MLB Chatter Thread

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Rangers fans are risk-averse bunch. I get the concern with Kemp in particular but I'd do it. MVP caliber player when healthy and moving from an extreme pitcher's park in the NL West to an extreme hitter's park in the AL West would be a huge deal.

The Rangers simply have to improve their team somehow and they're going to have to give up something to get impact players. The FA market isn't going to be very strong this year so they can be conservative and do very little like they have the past couple years or they can go for it and hope their prospects all pan out over the next few years.
We are close to roster max now that management cut our payroll by 30 million. We can't afford to pay a "maybe" 20 mill a year. I was really hoping to get Abreu. But, since that didn't happen, I didn't want to fall back and settle for Kemp.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
We are close to roster max now that management cut our payroll by 30 million. We can't afford to pay a "maybe" 20 mill a year. I was really hoping to get Abreu. But, since that didn't happen, I didn't want to fall back and settle for Kemp.
If that's the case then I hope you enjoyed those World Series appearances. They won't happen again any time soon.

I'm not saying they're doomed if they don't get Matt Kemp, but if they're slashing payroll like that and it limits their ability to make impact moves then I really think they're spinning their tires in the mud right now. They need another SP and they definitely need a bit bat or two. Where is that going to come from?

Cotton

Staff member
If that's the case then I hope you enjoyed those World Series appearances. They won't happen again any time soon.

I'm not saying they're doomed if they don't get Matt Kemp, but if they're slashing payroll like that and it limits their ability to make impact moves then I really think they're spinning their tires in the mud right now. They need another SP and they definitely need a bit bat or two. Where is that going to come from?
We have money to make moves, but not enough to risk it with Kemp, IMO. But, yeah, I wasn't happy when I found out they cut payroll.

D

Deuce

Rangers fans are risk-averse bunch. I get the concern with Kemp in particular but I'd do it. MVP caliber player when healthy and moving from an extreme pitcher's park in the NL West to an extreme hitter's park in the AL West would be a huge deal.

The Rangers simply have to improve their team somehow and they're going to have to give up something to get impact players. The FA market isn't going to be very strong this year so they can be conservative and do very little like they have the past couple years or they can go for it and hope their prospects all pan out over the next few years.
I just simply don't get it. To be so close to the WS twice and not be willing to do what it takes to get over that hump. And let's not act like they are just absorbing $20M a year with Kemp, they are only absorbing about $8M a year to upgrade because of Andrus' ridiculous extension. Even if they are trying to cut some payroll, $8M a year is doable.

Cotton

Staff member
I really appreciate that you all are taking such an interest in the Rangers. :lol

Tony D

DCC 4Life
Who wants to pay Andre Ethier $18M/year for the next 4 years?

{looks around room, sees no one raising hand}
Ever hear of a team trading a guy with a bad contract and picking up some of his remaining salary? That’s what the dodgers would have to do and they can afford it. Ethier at 10mil/year is better than 18mil/year.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Ever hear of a team trading a guy with a bad contract and picking up some of his remaining salary? That’s what the dodgers would have to do and they can afford it. Ethier at 10mil/year is better than 18mil/year.
No, never heard of that. It isn't as though my favorite team did that exact same thing in a deal with your team this season (Soriano).

I'm sure the Dodgers would have no choice but to pay a percentage of Ethier's salary. A large percentage, too. Like at least half, to bring him down to around $9M/year. I'm sure he'd be more attractive to teams at that rate but even then I don't think anyone would be willing to give up anything in the way of prospects for him. He is worthless against lefties, has no speed on the basepaths, average power, and average at best defense (probably subpar, really). Just not sure what he brings to the table that you can't get even cheaper than $9/$10M per year. If I'm a GM I'd take my chances on a series of 1 year deals to older vets before I'd commit anything to a player like Ethier and his contract.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
While all the talk to begin the offseason is about the New York Yankees' stated desire to cut the yearly payroll to $189 million, the front office is devising a plan that could have the team going on a $300 million shopping spree, sources have told ESPNNewYork.com.

The Yankees' initial main targets are expected to include their own Robinson Cano, Japanese starter Masahiro Tanaka, Atlanta Braves catcher Brian McCann and St. Louis Cardinals outfielder Carlos Beltran, according to sources.

http://espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/stor...shopping-spree

They just cant help themselves....

Rev

Staff member
Dodgers offered Kershaw $300MM
By Aaron Steen [October 19 at 5:29pm CST]
The Dodgers offered Clayton Kershaw a contract valued at approximately $300MM some time this season, ESPN's Buster Olney reports. The offer was "essentially a lifetime contract" that a source with knowledge of the discussions described as "an A-Rod deal."

Sources say that the two sides weren't able to reach an agreement, with Kershaw citing uncertainty about making such a large commitment and about discussing his contract during the season. However, the progress thus far indicates to some who are aware of the discussions that a deal could be completed this winter. The eventual contract may be "more conservative in length" than the Dodgers' offer and would allocate a significant amount of money toward a charity of Kershaw's choice.

Regardless, the deal is expected to be the largest ever for a pitcher, Olney says, as it's likely to eclipse pacts such as the seven-year, $175MM agreement between Felix Hernandez and the Mariners that was announced earlier this year. The 25-year-old Kershaw, who is on track to reach free agency following the 2015 season, has a lifetime 2.60 ERA in 1180 regular-season innings.

Rev

Staff member
Astros Could Pursue Choo In Free Agency
By Jeff Todd [October 19 at 12:22pm CST]
The lowly Astros could shock everyone and go after outfielder Shin-Soo Choo in the coming off-season, reports Jon Heyman of CBSSports.com. The club has literally no ongoing future salary commitments other than the recently extended Jose Altuve, leaving ample flexibility if it chooses to increase its payroll. And GM Jeff Luhnow is a well-known proponent of on-base percentage, says Heyman.

Heyman analogizes the possibility of Choo going to the Astros to the Nationals' signing of Jayson Werth back in 2010. Indeed, there seems to be little doubt that a huge payday would be necessary to lure Choo to Houston. The 31-year-old figures to appeal to a wide variety of clubs, and the cellar-dwelling 'Stros might need to outbid the market by a decent sum. Hunter Pence signed for $90MM before he even hit free agency, setting a high price point and reducing supply. And Choo's agent, Scott Boras, is expected to demand nine figures for the on-base machine.

Astros opening the purse strings....

D

Deuce

While all the talk to begin the offseason is about the New York Yankees' stated desire to cut the yearly payroll to $189 million, the front office is devising a plan that could have the team going on a $300 million shopping spree, sources have told ESPNNewYork.com.

The Yankees' initial main targets are expected to include their own Robinson Cano, Japanese starter Masahiro Tanaka, Atlanta Braves catcher Brian McCann and St. Louis Cardinals outfielder Carlos Beltran, according to sources.

That's a move they'll try and get involved in if they have a deal in place for Price. They will save $12M by losing him. But I'd rather ride with the young kids we have. Use the money on the pen.

Tony D

DCC 4Life

Well...they haven't developed players like you would want for quite awhile, they have a shit ton of money coming off the books this offseason and did you see the team they rolled out there most of last year? If they don't want a half filled ballpark and lower ratings on YES they have to spend money. They have too many holes to fill. This article said they would spend a ton this offseason and still fall below the $189 million limit. If they get under $189 million for 2014 then they will go nuts after that anyhow.

Any fan if a team that makes as much money as the Yanks would want them to spend it and not pocket it like many MLB owners do. The problem with the Yanks now is they can't develop shit in the minors. I've been hearing that all their good prospects were in the lower levels and years away, well now those kids should be pushing for jobs second half of 2014 and into 2015.

Tony D

DCC 4Life
Prince Fielder is owed $24 million each of the next 7 years through 2020.

D

Deuce

That won't start being a bad contract until about 2018 or so. 2 years of a bad deal isn't the worst thing in the world. It's not like the Pujols deal or anything.

Tony D

DCC 4Life
That won't start being a bad contract until about 2018 or so. 2 years of a bad deal isn't the worst thing in the world. It's not like the Pujols deal or anything.
He's the 5th highest paid player in the game and he's just not worth it. It’s not Arod, Texiera or CC bad, but it’s bad. He’ll not age well and may have already started declining. By the time he’s 32 or 33 he’ll be a shell of what he was. I guess that’s 2 or 3 years like you said, but he won’t be earning the 24 million the next 4 years either. If the Tigers could dump that salary they’d do it in a heartbeat.

D

Deuce

He's the 5th highest paid player in the game and he's just not worth it. It’s not Arod, Texiera or CC bad, but it’s bad. He’ll not age well and may have already started declining. By the time he’s 32 or 33 he’ll be a shell of what he was. I guess that’s 2 or 3 years like you said, but he won’t be earning the 24 million the next 4 years either. If the Tigers could dump that salary they’d do it in a heartbeat.
He hasn't started to decline. He had a very nice year, just a bad postseason. He'll continue to perform even after he balloons up to a crazy size, but then he'll just move to DH and be a fat power hitting slob like Ortiz.

Top Bottom