MLB Chatter Thread

D

Deuce

I saw one of those grids last night that shows a straight away shot at the catcher and where the pitch was when it crossed the plate. It was an even worse call than that gif gives him credit for if you believe it.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Surpisingly, every game so far the Twins have had good starting pitching. Either no offense or the bullpen letting them down has been the cause of their 3 losses.

I know it's early, but I am shocked.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Exhibit A why these, blind prima donna motherfuckers should be removed from calling balls and strikes. Imagine if this was some kind of really important game.

Most of these guys have their own personal opinion on what the strike zone should be and piss on what the rule book says. Or they are just terrible like this guy.

D

Deuce

It's hard to make the case that it was an important game with 155+ still to go, but these two teams are potentially going to fight each other for the WC spots. I would say each game they play (either in April or October) are important.

Now, obviously Longoria would have needed to get at least a hit at the next AB just to tie, but he should have been given the chance.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Computerized balls and strikes is a terrible idea. That was a horrid call, not issue with that, but for the most part I have no problem with umps and their strike zones. Now having instant replay for other calls I am for, just not balls and strikes.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Computerized balls and strikes is a terrible idea. That was a horrid call, not issue with that, but for the most part I have no problem with umps and their strike zones. Now having instant replay for other calls I am for, just not balls and strikes.
I agree. If you computerize the strike zone, it makes the game too robotic. Might as well use a computer to simulate the game while we're at it. Human error is part of the game. Retarded idea.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
My biggest issue is why are these guys allowed to call any fucking strike zone they want to?

If you are not going to computerize it then these assholes need to be graded harshly on how they call the by the book strike zone and the lowest scorers churned for new guys who might try harder or not have an ego that demands their own interpretation of the rules.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I have no problem if different umps have different strike zones...as long as they are consistent. That is part of the game, knowing the umpire and what kind of zone he has.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I have no problem if different umps have different strike zones...as long as they are consistent. That is part of the game, knowing the umpire and what kind of zone he has.
Exactly.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
It is not part of the game.

There is this little thing called a fucking rule book and you are supposed to follow it.

Carp

DCC 4Life
It is not part of the game.

There is this little thing called a fucking rule book and you are supposed to follow it.
The STRIKE ZONE is that area over home plate the upper limit of which is a horizontal line at the midpoint between the top of the shoulders and the top of the uniform
pants, and the lower level is a line at the hollow beneath the kneecap. The Strike Zone shall be determined from the batter’s stance as the batter is prepared to swing at a pitched ball.

These are the rules for the strike zone...it can be interpreted differently by humans...and probably by computers too.

D

Deuce

Ya I don't think computers need to be involved as the zone is adjusted based on the batter. What I do have a problem with is shitty umps who go without any consequence to their calls.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Ya I don't think computers need to be involved as the zone is adjusted based on the batter. What I do have a problem with is shitty umps who go without any consequence to their calls.
Yeah...I am down with that. They should put Matt Harvey is charge of it, because he can pretty much do anything right now.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
The STRIKE ZONE is that area over home plate the upper limit of which is a horizontal line at the midpoint between the top of the shoulders and the top of the uniform
pants, and the lower level is a line at the hollow beneath the kneecap. The Strike Zone shall be determined from the batter’s stance as the batter is prepared to swing at a pitched ball.

These are the rules for the strike zone...it can be interpreted differently by humans...and probably by computers too.
Yes, the umpire has to change the strike zone based on player, but that is no excuse for these guys who constantly call a strike when the ball is clearly outside or inside. That is based on home plate which doesn't change size. Every other game you hear the announcers say that the home plate ump "has been calling outside strikes all day" or something similar.

2233boys

Not So New Member
As long as the umpires strike zone doesn't change throughout the game I'm ok with it. They just need to be consistent.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Maybe the mass media will cool it with this noise about our bad offseason and how we can't win anything without Hamilton now that they've seen all four of our Cy Young Candidates.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
As long as the umpires strike zone doesn't change throughout the game I'm ok with it. They just need to be consistent.
That's always kind of been the mindset and I'm generally OK with it. The idea of an absolute, universal strike zone via technology is interesting but potentially flawed too. I think it aids offense a little. At times now pitchers can gain a slight advantage if they know a particular ump gives them a more generous corner or whatever. I don't know. I think I mostly agree with Deuce that umps need to be held accountable but it would be nice if somehow blatantly blown calls like last night could be overturned. It's a shame when everyone knows it was a blown call as soon as it happens but nothing can be done about it.

Top Bottom