Mendez: Stephen Jones says Cowboys' improvement tied to defensive health and balance

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Stephen Jones says Cowboys' improvement tied to defensive health and balance on offense

Executive vice president Stephen Jones is putting his hopes for the Cowboys’ improvement in getting healthier and getting more balanced on offense to take pressure off Tony Romo.

“We’ve got to find the right balance,” Jones said Monday in a radio appearance on KRLD 105.3 FM “The Fan” as he talked about the Cowboys’ 49-17 loss at New Orleans. “We started off there running the ball good. Obviously, they’re picking their poison there. I think they’re thinking that the best thing they can do is put pressure on Tony, so we have to continue to figure out ways we can do better.”

Jones said the offense will have a better chance at improvement once the defense gets healthier. The Cowboys played without defensive tackle Jason Hatcher, cornerback Morris Claiborne and safety J.J. Wilcox. They lost linebackers Sean Lee and Justin Durant to hamstrings during the game.

Since training camp, they have lost defensive ends Anthony Spencer and Ben Bass and defensive tackles Tyrone Crawford and Jay Ratliff, who was released. None of those players will return this year.

“Starts with our health. We got to get healthy,” Jones said. “Then I think a lot of things can get better. I mean, obviously, the type of defense we’re playing right now puts a lot of pressure on the offense, and that probably to some degree gets you out of what you’re trying to do from an offensive standpoint, when you feel like you’ve got to score every time you touch the ball. I do think that’ll change.

“No excuses, but we were missing quite a few people in terms of our defense. I think if we can get everybody back healthy and playing solid, then I think things are going to get a lot better quickly.”

Jones said on offense, the Cowboys are relatively healthy, which makes it more frustrating.

“Other than the loss of Waters, we’ve got a pretty healthy group over there,” he said. “We have to get better. We have to get back to being more balanced and being solid.

Obviously, we didn’t help the situation on defense with our third-down efficiency and some of the things there that we struggled with. Like I said, you’ve got to give the Saints a lot of credit. They’re a tough team to beat in New Orleans. We knew it was going to be a tough game. But we certainly have to play better than what we did in terms of our showing that we did there.”

-- Carlos Mendez

They keep talking about balance on offense and then turning around and doing fuck all about it.

superpunk

Banned
We need balance on offense.

<run the ball on 3rd and 4 to start the game with a 3 and out>

Noone on this team knows what balance is apparently. Just kill me. I hate everything.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
I wonder how many other teams use injuries as an excuse?

I know the Patriots don't.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
Looks like the stupid DNA migrated over from Jerry to Stephen.

One of the massive issues with this team is the Jones' absolutely refusal to address the real issues that plaque this team.

Injuries haven't been the issue all season. This team was giving up shitloads of yards when the D was relatively healthy.

Next.

lostxn

DCC 4Life

It's easy to say, but we're fielding a group on defense that isn't even our 2nd string. These are street free agents. It's amazing every team doesn't do what NO did us. We have the worst injuries of any team in the league and worse than any Cowboys team in history that I can remember. Sunday we had our starting safety Church, DE - Ware (and he was injured), MLB (Carter), and CB (Carr) as our only healthy starters. Of those 4, Church had a hamstring and Ware had a quad injury and was clearly limited.

The injury bug bit us last year and it got Ryan fired. This year it's probably gonna get the whole coaching staff fired. Despite the fact that we installed a new defense without the requisite pieces.

The bottom line is it's a mess and we have wasted the remaining time we had with Romo, Witten and Ware. Those guys will never see a SB with this team. We have no cap room so filling our holes next year is going to be a challenge...

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard

One of the massive issues with this team is the Jones' absolutely refusal to address the real issues that plaque this team.

Injuries haven't been the issue all season. This team was giving up shitloads of yards when the D was relatively healthy.

Next.
Same as last year, blaming injuries when the defense sucked out of the starting gate.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
If Rob Ryan's defense had been able to stop the run in Seattle at the beginning of last year, or forced a clutch turnover ever, he'd probably still be here.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
If Rob Ryan's defense had been able to stop the run in Seattle at the beginning of last year, or forced a clutch turnover ever, he'd probably still be here.
All he had to do to save his job is stop the run in Washington. That is until Romo shit the bed of course.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
The Saints had like 6 defensive starters out, but they like kicked our ass and stuff.

UncleMilti

Staff member
The Saints had like 6 defensive starters out, but they like kicked our ass and stuff.
That's because the Saints had decent backups at those positions. They actually have a SB winning coach and a FO making sound decisions on personnel and drafting smart.

The Cowboys with Jerruh the draft expert and THE personnel man making the decisions? :laff

data

Forbes #1
That's because the Saints had decent backups at those positions. They actually have a SB winning coach and a FO making sound decisions on personnel and drafting smart.

The Cowboys with Jerruh the draft expert and THE personnel man making the decisions? :laff
When the Saints have 3 SBs, then you can start having some credibility about how to run a football team.

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
We need balance on offense.

<run the ball on 3rd and 4 to start the game with a 3 and out>

Noone on this team knows what balance is apparently. Just kill me. I hate everything.
There were definitely some curious decisions in this game.

That said, personnel-wise, there is no reason why the Saints should have held this offense down so effectively. Personnel-wise, we should have been able to move the ball almost at will on that defense.

Personnel-wise.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
Patriots keep piling up wins despite huge injuries.

I'm seeing a pattern here.

You can still win when you have a legit 100 million+ QB.

UncleMilti

Staff member

Genghis Khan

No question we've been hit hard by injuries. I remember back in August I suggested that the biggest problem on this team wasn't the offensive line, but rather a lack of depth in a lot of key areas. I got scoffed at for saying that, a little bit. And I'm not going to lie; it hurt. It hurt my feelings. I was a sad panda that day. I kicked a little dirt. I vowed that day to dedicate myself to fighting crime.

Shit, wrong story.

But yeah, I was right.

Regardless, even if you acknowledge that injuries are making it difficult for us to play defense, the offense is virtually injury free. Yet we scored 17, and 3 of those were gifted by a fumble deep in NO territory.

Had the offense shown up like it did againat Denver, and we lost because gave up 50, I'd feel much better about things. The. Defense is what it is, but the offense looked completely unprepared.

Genghis Khan

Next.
I'd counter by saying the defense was never actually relatively healthy. We lost Spencer, Crawford, Ratliff, and Bass before we even played a game.

Genghis Khan

Same as last year, blaming injuries when the defense sucked out of the starting gate.
The defense did not suck out of the starting gate last year, it was actually pretty good the first 4-6 weeks of the season.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
No question we've been hit hard by injuries. I remember back in August I suggested that the biggest problem on this team wasn't the offensive line, but rather a lack of depth in a lot of key areas. I got scoffed at for saying that, a little bit. And I'm not going to lie; it hurt. It hurt my feelings. I was a sad panda that day. I kicked a little dirt. I vowed that day to dedicate myself to fighting crime.

Shit, wrong story.

But yeah, I was right.

Regardless, even if you acknowledge that injuries are making it difficult for us to play defense, the offense is virtually injury free. Yet we scored 17, and 3 of those were gifted by a fumble deep in NO territory.

Had the offense shown up like it did againat Denver, and we lost because gave up 50, I'd feel much better about things. The. Defense is what it is, but the offense looked completely unprepared.
Pretty sure I agreed with you back then. I'm almost positive I remember doing some shoulder crying with you, as a matter of fact.

Top Bottom