MLB Chatter Thread

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Garza to Brewers for 4 years, $52M.
I think that's a pretty damn good deal for Garza. The big question is if he's going to stay healthy. I know that when the Cubs were shopping him some teams were concerned about his long term future because of some of the things they saw in his medicals.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Rangers with some interest in AJ Burnett now that he wants to pitch again. Don't want Santana. Think Jiminez wants too much so I guess Burnett and Cruz will have to do.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I'd look in to Arroyo if I was the Rangers...he's still a good pitcher and may take a 1 year deal.

Rev

Staff member
I'd look in to Arroyo if I was the Rangers...he's still a good pitcher and may take a 1 year deal.
Think its a money issue. 2 of the owners have already stated that they are over their budget so not sure they can even sign anybody. Just have to think Burnett would be cheaper.

Cruz is being squeezed by the draft pick compensation and his age so we might get lucky and get him really cheap for a year.

Carp

DCC 4Life
When you get closer to ST though, players get itchy to get out there.

Rev

Staff member
We stole Pedro Figueroa from the Rays so there is that.

Season is complete.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Granderson said that real NY fans are Mets fans. Victory is mine.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
None of you Rangers fans cared to mention that Michael Young announced his retirement? I wasn't aware of the fact that he never went on the DL in his entire career. That's pretty impressive. Averaged 155 games played per year. He was a good player for a long time but I didn't realize how durable he also was.

Kbrown

Not So New Member
On the subject of retirements, I put Lance Berkman up there with Biggio and Bagwell as a consummate Astro, despite having played elsewhere, including the Dallas Rangers. Local guy, likeable personality. If he isnt in the Astros organization in a year or two, I wouldnt be shocked to see him broadcasting.

I don't think I see him in the HOF, but he had a few great seasons over his career. I do wonder if his performance from the right hand side of the plate didn't hold back his career.

Rev

Staff member
None of you Rangers fans cared to mention that Michael Young announced his retirement? I wasn't aware of the fact that he never went on the DL in his entire career. That's pretty impressive. Averaged 155 games played per year. He was a good player for a long time but I didn't realize how durable he also was.
Sorry. Got busy the last few days. Always liked the player and was real good for a good amount of time. Just a professional in the way he went about playing and a good example for the young players that we had. Had a bad year and the fans turned on him and didn't really deserve that.

Rev

Staff member
Have to give kudos to the ranger scouts at the time, too. He was basically a throw in in the trade of Estaban Loiza to the blue jays.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
On the subject of retirements, I put Lance Berkman up there with Biggio and Bagwell as a consummate Astro, despite having played elsewhere, including the Dallas Rangers. Local guy, likeable personality. If he isnt in the Astros organization in a year or two, I wouldnt be shocked to see him broadcasting.

I don't think I see him in the HOF, but he had a few great seasons over his career. I do wonder if his performance from the right hand side of the plate didn't hold back his career.
:lol

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
The Cubs signed righty Jason Hammel to a one year deal, said to be worth about $6M. Worth a shot for a back end of the rotation guy. He was pretty good in 2012 until he had to have knee surgery. I'm not expecting much out of him. An ERA probably a little north of 4.00 is probably as well as he'll do. I'm just hoping he can stay healthy and at least be an innings eater. Best case scenario is that he performs better than expected and they can get a little something out of him in trade. Last year they flipped Scott Feldman and got Jake Arrieta and Pedro Strop in return. That's a win.

Right now the Cubs 2014 rotation looks like it will be Samardzija, E. Jackson, T. Wood, Arrieta, and Hammel. That isn't going to win any championships but there is potential for it to be a halfway decent rotation. I expect T. Wood to take a step back because he overperformed last season. I was very encouraged by what I saw from Arrieta in a Cubs uniform so I'm hoping to see more of the same this coming season (the walks will kill him eventually though unless he figures out a way to cut them down).

It's all about waiting until 2015 and beyond at this point. Several of their stud prospects should be in the lineup by then and I expect a couple of higher profile free agents will be brought in at that time also. Hopefully they can put together a run of success in the second half of this decade.

Last edited:

Kbrown

Not So New Member
I was trying to stoke the new Selig-created rivalry but you people taking it in stride really puts a damper on my trolling.

Rev

Staff member
The name of Houston's team. I know that, like most Rangers fans, you likely discovered baseball about 5 years ago, so I forgive you.
I would like to get in on this trash talking but picking on the Astros is kind of like challenging your 5 year old nephew to a fistfight. Just need to wait a few more years.

Top Bottom