MLB Chatter Thread

Carp

DCC 4Life
Dodgers Acquire Joel Peralta

By Steve Adams [November 20, 2014 at 11:32pm CST]

The Dodgers announced that they have acquired right-hander Joel Peralta and lefty Adam Liberatore from the Rays in exchange for right-handers Jose Dominguez and Greg Harris.

Peralta, 39 in March, has been a workhorse out of the Rays’ bullpen for the past four seasons, averaging 74 appearances and 67 innings per season while posting a 3.58 ERA with 9.8 K/9 and 2.8 BB/9 in 269 1/3 innings. Peralta is an extreme fly-ball pitcher, with a ground-ball rate just north of 31 percent in his career, but the pitcher-friendly Dodger Stadium should mitigate some of that concern.

The veteran Peralta gives the Dodgers a much-needed bullpen upgrade at a very reasonable financial cost. He’s due just $2.5MM in 2015 and has club options for 2016 and 2017 at the same rate — neither of which has a buyout attached. There’s an obvious connection between the Dodgers and Peralta, as former Rays GM Andrew Friedman recently jumped ship to become the president of baseball operations with Los Angeles. Friedman no doubt thinks highly of both Peralta and Liberatore.

Peralta struggled, to some extent, in 2014, posting a 4.41 ERA — his worst mark since an ugly 2009 season with the Rockies. However, he still managed to strike out 10.5 hitters per nine innings and showed the best control he has displayed in recent years, walking just 2.1 batters per nine. Peralta’s typically low BABIP spiked to .307 this past season and he allowed homers at a slightly higher clip than usual; those factors are the likely reasoning behind his increased ERA. However, metrics such as FIP (3.40) and SIERA (2.54) feel that Peralta was much better than his earned run average would indicate.

The 27-year-old Liberatore was lights out in Triple-A this past season, notching a 1.66 ERA with 11.9 K/9 against just 2.1 BB/9 in 65 innings of relief work. He was highly effective against both right- and left-handed hitters, holding each to an OPS south of .500.

Dominguez, 24, has received a brief taste of Major League action in each of the past two seasons with L.A., allowing 10 runs in 14 2/3 innings with a 12-to-6 K/BB ratio. He’s shown a propensity for strikeouts in the minors, however, averaging 10 punchouts per nine innings for his career. Dominguez struggled in the lower levels but has posted a 2.22 ERA in 24 1/3 Double-A innings and a 2.61 ERA in 41 1/1 Triple-A innings. Baseball America ranked him 11th among Dodgers prospects last offseason, calling him a “pure power arm” whose fastball sits 97-100 mph and can touch 102. However, BA noted his erratic command and a 50-game suspension for PED use on his minor league track record in their scouting report. MLB.com ranked him 13th among Dodgers prospects midseason, also praising his fastball but noting that his slider is better known for its velocity than its bite at this time.

The Dodgers selected Harris, 20, in the 17th round of the 2013 draft, and he posted nice strikeout numbers in Class A this season. Harris pitched to a 4.45 ERA as a 19-year-old in the Midwest League, whiffing 92 hitters against 28 walks in 87 innings of work. Fangraphs’ Kiley McDaniel tweets that he’s heard good things about the velocity of both pitchers acquired by the Rays in this deal, with Dominguez having been clocked as high as 103 mph and Harris sitting in the mid 90s as a starter.

D

Deuce

That'll work. We have a surplus on lefty bullpen arms in the minors so using them on high velocity arms is nice.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Padres, Braves Emerging As Yasmany Tomas Favorites

By Steve Adams [November 21, 2014 at 8:07am CST]

Yesterday, the Braves reportedly became a late entrant in the Yasmany Tomas sweepstakes, while other reports indicated that the Phillies may be backing off due to growing concerns over his glove and conditioning. Tomas is reportedly a bit restless and becoming anxious to sign, though those close to him are urging him to express patience.

That sums up the majority of yesterday’s Tomas rumors, and we’ll keep track of Friday’s rumors pertaining to the 24-year-old Cuban slugger in this post…

•Not only are the Braves in the mix for Tomas, writes MLB.com’s Jesse Sanchez, they’re emerging as one of the two favorites alongside the Padres. Top officials from Atlanta and San Diego will meet with Tomas in the Dominican Republic this weekend, Sanchez hears. However, the signing process may not wrap up soon and could extend into the Winter Meetings, as Sanchez writes that his camp is considering attending the event, which will be held in the Padres’ home city of San Diego. Sanchez notes that Tomas is still believed to be seeking five to seven years with an average annual value of $15MM+, but his camp has begun to warm to the idea of a Yoenis Cespedes-like shorter term deal at a higher AAV, which would allow him to hit free agency sooner than the oft-mentioned five- to seven-year contract.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Surprises me that two teams that don't usually hand out big contracts are the leaders for this guy.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Rangers talking to the Braves about Upton. Justin not BJ, [MENTION=6]1bigfan13[/MENTION]

They have a thing for Justin I guess.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Rangers talking to the Braves about Upton. Justin not BJ, [MENTION=6]1bigfan13[/MENTION]

They have a thing for Justin I guess.
Why do you feel the need to tease me?

What have I ever done to you?

Carp

DCC 4Life
Some reports out there that the Red Sox signed Sandoval for 5/100.

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Some reports out there that the Red Sox signed Sandoval for 5/100.
Geez. Guess the Red Sox can never say anything about the Yankees buying rings.

D

Deuce

Geez. Guess the Red Sox can never say anything about the Yankees buying rings.
They haven't been able to make that claim for some time. I just hope this haul turns out as badly as there last one.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Sandoval is an alltimer of a post season player, but his regular season numbers do not merit that kind of deal. Too much for a fat guy.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Sandoval is an alltimer of a post season player, but his regular season numbers do not merit that kind of deal. Too much for a fat guy.
Yea, it's not a great signing but it will help. This coupled with Ramirez returning to the organization is a big boost.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
I wouldn't be surprised to see Boston move Bogaerts to the NYM for starting pitching. They might pursue someone like Cole Hamels instead but he is pretty expensive and they're dropping a lot of money on Hanley and Panda (and maybe still Lester), so they might try to obtain a talented, young starting pitcher who isn't too expensive yet.

Last edited:

Carp

DCC 4Life
I wouldn't be surprised to see Boston move Bogaerts to the NYM for starting pitching. They might pursue someone like Cole Hamels instead but he is pretty expensive and they're dropping a lot of money on Hanley and Panda (and maybe still Lester), so they might try to obtain a talented, young starting pitcher who isn't too expensive yet.
Niese is affordable and a solid 3-4 guy.

Carp

DCC 4Life
The thing is...I am fine with Flores at SS. Not a great defender, but he should hit 250 with 15 HRs...solid numbers.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Niese is affordable and a solid 3-4 guy.
I read that the Mets have been pretty disappointed in Niese's trade value. Apparently they just aren't getting the kind of offers they expected. There was a quote from the every popular "unnamed exec" from a team that had some interest in dealing for him that referenced his injury history damaging his value, despite him having a team-friendly contract.

I don't think there is any question that they could move him. He's affordable and a pretty solid starter, but it doesn't sound like teams will be happy with him as a trade centerpiece if a top prospect is going to the Mets (i.e., Bogaerts).

Also, I don't think the Mets front office shares your feelings bout Flores as their starting SS. Seems like they're exploring every possible option out there in order to try and upgrade the position. It sounds like he just isn't good enough on defense to even stick at the position (again, just going by what I've read).

Carp

DCC 4Life
I read that the Mets have been pretty disappointed in Niese's trade value. Apparently they just aren't getting the kind of offers they expected. There was a quote from the every popular "unnamed exec" from a team that had some interest in dealing for him that referenced his injury history damaging his value, despite him having a team-friendly contract.

I don't think there is any question that they could move him. He's affordable and a pretty solid starter, but it doesn't sound like teams will be happy with him as a trade centerpiece if a top prospect is going to the Mets (i.e., Bogaerts).

Also, I don't think the Mets front office shares your feelings bout Flores as their starting SS. Seems like they're exploring every possible option out there in order to try and upgrade the position. It sounds like he just isn't good enough on defense to even stick at the position (again, just going by what I've read).
Niese has real value...pitched well in NY and would do well in a smaller market. As for Flores...Alderson likes him more as a 2B IMO...I think he'd move Murphy and play him there if he could find the right SS. The Lowrie and Drew's of this world do very little for me.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Niese has real value...pitched well in NY and would do well in a smaller market. As for Flores...Alderson likes him more as a 2B IMO...I think he'd move Murphy and play him there if he could find the right SS. The Lowrie and Drew's of this world do very little for me.
I'm sure they'll be able to move Niese, I just have my doubts that any team is going to accept him as the centerpiece if they're sending a top prospect back in return. Niese has value because he's a lefty, 28 years old, and has an affordable contract. However, he also owns a career ERA of 3.72, WHIP of 1.354, H/9 of 9.5, and K/9 of 7.2. Definitely a back of the rotation guy on a good staff.

I agree with you that I wouldn't be excited about the Lowries or Drews but I think someone like that or maybe a Brad Miller or Chris Owings is who you'd be looking at if a trade were to be built around Niese. The Cubs got one of the top prospects in all of baseball for Jeff Samardzija though so you never know.

Last edited:
Top Bottom