sapp, La'Roi Glover, Bryant Young, Trevor Pryce, Darrell Russell, Dan Wilkinson, John Randle and Cortez Kennedy all had better years in 1999.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member

Well, I guess Jones is putting a lot of faith in the program they have in place with Calvin Hill and company.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
He was psychotic, and worse satisfied Jerry at the position.

The "success" with Spellman (despite his open fighting on the field) led Jerry to sign that waste of space Dimitrius Underwood.

To top it all off he broke Greg Ellis' leg.

The net take from getting him was negative and contributed to he team going 5-11 for years afterwards.

The few successful NFL reclamation projects have all started with mental toughness or a player who has matured.

Marc Colombo and Tony Casillas were clearly mentally prepared and disciplined enough to do whatever it took to return to the form they had before their decline/injury/retirement.

Alonzo Highsmith, Quentin Coryatt, Carl Pickens, Underwood, Spellman, Ryan Leaf, Dwayne Goodrich, Chad Hutchinson, Quincy Carter, Drew Henson, and Pacman Jones were not-- and it didn't take a master psychologist to figure it out, either. They were reaches and/or shortcuts for a reason.

Most of the above wasted everyone's time took a severe toll in keeping the team from building the right way.

If we're lucky, McClain will be cut early in camp or by the first mandatory offseason cuts. If not, he'll occupy a roster spot and disappoint us during the season. Just getting him damages Dallas as it will keep some better qualified UDFA off the team.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
He was psychotic, and worse satisfied Jerry at the position.

The "success" with Spellman (despite his open fighting on the field) led Jerry to sign that waste of space Dimitrius Underwood.

To top it all off he broke Greg Ellis' leg.

The net take from getting him was negative and contributed to he team going 5-11 for years afterwards.

The few successful NFL reclamation projects have all started with mental toughness or a player who has matured.

Marc Colombo and Tony Casillas were clearly mentally prepared and disciplined enough to do whatever it took to return to the form they had before their decline/injury/retirement.

Alonzo Highsmith, Quentin Coryatt, Carl Pickens, Underwood, Spellman, Ryan Leaf, Dwayne Goodrich, Chad Hutchinson, Quincy Carter, Drew Henson, and Pacman Jones were not-- and it didn't take a master psychologist to figure it out, either. They were reaches and/or shortcuts for a reason.

Most of the above wasted everyone's time took a severe toll in keeping the team from building the right way.

If we're lucky, McClain will be cut early in camp or by the first mandatory offseason cuts. If not, he'll occupy a roster spot and disappoint us during the season. Just getting him damages Dallas as it will keep some better qualified UDFA off the team.
All your examples were problematic. The main difference in the instant case is that those other guys were in costly contract agreements. McClain isn't.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
All your examples were problematic. The main difference in the instant case is that those other guys were in costly contract agreements. McClain isn't.
My point is none were mentally ready to commit to making a comeback. McClain is staring at an uphill battle with himself, and he probably won't make it.

It doesn't cost the team a draft pick or money, but it does cost coaching time, a roster slot, and gives management a false sense of security regarding the disastrous situation at LB.

They should treat this move as if McClain is a camp body and nothing more, but I have a feeling they expect more.

Even in the above cases, only Carter, OJ Santiago, and Pacman had tangible costs, while the rest had no tangible cost.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
My point is none were mentally ready to commit to making a comeback. McClain is staring at an uphill battle with himself, and he probably won't make it.

It doesn't cost the team a draft pick or money, but it does cost coaching time, a roster slot, and gives management a false sense of security regarding the disastrous situation at LB.

They should treat this move as if McClain is a camp body and nothing more, but I have a feeling they expect more.

Even in the above cases, only Carter, OJ Santiago, and Pacman had tangible costs, while the rest had no tangible cost.
The real McClain will emerge pretty quickly. It's just a matter of which one is in charge now. A couple weeks of TC will bring out the good or bad guy.

Last edited:

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Well said by Mosley. Great article.

This is more than just "low risk, high reward."

This is a player with mental issues who has already demonstrated enough to where we should know better than to think we could get anything out of him.

This isn't low risk high reward. This is desperation. This is sending a bad message to your team. And this is bringing a corrosive element to your locker room with no realistic expectation of even a slight reward.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Well said by Mosley. Great article.

This is more than just "low risk, high reward."

This is a player with mental issues who has already demonstrated enough to where we should know better than to think we could get anything out of him.

This isn't low risk high reward. This is desperation. This is sending a bad message to your team. And this is bringing a corrosive element to your locker room with no realistic expectation of even a slight reward.
It is neither low risk high reward or desperation. it is merely taking a shot. If it works out great. If it doesn't, nothing lost.

Genghis Khan

It is neither low risk high reward or desperation. it is merely taking a shot. If it works out great. If it doesn't, nothing lost.
I disagree that there's nothing lost. Maybe, maybe not. Players like this are poison.

Genghis Khan

Also, I can already tell you it won't work out. He has a long track record. Guys don't just suddenly change like that.

That's my point. I'm all for swinging for the fences when it's a calculated risk. But I just don't see any payoff here. That's what makes it desperate.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Who else were they going to bring in off the street that would be so much better?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Also, I can already tell you it won't work out. He has a long track record. Guys don't just suddenly change like that.

That's my point. I'm all for swinging for the fences when it's a calculated risk. But I just don't see any payoff here. That's what makes it desperate.
At this juncture it's nothing more than any number of guys they bring in for TC. Actually the organization is at an advantage because they know his history as well. They can prepare for it.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch

How is this NOT a calculated risk? The trade parameters are set up very favorably for the team. If he fails, the team loses nothing. If he makes it as a rotational player, then it's on the teams finish compared to Baltimore's if they swap 7ths. If he makes it as a starter, then they swap the 6th for their 7th. And I'd say that would be well worth it for a starter.

And as far as telling anybody it won't work out, you have no idea if it will or won't. Who's to say he couldn't have matured over the last couple years? It's not like anybody is expecting him to change over night. It's been two season's since he's played. And if he hasn't, he doesn't make it out of training camp.

So again, I'd say this is a calculated swing at the fences. With possible good payoff with minimal pay for it.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
It's not like anybody is expecting him to change over night.
Considering it was just in May when he quit football for the second time in two years saying his heart wasn't in it after a tryout at Ravens mini-camp, I'd say yeah, we are asking him to change overnight.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Considering it was just in May when he quit football for the second time in two years saying his heart wasn't in it after a tryout at Ravens mini-camp, I'd say yeah, we are asking him to change overnight.
Mentally he is either ready to play now or he isn't. It won't take long to find out.

Top Bottom