Mendez: Claiborne, healthy again, says he accepts his role in nickel situations

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Claiborne, healthy again, says he accepts his role in nickel situations with Scandrick 'playing great'

Morris Claiborne, ready to play again after two weeks on the sideline because of a hamstring injury, said he accepts his role as the third corner now that Orlando Scandrick has become the starter.

“I accept everything that comes to be for the betterment of the team,” Claiborne said. “Scandrick has been playing great this year. Base snaps or nickel snaps, we really think of it as we are both starting corners because we are both in the game the whole game. It’s not much base being played.”

With Victor Cruz lined up in the slot, Scandrick is expected to spend much of his time in the slot this week with the Cowboys playing a lot of nickel.

Claiborne said his shoulder has gotten much stronger, and he does not even notice the brace during practice.

“I went out this week with the strap on. I didn’t even notice it,” he said. “I have gotten a lot stronger with it. Hopefully I won’t worry about it during the game.”

Claiborne said he had a good week.

“The first day was kind of slow,” he said. “Slowly picked it up. I had some good practices.”

Claiborne said he is as healthy as ever now.

“I feel better than I did coming into the beginning of the year,” he said. “I’m anxious to get back out there with my teammates, help them make plays and win ballgames.”

-- Carlos Mendez

Cotton

Staff member
Morris Claiborne anxious for return
November, 22, 2013

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas -- Cornerback Morris Claiborne will play against the New York Giants on Sunday after missing the past two games with a hamstring injury. Claiborne has dealt with health issues in 2013 from a separated shoulder, where it didn't cost him any games, to the hamstring problems of late.

Claiborne is as healthy as possible now, and practiced this week without using a shoulder harness for the first time since injuring his shoulder back in September.

"I feel better now than I did in the beginning of the year," Claiborne said after Friday's practice. "Just anxious to get back out there with my teammates try to go out and make plays and help them win games."

With Claiborne dealing with his shoulder injuries, it allowed Orlando Scandrick to take over as the starting outside cornerback. Claiborne moved to the nickle defense, but against the Giants this Sunday, where Victor Cruz is slated to lineup in the slot, Scandrick will move back there.

"I accept everything that comes to me for the betterment of the team," Claiborne said. "Scandrick has been playing great this year. Base snaps and nickel snaps we really think of it as we’re both starting corners. We're both in the game, the whole game. It’s not much base being played."

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
THis sucks, I want my 1st rounder to say something like " He's earned the spot for now, but I'll get it back asap now that I'm healthy!" Not this meek acceptance of being bumped.

Cotton

Staff member
Claiborne Feels Healthier Now Than At Start Of Year
Posted 41 minutes ago

Rowan Kavner
DallasCowboys.com Staff Writer

IRVING, Texas – Morris Claiborne’s feeling healthier than he has all year.

A hamstring injury kept Claiborne out the last two games while knee and shoulder injuries limited him earlier in the year, but he said now in Week 12 all his previous injuries feel fine.

“I feel better now than I did in the beginning of the year, coming into the beginning of the year,” Claiborne said. “Just anxious to get back out there with my teammates and try to go out there and make plays to help us win ballgames.”

Claiborne’s been listed as a limited practice participant all week with the hamstring injury, but he’s probable for this weekend’s game. He said the first day he returned to practice was a somewhat slow transition, but he’s picked up his play and feels ready to go this weekend in the frigid temperatures against New York.

The Cowboys got a taste of that chilly weather with a Friday practice in the 30s. Claiborne thought that temperature would be tough on his hamstring, but he didn’t have any problems.

“I just tried to loosen up a little bit, as much as I can today before I went out,” he said. “I came in early to get a lot of treatment, get a lot of heat on it. It felt pretty good after that.”

He believes it’ll feel similarly this weekend and said he’ll likely take the early bus to the game to make sure he gets plenty loose. In addition, the shoulder that he dislocated in the first matchup this year with the Giants is back near full strength.

“I went out this week without the strap on,” Claiborne said. “I didn’t even notice I didn’t have it on. I got a lot stronger with it. Hopefully I won’t have to wear it in the game.”

Safety Barry Church hasn’t seen anything in practice to discredit Claiborne’s comments about his health.

“He’s looked great,” Church said. “There’s no gimp in his stride. He isn’t hitching or nothing like that, and he’s been out there playing great in one-on-ones, competing really well.”

Claiborne has one interception, six passes defended and a fumble recovery this year. His return means the Cowboys can also shift Orlando Scandrick inside on the nickel package. Claiborne said he accepts that Scandrick is the starting corner in the base package, but he feels like both players are starters considering how often the Cowboys are in the nickel package.

Going against Victor Cruz, Hakeem Nicks and Rueben Randle this weekend means a lot more nickel is likely to come. Claiborne feels healthy enough to return and make a difference, even if he doesn’t prefer the 30-degree temperature that’s likely to come.

“I don’t like the cold and I don’t like it when it’s hot,” Claiborne said. “I’ve been doing it for a long time, though, so I’ve just got to go out and play.”

dallas0593

Brand New Member
THis sucks, I want my 1st rounder to say something like " He's earned the spot for now, but I'll get it back asap now that I'm healthy!" Not this meek acceptance of being bumped.
I just don't see him as that type of player. He is more like "I'll take whatever they give me cause i've been playing like shit and I really don't have the confidence in myself to do otherwise."

Top Bottom