MLB Chatter Thread

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Houston is a great place to live, especially if you have money.
I take it that is where you live?

I lived there for a couple years at the end of the 90s. I'm mostly kidding. It is a good place to make a living but a guy like Hamels has some choice what organization he goes to and what city he wants to live in. Personally Houston would be well down the list for me and apparently it is for him too because the Astros are in a really good spot right now.

BTW, just about anywhere is a great place to live if you have money.

Jiggyfly

Banned
I take it that is where you live?

I lived there for a couple years at the end of the 90s. I'm mostly kidding. It is a good place to make a living but a guy like Hamels has some choice what organization he goes to and what city he wants to live in. Personally Houston would be well down the list for me and apparently it is for him too because the Astros are in a really good spot right now.

BTW, just about anywhere is a great place to live if you have money.
I have lived in Houston but currently live about an hour away.

Houston is much different now than the end of the 90's it's much more cosmopolitan without the pretentiousness of "other" major cities.

I have lived all over, born in California and went to school on the east coast, Houston has a nice mix IMO.

I don't see why the Rangers would be so much more appealing than the Astros, especially considering the fan base and the stadium.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Well, I wonder how highly regarded those prospects were at the time. I really don't know because there wasn't nearly the coverage of prospects back then in the earlier days of the internet. My guess is that the scouts & certainly the Phillies organization considered it a quality package at the time. They wouldn't have given Schilling away for nothing. It just didn't turn out how they probably hoped it would in that trade.

Just goes to show how much of a crapshoot talent evaluation is in baseball. When the Cubs traded with the A's to get Rich Harden in 2008 one if the prospects they gave up in the deal, but never among the first couple mentioned when the trade was made, was a catching prospect named Josh Donaldson. He turned out just fine as a third baseman I'd say. So it works both ways. Sometimes they don't pan out & sometimes they turn into All-Stars.

Philly might as well take a shot because they may get a future All-Star out of the deal that can maybe be in his prime when they get good again. Or maybe they get 2-3 guys who turn into every day big leaguers & are cheap for several years to come. What good is Cole Hamels going to do them the next few years? They win 77 games instead of 73? The longer they keep him the lower the return. If it turns out like the package they got for Schilling it will be unfortunate for them but that is a chance they have to take if they are interested in trying to rebuild.
Schilling was 15 years ago, so let me give you another perspective. A few years ago they traded Hunter Pence and got nothing. Before that they traded Cliff Lee to Seattle and got nothing. Both were this same administration.

I'd rather have Hamels for the next three years than have nothing. So if the best deal out there is not for top prospects I'm not doing it if it's me.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Schilling was 15 years ago, so let me give you another perspective. A few years ago they traded Hunter Pence and got nothing. Before that they traded Cliff Lee to Seattle and got nothing. Both were this same administration.

I'd rather have Hamels for the next three years than have nothing. So if the best deal out there is not for top prospects I'm not doing it if it's me.
Well the latest rumor from Texas is some pretty good prospects if that makes you feel better. I don't think the Dodgers are budging at all but all 3 of the names being tossed around from Texas are in their top 10-15 prospects.

Genghis Khan

Well the latest rumor from Texas is some pretty good prospects if that makes you feel better. I don't think the Dodgers are budging at all but all 3 of the names being tossed around from Texas are in their top 10-15 prospects.
I think Texas is a good fit with us prospect-wise. Last I heard Amaro is trying to convince Hamels to accept a trade to Houston as apparently they have made the best offer.

D

Deuce

Zobrist to the Royals. Love when teams build the right way and then go all in when they're close.

Also good for my fantasy team as it gives him more opportunity at rbi and runs. I need some happiness for my team since we traded one of my favorite players for our own selfish desire to win a championship.

God speed, Giancarlo, you'll be missed.

Last edited by a moderator:

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I need some happiness for my team since we traded one of my favorite players for our own selfish desire to win a championship.

Good speed, Giancarlo, you'll be missed.

:excellent

You can't be too upset. You are pretty much unquestionably going to win the league now. I hated giving up MadBum+ but for that kind of bat in a keeper league...had to make the move.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Looks like Colin Cowherd may have been right.

Mets RP Jenrry Mejia who tested positive for PEDs in April and just came off an 80 game suspension earlier this, was suspended for 162 games today for testing positive again.

The guy is Dominican. Somewhere Colin is smiling saying, "Told ya.". :lol

Kbrown

Not So New Member

Too bad for you Ed Wade isn't still running the show around here. You'd be getting Houston's entire farm system, plus JJ Watt somehow.

Carp

DCC 4Life
See some floating around about Puig on the Mets radar. Not sure I would like it...he is more style than substance.

Rev

Staff member
Too bad for you Ed Wade isn't still running the show around here. You'd be getting Houston's entire farm system, plus JJ Watt somehow.
LOL... Would suck.. Watt would go to Eagles.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Syndergaard perfect through 6. He was the guy I thought would make the most sense to trade, but he is untouchable behind inly deGrom.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Papelbon to Nats...makes them ever more unlikeable.

Genghis Khan

:lol Christ I can't believe that bastard is back with the Phillies. It's funny, the Phillies decline basically began around the time they rehired him. I'm pretty sure it's a coincidence, but he's such a clown I can't be 100 percent sure.

D

Deuce

Apparently Neftali Lerez thinks he still plays for the Rangers. They got rocked and when he came in his own game, his first pitch goes yard.

Rev

Staff member
Apparently Neftali Lerez thinks he still plays for the Rangers. They got rocked and when he came in his own game, his first pitch goes yard.
Thats a weird one.

He hasnt been the same since the World Series debacle and failed Starter attempt. We are doing pretty well without him as the Yanks have 15 on us tonight.

Carp

DCC 4Life
We need a CF in the worst way. Lagares needs TJ surgery and should not be playing. Saw some stuff about Cespedes being talked about...I guess we'd shift Granderson to CF. Very pleasedwith the 2 deals we made, but we have a real chance to take the division...Nats should have run away with it by now.

Top Bottom