MLB Chatter Thread

D

Deuce

Appel is the real deal. I remember catching a few of his games in the college WS last year. Gray I don't know anything about other than him getting pinched recently for testing positive for Adderal (illegal substance in pros) without a prescription.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Appel is the real deal. I remember catching a few of his games in the college WS last year. Gray I don't know anything about other than him getting pinched recently for testing positive for Adderal (illegal substance in pros) without a prescription.
You played catcher for Stanford last year?! :art

I've read up on Appel quite a bit this past month or so since he's been one of the guys tied to the Cubs. Sounds like he has ace potential and played four years at Stanford so he's supposed to be pretty polished. Shouldn't need to spend too long in the minors. Something random I came across when reading an article on Appel...apparently the pitching coach at Stanford is named Rusty Filter. :lol

I saw that Gray got popped for Adderal but it doesn't sound as though it's likely to affect his draft stock. Some scouts think he has even more upside than Appel and he can hit 100 MPH on the gun.

I'm hoping for Appel but would be fine with Gray. Just as long as they don't go off the reservation like they did in 2010 when they took Hayden Simpson in the first round, a move that was panned as a huge, huge reach at the time. That was BT* though so I don't anticipate any crazy shit like that happening.

*Before Theo

Last edited:

Carp

DCC 4Life
If there is a pitcher there that we can't live without I am fine with that, but I want the Mets to draft a college bat so god damn bad. Hunter Renfroe, DJ Peterson, Aaron Judge, or Austin Wilson are all guys I'd be happy with. Renfroe is probably the safest pick, but Judge is just a fucking monster...like a Stanton type.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
If there is a pitcher there that we can't live without I am fine with that, but I want the Mets to draft a college bat so god damn bad. Hunter Renfroe, DJ Peterson, Aaron Judge, or Austin Wilson are all guys I'd be happy with. Renfroe is probably the safest pick, but Judge is just a fucking monster...like a Stanton type.
They could definitely use a guy like that. Someone with ++ power who can regularly drive the ball out of that park.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Really the only positions I feel good about is 3B and 2B...the rest is up for grabs. Wilmer Flores has been hitting the ball good though, so maybe he can play some SS.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Really the only positions I feel good about is 3B and 2B...the rest is up for grabs. Wilmer Flores has been hitting the ball good though, so maybe he can play some SS.
At the MLB level the only "core" guys the Cubs really have are Castro, Rizzo, and Samardzija (I assume they'll sign Samardzija to an extension at the end of the season). Not a lot. Even Castro, who is someone the current regime inherited, has a lot of things about his game they do not like. In the minors they have a primo SS prospect in Baez (could move to 3B or Castro could move to 2B down the road) and two primo OF prospects in Almora and Soler.

Theo/Hoyer are looking for power arms and they'll get one with their first pick. I'm assuming they'll take a few more in this draft as well. As far as bats go, besides Rizzo just about everyone they have is allergic to working the count/taking walks. Theo/Hoyer much prefer guys who grind it out at the plate and work the count, so I anticipate they'll take a few bats like that in this draft too.

From what I've read this is supposed to be a pretty weak draft overall but I'm sure there are a handful of guys that will be good major leaguers. Keeping my fingers crossed that the Cubs make good choices. So far I really like what Theo/Hoyer have done since they took over.

D

Deuce

I'm especially happy to see the Rays mocked at grabbing a Catcher with one of their two 1st round picks. We've never had a legit catching prospect and one would think the organization just doesn't value them as they never grab them early.

Carp

DCC 4Life
At the MLB level the only "core" guys the Cubs really have are Castro, Rizzo, and Samardzija (I assume they'll sign Samardzija to an extension at the end of the season). Not a lot. Even Castro, who is someone the current regime inherited, has a lot of things about his game they do not like. In the minors they have a primo SS prospect in Baez (could move to 3B or Castro could move to 2B down the road) and two primo OF prospects in Almora and Soler.

Theo/Hoyer are looking for power arms and they'll get one with their first pick. I'm assuming they'll take a few more in this draft as well. As far as bats go, besides Rizzo just about everyone they have is allergic to working the count/taking walks. Theo/Hoyer much prefer guys who grind it out at the plate and work the count, so I anticipate they'll take a few bats like that in this draft too.

From what I've read this is supposed to be a pretty weak draft overall but I'm sure there are a handful of guys that will be good major leaguers. Keeping my fingers crossed that the Cubs make good choices. So far I really like what Theo/Hoyer have done since they took over.
It is a shame...Tejada is not hitting and he was fielding horribly before the DL, Davis has regressed, Duda kinda is what he is, we don't really have a CF, Valdespin is a head case, and D'Arnaud has got to stay healthy. D'Arnaud is already 24, so he needs to get on it. Nimmo is an OF in our system I really like and Gavin Cecchini might have a shot at SS, but we need an infusion of offensive players. I think Syndergaard my have to go for some bats, but I am leery of dealing a guy I think might be on par with Wheeler.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I'm especially happy to see the Rays mocked at grabbing a Catcher with one of their two 1st round picks. We've never had a legit catching prospect and one would think the organization just doesn't value them as they never grab them early.
Dioner Navarro is deeply offended, though I guess he didn't actually come up through the Rays system. Still, having a HOF talent like that and just parting ways with him? Going to set that organization back a few years.

:unsure

Last edited:

Carp

DCC 4Life
Sounds like the Astros are going to take Moran from UNC.

Bob Roberts

Professor StinkFinger
T.J. Quinn of ESPN's Outside the Lines reports that Major League Baseball is preparing to suspend Ryan Braun, Alex Rodriguez and about 20 others connected to the Biogenesis clinic in Miami.

The Biogenesis mess had seemed to calm down over the last couple months, but apparently there could be a major fallout yet to come. Quinn is reporting that founder Tony Bosch is prepared to testify against the players connected with his clinic. He also adds that A-Rod and Braun could face 100-game suspensions because of their connection to Bosch and because they lied about PED use. Bosch has previously denied any knowledge of suspected PED distribution at Biogenesis but has apparently reversed course. Gio Gonzalez, who was connected to Biogenesis, will reportedly not be suspended because he only acquired legal substances. Quinn says suspensions could come within two weeks, though most players are expected to appeal.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Where are you getting this?
I heard Keith Law say that he thinks that's where they're leaning. Apparently it has something to do with money. I have almost no understanding of the MLB draft slotting/salary system but from what I've heard it would somehow be cheaper to sign him at #1 overall than a pitcher like Appel or Gray in the same spot. Not sure why.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
T.J. Quinn of ESPN's Outside the Lines reports that Major League Baseball is preparing to suspend Ryan Braun, Alex Rodriguez and about 20 others connected to the Biogenesis clinic in Miami.

The Biogenesis mess had seemed to calm down over the last couple months, but apparently there could be a major fallout yet to come. Quinn is reporting that founder Tony Bosch is prepared to testify against the players connected with his clinic. He also adds that A-Rod and Braun could face 100-game suspensions because of their connection to Bosch and because they lied about PED use. Bosch has previously denied any knowledge of suspected PED distribution at Biogenesis but has apparently reversed course. Gio Gonzalez, who was connected to Biogenesis, will reportedly not be suspended because he only acquired legal substances. Quinn says suspensions could come within two weeks, though most players are expected to appeal.
This is going to turn into a real mess. I don't see how in the hell they're going to start handing out suspensions to guys who have not failed tests. Obviously there will an appeal process and I'm assuming the player's union and probably individual players who get suspended will file lawsuits against MLB. Guys like Braun and Robinson Cano are huge stars in the league and there are tons of others who could get suspensions as well. It can't end well.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
I'm happy to hear about Braun. It's obvious he failed a test before and he only got off because of a technicality.

D

Deuce

I heard Keith Law say that he thinks that's where they're leaning. Apparently it has something to do with money. I have almost no understanding of the MLB draft slotting/salary system but from what I've heard it would somehow be cheaper to sign him at #1 overall than a pitcher like Appel or Gray in the same spot. Not sure why.
I think Appel is a Boras client and its why he fell to 9 last year. As for slotting, there really isn't much of one. Players say what they want and cheap teams decide to go with talent that fits their budget. It's how the A's do it and its a reason the Astros took Correa last year.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Where are you getting this?
The Astros, by virtue of selecting first in each round of the draft, have the largest draft budget at $11,698,800. Of that total, $7,790,400 is assigned to the first-overall pick. By selecting someone like Moran with the first pick, they can offer him more money than he would make with say, the Indians, who select fifth and have $3,787,400 to spend on their first pick, but much, much less than they would have if they selected Gray, who is likely going to sign at least at the slot recommendation as he's a junior who can leverage his senior year of college into negotiations, like Mark Appel did with the Pirates last year.

D

Deuce

The Astros, by virtue of selecting first in each round of the draft, have the largest draft budget at $11,698,800. Of that total, $7,790,400 is assigned to the first-overall pick. By selecting someone like Moran with the first pick, they can offer him more money than he would make with say, the Indians, who select fifth and have $3,787,400 to spend on their first pick, but much, much less than they would have if they selected Gray, who is likely going to sign at least at the slot recommendation as he's a junior who can leverage his senior year of college into negotiations, like Mark Appel did with the Pirates last year.
So my question is, if Appel is at worst the 2nd best player in this draft and he can no longer leverage going back to school than why isn't he the hands down pick?

Top Bottom