Mendez: George Selvie credits motivator Marinelli for unlocking something in him

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
George Selvie credits motivator Marinelli for unlocking something in him

Asked what he has learned from defensive line coach Rod Marinelli in his short time with the Cowboys, George Selvie was speechless.

“Oh, man. I can’t start on what I’ve learned from him,” he said. “He’s a great coach. He knows the game, and he’s passionate about it. … He teaches us a lot of stuff, and he knows football.”

Selvie, now in charge at right defensive end with Anthony Spencer's season over, said he has also learned something about motivation from Marinelli. The coach put signs on each of the defensive linemen’s lockers, and he has given each player a nickname. For Selvie, it is “Bricklayer.”

“Bricklayer, I’m going to introduce you to the football,” Selvie said. “Bricklayer, go lay some bricks today.”

Coach Jason Garrett said Marinelli is both an outstanding teacher and motivator.

“He helps them be successful by how he teaches them technically, how he teaches them physically, how he teaches them emotionally,” Garrett said. “He's done a fantastic job throughout his career. He's done a fantastic job since he's been with the Cowboys.”

Selvie, on his fourth team in four years, said Marinelli may have unlocked something in him.

“I think he has. He’s a great coach, a great motivator, and having a coach who believes in you is a big deal,” Selvie said.

-- Carlos Mendez

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I like the way Marinelli seems to be keeping each of his lineman personally motivated.

Some say professional athletes shouldn't need prodding, but Ware has shown that even the elite can benefit from this approach. Close but no cigar.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
I like the way Marinelli seems to be keeping each of his lineman personally motivated.

Some say professional athletes shouldn't need prodding, but Ware has shown that even the elite can benefit from this approach. Close but no cigar.
Yup, I was a big fan of him saying that to Ware. And as much as people say that stuff about not needing motivation or whatever, the truth is that they do need it.

I'm willing to bet that Ware hasn't been pused by anyone since Parcells, so it's nice to see a coach in here that isn't always saying that everyone is doing a great job all of the time.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
I wonder how often they are told that they just need to get better.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Makes you wonder how in the hell he ever kept having the seasons he did, huh.
Nope.

He's a great player and I've never argued otherwise. You know what my gripe was.

But the point is, players need to be pushed all the time even if they're great. You don't want complacency to build and that's what happened under Wade. But it didn't really change with Rob Ryan either.

While Wade was an apologist, Ryan always said he had the best players at every position. He had the best defense, etc, even though they were performing poorly.

So it was great to see Monte dismiss the 6 turnovers because he was more concerned about the 400 yards we gave up just like it's great to see Marinelli is pushing the best player on this defense regardless of his reputation.

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
It's nice to have some coaches with a personality as opposed to robotic Garrett. Ryan definitely had personality but you felt like it was over the top at times.

E_D_Guapo

Brand New Member
Selvie, now in charge at right defensive end with Anthony Spencer's season over, said he has also learned something about motivation from Marinelli. The coach put signs on each of the defensive linemen’s lockers, and he has given each player a nickname. For Selvie, it is “Bricklayer.”

“Bricklayer, I’m going to introduce you to the football,” Selvie said. “Bricklayer, go lay some bricks today.”
Somewhere tears are welling in the eyes of a player from Marinelli's past because "Coach used to call me Bricklayer."

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
If you combine Golden Cock with Bricklayer you get Goldbrick. That ain't good.

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
Nope.

He's a great player and I've never argued otherwise. You know what my gripe was.

But the point is, players need to be pushed all the time even if they're great. You don't want complacency to build and that's what happened under Wade. But it didn't really change with Rob Ryan either.

While Wade was an apologist, Ryan always said he had the best players at every position. He had the best defense, etc, even though they were performing poorly.

So it was great to see Monte dismiss the 6 turnovers because he was more concerned about the 400 yards we gave up just like it's great to see Marinelli is pushing the best player on this defense regardless of his reputation.
That's what makes a team better. Acknowledging the positives, but also recognizing and continually working to correct the negatives. There are negatives in every game, so a smart coach will always look for ways to make the team better and to continually strive to eliminate those mistakes. That's what makes Belichick so dangerous as a coach. He never lets his players rest on their laurels. Even if they win 52-0, he'll find something that the team needs to work on in order to keep them motivated and hungry. It's about damn time that we have a staff which does the same thing.

Top Bottom