MLB Chatter Thread

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
He signed with Baltimore because Seattle chose Corey Hart over him.

Idiots.
They were still negotiating with him last week but things broke down. Really surprised Rangers couldn't go at least 8 but I guess our DH is going to be Moreland. Yuck.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
I'm actually fine with Mitch at DH. With Fielder we can rotate them at that spot and be fine, IMO.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Baltimore kind of made a late run here...good deal for Cruz...not sure on Jimenez.

Rev

Staff member
I'm actually fine with Mitch at DH. With Fielder we can rotate them at that spot and be fine, IMO.
He is fine for the few weeks that he gets hot. Then you have the injury that will derail him for weeks and then the cold stretch for weeks. Rinse and repeat.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
He is fine for the few weeks that he gets hot. Then you have the injury that will derail him for weeks and then the cold stretch for weeks. Rinse and repeat.
Yeah, but the good thing is without him playing as much in the field his injuries shouldn't flare up nearly as much.

Carp

DCC 4Life
This is a weird Rangers team...they look loaded, but it seems like an odd mix.

Rev

Staff member
This is a weird Rangers team...they look loaded, but it seems like an odd mix.
I like the fact that we have addressed the OBP that was lacking last season. It does seem to be a hit or miss with the lineup. Injuries are starting to take toll on the pitching staff already and now Soto is having surgery on his foot.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Syndergaard is going to be special...if everything works out he is a part of a big 3 with Wheeler and Cy Harvey.

Carp

DCC 4Life
So the Mets offered Drew 9.5 mil and he declined...ridiculous that he wants more money.

Rev

Staff member
Now that it's clear Nelson Cruz won't be back, it's unclear who the Rangers will use as their designated hitter against lefties, Evan Grant of the Dallas Morning News writes. The Rangers still had interest in Cruz, Grant writes, noting that, in addition to the qualifying offer, they made at least one offer that exceeded the $8MM Cruz ended up taking from the Orioles. That leaves them with a variety of options to play DH against lefties, but none manager Ron Washington likes very much: Mitch Moreland is a lefty, Michael Choice doesn't have enough experience for Washington's taste, and Washington would prefer to keep the Rangers' spare catcher (Geovany Soto or J.P. Arencibia, depending on who isn't starting) available on the bench.

hmm... must be some bad blood there then. Oh well.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
CJ Edwards made #28 on Baseball America's Top 50 list. Thanks Rangers! :towel

#28 seems wildly aggressive though. He was dominant in the lower levels last year but I think it's crazy to vault him that high already. If he moves up this year and dominates that level too then he deserves that kind of ranking. Right now it's too early, IMO. Baseball Prospectus has him at #81 and Keith Law at #67. Much more reasonable.

Hopefully he pans out. They need some promising young arms. Getting a quality starter in a Garza dump would be a steal.

Last edited:

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Miguel Sano to have elbow examined after more soreness

Aaron Gleeman

Feb 28, 2014, 1:03 PM EST
1 Comment
Twins Daily Reuters

More bad news for stud prospects, as slugging Twins third baseman Miguel Sano joins Oscar Taveras and Taijuan Walker in having negative injury updates today.

Sano has been dealing with elbow problems since winter ball, but was cleared for game action upon arriving at Twins camp. Unfortunately in yesterday’s game he tweaked his elbow making a throw from third base and will be looked at by doctors today.

Because of his size Sano was already a question mark to stick at third base defensively long term, so the elbow problems further decrease those odds. Previously there was talk that he might require Tommy John surgery, which while not as bad for position players as pitchers would still be a major setback in his development.
----------------------------------

Not good news for one of the Twins stud prospects, NoDak. Hopefully he won't have to have TJ.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
Bah. That sucks. I was hoping he'd get a full season in AAA, and be a September call up. Take over next year. The Twins haven't had power like his for a long, long time.

D

Deuce

It's official on Sano to get TJ surgery.

Its too too bad, but he'll recover.

NoDak

Hotlinking' sonofabitch
FORT MYERS, Fla. -- Top third-base prospect Miguel Sano will undergo Tommy John surgery to repair the ulnar collateral ligament in his right elbow, the Twins confirmed Saturday.

Sano felt something in his right elbow while making a throw in Thursday's intrasquad game, and an MRI exam on Friday revealed a high-grade partial tear of his UCL. After consulting with team doctors, it was determined that the infielder needed Tommy John surgery.

Sano, ranked as the No. 4 overall prospect by MLB.com, is likely to miss the rest of the season. The timetable for position players having Tommy John surgery is generally eight months rather than the typical 12-month recovery for pitchers.
--------------

&%#$!!

Top Bottom