Mock drafts: ‘Athletic freak’ Anthony Barr gaining momentum as possible Cowboys pick

Smitty

DCC 4Life
According to some of the draft reports I have read, expect Barkevious Mingo-type rookie season out of him due to the fact he has never played DE in a 4 man front.

Makes me wish we had not abandoned the 3-4.
I'd easily return to the 3-4 depending on our next DC hire.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
the Steelers cut Woodley and Barr would be a great replacement as a pass rushing OLB.
Not every pick before us is going to be a player we want. We do this every year, we think the teams in front of us want the same players we want, because, well, those are the ones that are desirable in our minds.

And every year someone falls.

I've said before a couple times in other threads. If the 3 QBs, and like 2 DBs, or 1 DB and Eric Ebron go ahead of our pick, we're gonna get like Barr, Donald or Lewan. At worst, we'll be left looking at CJ Moseley. Absolute worst case scenario.

If one of the top 3 QBs slips... Then I'll take the QB.

Last edited:

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Lewan and it's not even remotely close.
I don't agree with that. I think Lewan is the better player, but Martin IMO is a better fit for our current team since he an play both G and T. And, let's not act like we are comparing 1st round talent with 5th round talent. Martin is a 1st round prospect.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I'd easily return to the 3-4 depending on our next DC hire.
No defense works without the proper personnel.

Dallas lost all of its defensive linemen the year they switched to a base set with a 4-man line.

This could only happen to Jerry Jones. Even the most incompetent GM in any other system would not have the leeway to gamble on longshots like Jones does.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I don't agree with that. I think Lewan is the better player, but Martin IMO is a better fit for our current team since he an play both G and T. And, let's not act like we are comparing 1st round talent with 5th round talent. Martin is a 1st round prospect.
If I have to choose between a guy who is excellent at one position and a guy who is just good at two positions, I always take the first guy.

Cotton

Staff member
If I have to choose between a guy who is excellent at one position and a guy who is just good at two positions, I always take the first guy.
And, I said that Lewan should be the pick if both are there. I was referring to the inference that there is this huge gap between the two players, because there isn't.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
And, I said that Lewan should be the pick if both are there. I was referring to the inference that there is this huge gap between the two players, because there isn't.
I'm not even a big Lewan fan to be honest. I saw him get beat too much at Michigan for my preference. I think he is a hell of an athlete but gets overrated. Just in theory I don't really give bonus points to these versatile offensive lineman. If I'm talking about a backup I care about versatility but my first round pick had better be a starter. I'm not worried about versatility when I am trying to draft a stud starter.

Cotton

Staff member
I'm not even a big Lewan fan to be honest. I saw him get beat too much at Michigan for my preference. I think he is a hell of an athlete but gets overrated. Just in theory I don't really give bonus points to these versatile offensive lineman. If I'm talking about a backup I care about versatility but my first round pick had better be a starter. I'm not worried about versatility when I am trying to draft a stud starter.
You are letting his versatility muddle your opinion. Just because he can play both positions doesn't automatically make him a mediocre player. Because he is far from a mediocre player. He will be a starter in this league at one position or the other for a long time.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
I think Lewan is the better player, but Martin IMO is a better fit for our current team since he an play both G and T.
And this is exactly what we bitch about with this team. You included.

Cotton

Staff member
And this is exactly what we bitch about with this team. You included.
Well, we aren't blowing the team up, so I guess I'm beaten down into the reality that we are stuck with trying to win now.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I think it's very possible that Martin ends up a better OG than Lewan does as an LT/RT, I also think it's possible Martin ends up the better RT. Lewan is clearly the better LT prospect though.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I'm not insinuating there is a 1st round - to - 5th round difference between Martin and Lewan.

But Lewan is a top 10 prospect on par with Donald and Barr, IMO, a half step behind the elite guys like Mack and Robinson.

Martin is in the very clear next level down. Taking him over Lewan would be like taking Jernigan over Donald. Still getting a good player -- and technically a more versatile one -- but IMO clearly the inferior one.

Cotton

Staff member
I'm not insinuating there is a 1st round - to - 5th round difference between Martin and Lewan.

But Lewan is a top 10 prospect on par with Donald and Barr, IMO, a half step behind the elite guys like Mack and Robinson.

Martin is in the very clear next level down. Taking him over Lewan would be like taking Jernigan over Donald. Still getting a good player -- and technically a more versatile one -- but IMO clearly the inferior one.
A player taken at 10 versus a player taken at 16 is not "very clearly" on the next level down.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
A player taken at 10 versus a player taken at 16 is not "very clearly" on the next level down.
Why not? Every year there are clearly some blue chip guys that pretty much every one considers a can't miss player. Then the next level of players, where the flaws start showing up a little more often. And so on, and so on...

Cotton

Staff member
Why not? Every year there are clearly some blue chip guys that pretty much every one considers a can't miss player. Then the next level of players, where the flaws start showing up a little more often. And so on, and so on...
Players taken 6 spots apart are not on "very clearly" different levels. It's that simple. I do believe that they can be on different tiers, but on "very clearly" different levels is asinine.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Players taken 6 spots apart are not on "very clearly" different levels. It's that simple. I do believe that they can be on different tiers, but on "very clearly" different levels is asinine.
So you have you're opinion on that. Cool. My opinion is that if the blue chip players run out at say, the sixth person selected, the seventh person selected is "very clearly" on a different level than the first six. And that's only one spot apart.

Cotton

Staff member
So you have you're opinion on that. Cool. My opinion is that if the blue chip players run out at say, the sixth person selected, the seventh person selected is "very clearly" on a different level than the first six. And that's only one spot apart.
Yep, I don't agree with that. On a different tier, sure. On a "clearly different" level, nope.

Top Bottom