Moore: What does the extreme makeover of the Cowboys’ defensive line mean for Tyrone Crawford?

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
By David Moore

8:34 PM on Mar 25, 2020

Gerald McCoy is in the fold.

Dontari Poe should soon follow.

The interior of the Cowboys defensive line is undergoing an extreme makeover. The added size should help swallow up opposing lines and give the Cowboys linebackers more room to roam and make plays. But the benefit this provides to another veteran is being overlooked.

Tyrone Crawford is arguably the most versatile member of the Dallas defensive line. While that’s a valuable trait, it has worked against him through the years.

There have been offseasons when the coaching staff planned to use Crawford at defensive tackle, asked him to bulk up then moved him outside due to injuries once the season was underway. The reverse — telling Crawford he would be used at end, only to be forced to move him inside where he was then too light for his own good — also took place.

Crawford should no longer have to bounce from one spot to the other across the line. Sure, he’ll be asked to line up at different spots in different packages. But with the size the Cowboys now have on the interior, look for him to stay outside.

If you projected the starting lineup at this moment, the ends would be DeMarcus Lawrence and Crawford.

Need another example that Crawford will fill a significant role on the Cowboys defense? Here it is: sources said there are currently no plans to approach the veteran about reducing his $8 million price tag for the upcoming season. If the anticipation was he would have no more than a bit role, club officials would have negotiated to trim his salary by now.

Hip surgery limited Crawford to four games last season. But he missed only four games in the previous five seasons, splitting his starts between end and tackle.

The Cowboys shouldn’t need to lean on Crawford at tackle this season. He’s days of bouncing around should be done.

Finally.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Here it is: sources said there are currently no plans to approach the veteran about reducing his $8 million price tag for the upcoming season. If the anticipation was he would have no more than a bit role, club officials would have negotiated to trim his salary by now.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
It is what it is. Crawford has been the definition of uninspiring since the team's "let's bet on this player becoming a star" overpayment contract following his marginal "break out" year in 2015, his third year in the league.

I like that idea in principal but they seem to have been snake bitten with this approach since then.

Anyway, Crawford takes more heat than he should because of that contract. It only has one year left and we don't desperately need the money. People forget how good this defense was in 2018 featuring Crawford and Gregory at that spot, and with Quinn gone that's what it should return to, except that DT should be better as well, as Poe/McCoy should be better than Collins/Woods. And if we can add a talent like Kinlaw, very nice.

Crawford is actually a decent role player to have around because he can fill so many roles competently. I suspect Gregory takes that RE spot back over as he did near the end of 2018 anyway.... I think we'll be ok on the DL. Not like our DL performance last year was that stellar to begin with despite Quinn having 11 sacks.

Bottom line: I'm always a believer in the primacy of the DL and I think this DL has a long way to go to become elite, but, I don't think it's gonna be any worse than last year and it is probably better if Lawrence returns to form.... Crawford isn't a bad player.

p1_

DCC 4Life
Crawford's health is at issue, even if he is unfairly judged. If he does end up being able to play, at least it will be at the edge, where I think he's at his best and most effective.

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
This has been a bad contract and series of bad decisions from the very beginning. But no matter how much evidence the Cowboys get on it, they refuse to act on it and do the same, dumb thing. That’s their ongoing mistake, no one else’s. Continue to piss money away on a backup role player that’s not close to worth it. While you then pinch pennies everywhere else. Keep looking foolish.

p1_

DCC 4Life
This has been a bad contract and series of bad decisions from the very beginning. But no matter how much evidence the Cowboys get on it, they refuse to act on it and do the same, dumb thing. That’s their ongoing mistake, no one else’s. Continue to piss money away on a backup role player that’s not close to worth it. While you then pinch pennies everywhere else. Keep looking foolish.
Id like to hear Tomsula and Nolan on this particular player

Stasheroo

DCC 4Life
Id like to hear Tomsula and Nolan on this particular player
For me, it still wouldn't change my opinion very much. I've heard enough talk to only see disappointing results for long enough.

I am here:

Top Bottom