Mendez: Jerry Jones says Romo is creative like Sean Payton

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jerry Jones says Cowboys giving Romo more freedom because he is creative like Sean Payton

Jerry Jones said one reason the Cowboys wanted to give Tony Romo more freedom on the field is because he has a mind like Sean Payton.

“I’d say that Tony has some of the kind of skill that you might see in a Sean Payton,” the Cowboys owner said Tuesday morning on his radio show on KRLD 105.3 The Fan. “You get a guy that just might onside-kick the ball in the Super Bowl. … There’s a little bit of that, and whether that’s the risk-taking aspect – it is – but it’s also just the flair for being able to see it and be creative out there.”

Jones said former coach Bill Parcells encouraged him to let Romo’s creative juices flow on the field.

“He has always had a real appreciation for Romo’s approach and his intellect, relative to play-calling, relative to seeing and understanding the game,” Jones said. “And he’s unique in that way.”

Payton was the quarterbacks coach and passing game coordinator under Parcells in Dallas for Romo’s first three years with the Cowboys, although Romo did not play during that time. Payton and Romo both attended Eastern Illinois, and Payton was instrumental in getting Romo to Dallas.

“So where are we going with this?” Jones said. “Where we’re going is that, in visiting with Bill, he thought it was something we really ought to maybe take advantage of – try and take advantage of – is Tony’s ability to see the field, call the plays and make more decisions out there. We were going in that direction, obviously, as had been well reported. But Bill had positive thoughts about it as well.”

-- Carlos Mendez

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Tony Romo doesn't see coaching in his future, even though Jerry Jones says QB has the mind of one

Tony Romo might think like a coach, but he insists coaching is not in his future.

"I couldn’t imagine coaching," Romo said. "Those guys work incredibly hard. To me, it’s such an incredibly fun grind as a quarterback. I don’t ever envision not playing right now, so I can’t imagine ever thinking about it in any different way than playing the game."

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said earlier Tuesday on his radio show that Romo has a mind like Sean Payton, which is a reason the Cowboys are comfortable giving Romo a bigger hand in the offense this season. Payton served as a Cowboys' assistant from 2003-05 before becoming the Saints head coach. Romo signed with the Cowboys as a college free agent in 2003.

"I think more than anything you just kind of get to the point where you understand the game at a certain level," Romo said when told of Jones' comments. "For me, I think sometimes I think about the game very detailed. Little things matter tremendously as far as the outcome of plays – the releases, the differing things as far as where you want people on certain plays at what depth. And a lot of good coaches do that stuff. I just think you see it that way a little bit more when you get older."

Romo played 10 series this preseason. He completed 26 of 36 passes for 367 yards with two touchdowns and no interceptions and a 123.3 passer rating.

"You know, it’s not just about preseason," Romo said. "I feel like training camp is a great analyzer, you could say, about what you have a chance to become and about the things that you’re doing well and not. To me, it’s been a good training camp all the way around. I think we’ve done some things that I feel very good about, and I think we can continue to build on going into the season and get better."

-- Charean Williams

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
That MFer Jerry was in rare salesman form today...from the "amazing" comment to Free to comparing Romo's mind to Sean Payton's.

It is funny he didn't prop Jason Garrett a bit and even insulted him a little with this comment.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Notice how he's always referring to other coaches advice. Gotta sting for Garrett.

Tony D

DCC 4Life
While I don't agree with Jerry on this none of you were huge Payton fans when he was here so zip it. None.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
While I don't agree with Jerry on this none of you were huge Payton fans when he was here so zip it. None.
Several times I said back then that a big problem with the offense was having the coaching split three ways between Bill and 2 coordinators. If Infallible Bill had handed the offense off to Payton, the team could have done a lot more.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Please. You are over exaggerating. And you don't even have archives to prove it. So you zip it.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Jerry Jones says Cowboys giving Romo more freedom because he is creative like Sean Payton

Jerry Jones said one reason the Cowboys wanted to give Tony Romo more freedom on the field is because he has a mind like Sean Payton.

“I’d say that Tony has some of the kind of skill that you might see in a Sean Payton,” the Cowboys owner said Tuesday morning on his radio show on KRLD 105.3 The Fan. “You get a guy that just might onside-kick the ball in the Super Bowl. … There’s a little bit of that, and whether that’s the risk-taking aspect – it is – but it’s also just the flair for being able to see it and be creative out there.”

Jones said former coach Bill Parcells encouraged him to let Romo’s creative juices flow on the field.

“He has always had a real appreciation for Romo’s approach and his intellect, relative to play-calling, relative to seeing and understanding the game,” Jones said. “And he’s unique in that way.”

Payton was the quarterbacks coach and passing game coordinator under Parcells in Dallas for Romo’s first three years with the Cowboys, although Romo did not play during that time. Payton and Romo both attended Eastern Illinois, and Payton was instrumental in getting Romo to Dallas.

“So where are we going with this?” Jones said. “Where we’re going is that, in visiting with Bill, he thought it was something we really ought to maybe take advantage of – try and take advantage of – is Tony’s ability to see the field, call the plays and make more decisions out there. We were going in that direction, obviously, as had been well reported. But Bill had positive thoughts about it as well.”

-- Carlos Mendez
would love to know how that conversation went, imagining something like
Jerry:"so Bill how the hell do we fix the offense?"
Bill:"get Jason as far away from playcalling as possible, let Romo call his own plays before you let JG call them again"

BipolarFuk

Demoted
He's right. No one thought a fuck about Sean Payton until he won the Super Bowl. Amazing what winning will do. You just don't have a chance to succeed here with the way things are structured with a delusional used car salesman at the top and his dipshit son waiting in the wings probably praying every night for his deddy to die.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
He's right. No one thought a fuck about Sean Payton until he won the Super Bowl. Amazing what winning will do. You just don't have a chance to succeed here with the way things are structured with a delusional used car salesman at the top and his dipshit son waiting in the wings probably praying every night for his deddy to die.
And there is very little to guarantee Payton would have been any more successful than Fat Wade even if he did stick around to be his heir.

The same broken system would be in place. And it will be in place until hopefully some member of the Jones family, several generations from now, decides to sell. Stephen is a chip off the old block. It is likely Charlotte Jones is. Spaulding Jones is too since his little shitstain ass was in the draft room.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
That's not entirely true. It's not like Payton did that much better with the Giants. He was stripped of his play calling duties there before coming to Dallas. Even still when he came to Dallas he came with the boy wonder tag. I remember defending him against a bunch of you fags on this board though.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
That's definitely bullshit. Not surprising considering it's you. We all knew for sure what was up with Sean Payton when his team destroyed us in 2006, 42-17.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
That's not entirely true. It's not like Payton did that much better with the Giants. He was stripped of his play calling duties there before coming to Dallas. Even still when he came to Dallas he came with the boy wonder tag. I remember defending him against a bunch of you fags on this board though.
Parcells was over Payton big time when he was here. So I don't know what you were defending, but it probably isn't the Sean Payton you see right now.

Tony D

DCC 4Life
Ha, none of you gave two shats about Payton when he was here. None of you said he would go on to be a great head coach. You were all underwhelmed when Parcells hired him after Coughlin demoted him. And when he left to become head coach of the Saints you were all kind of surprised. Trust me, I remember. F the archives. Admit you were wrong, just once.

Top Bottom