McGinn Profiles - 2023 Draft Class (plus Luepke)

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I was saving this for the deadest time of the offseason and here we are. The numbers are their position rankings according to McGinn's polling, not where we took them, for the most part I think the write-up's are accurate except some of the Mazi stuff towards the end seems over the top.

I question his motor somewhat but he's also 330 lbs and those guys often don't look like they're playing hard even when they are. The last guy saying stuff like "he's stiff" and "I don't think he's a good athlete" makes me think the scout doesn't know how to evaluate a DT his size.

Fehoko, Scott and Brooks weren't listed.

4. MAZI SMITH, Michigan (6-3, 319, no 40, 2): Labeled as “the best true nose in the draft” by one scout. Made just three tackles in 2019-’20 before starting all 28 games in 2021-’22. “Very gifted athlete-size combination,” a second scout said. “Doesn’t necessarily play as hard as he should all the time. He’ll go second round because those big bodies with that athleticism are nearly impossible to find. Obviously, the character concerns could play into that. Playing (the run) requires a lot of discipline and toughness and grit. I don’t think he’s wired that way. Just going off the physical component … well then, absolutely. But that’s when people make mistakes.” Avoided jail time in January. Sentenced to 12 months on probation for a misdemeanor weapons charge. “The gun issue was a stupid thing on his part that he let happen,” said a third scout. “He had already applied for his damn (gun) permit.” Finished with 88 tackles (six for loss) and one-half sack. “Disruptive player,” said a fourth scout. “My concerns would be his motor and strain consistently throughout the game. He’s got a lot of physical tools to play nose on early downs. He can collapse the pocket, but I don’t know if he can burst and close on a guy. But with those noses, shit, if you can get anything in the pass game that’s a plus.” Arms were 33 ¾, hands were 9 ¾. “I wasn’t impressed,” a fifth scout said. “He’s stiff. He doesn’t shed blockers or move to the ball very well. I thought his instincts and his natural strength and explosion were poor for an inside guy. He is not a good football player and I don’t think he’s a good athlete. He’s just a bull in a china shop. Those guys get stalled easy up here. He’s really wide. He just doesn’t play with his arms or his elbows in tight.” Wonderlic of 22. From Grand Rapids, Mich.

6. LUKE SCHOONMAKER, Michigan (6-5, 252, 4.62, 2-3): Fifth-year senior waited until his fourth year to get on the field. “Similar to Mayer but maybe a notch below,” said one scout. “Really a solid, well-rounded player. Does everything well. More of a No. 2 tight end ideally but he could certainly be a No. 1 for some teams.” Injured both shoulders in 2022 and then pulled up lame at pro day (plantar fasciitis). “Big-body blocking tight end,” another scout said. “Uses his size and instincts well to get open in the passing game. Wish he was more productive there. He’s a No. 3 tight end with a No. 2 ceiling.” Finished with 54 receptions (35 in ’22) for 637 (11.8) and seven TDs. “Solid in everything,” a third scout said. “Good enough athlete. Got decent movement. Got a little quickness to his routes. Good hands when he’s free. Not a playmaker by any stretch with run after the catch. One of those guys, ‘This is my route, I’m open, I’m going to catch it, good to go.’ He gave block effort. Better on the edges than as an in-line guy, but he’ll try. He’ll stick his face in there. He’ll be a solid starter.” From Hamden, Conn.

4. DeMARVION OVERSHOWN, Texas (6-2 ½, 231, 4.56, 2): Backup safety in 2018-’19 before starting 31 of 33 games at strongside LB in a 4-3 defense. “Former safety growing into the position,” one scout said. “Physical enough to handle the rigors of inside linebacker. Should be on the field for all three downs. Will do nothing but develop and get better. He’s close (to a green dot).” Finished with 249 tackles (30 ½ for loss), nine sacks and 20 passes defensed. “You want to take a chance on a guy, this guy is fast and he is tough and he plays his ass off,” said a second scout. “For a linebacker, that’s all you need. He was a pleasant surprise. He figures it out. You talk about flying to the ball, range, cover. Kind of Simpsonesque; cut from the same cloth as him.” Posted 23 on the Wonderlic. “Not very smart, can’t make calls,” a third scout said. “Doesn’t take on blocks well. He’s a see-ball, get-ball (player) or special teamer. His deal is speed, which you can’t coach. More of a finesse guy. But he can fly. It’d be hard for me to take him in the first three rounds but he might go there because he runs fast.” From Arp, Texas.

10. ASIM RICHARDS, North Carolina (6-4, 307, 5.18, 4): Three-year starter at LT. “I projected him to guard,” said one scout. “He’s just a tough guy. Nasty, strong, tough and a good athlete. Fourth round, maybe.” His 34-inch arms were the longest among the top 15 guards. His 13 reps on the bench were the fewest. “He’s got to improve his upper-body power,” said one scout. “He came in as a basketball player. Had never been to a weight room until he got to North Carolina. They begged him to come back (for 2023) but he didn’t. Everything is in front of him, but he has to get it done in the weight room.” From Philadelphia. “Probably should have gone back to school,” said a third scout. “He definitely looks and moves like he can play guard. They tried to sell him to come back to school so he’d play center. I’d take him in the fourth all day. I think he can play all five positions. He’s going to end up starting.”

Deuce Vaughn, RB, Kansas State (unranked, listed as an "unsung hero"): Played just three seasons but still joined Darren Sproles and Tyler Lockett as the only Wildcats to surpass 5,000 all-purpose yards. Just 5-5, he weighed 179 at the combine and then ran a disappointing 4.60 at pro day. “He’s 5-5 but he is an explosive little shit,” said one scout. “Man, this kid is so quick and tough and fast. Before you know it, he’ll be one of those guys that plays 10 years and has a pretty dang good career.”

1. HUNTER LUEPKE, North Dakota State (6-1, 234, 4.60, 5-6): Played RB in a rotation for the Bison but projects to FB. “He went 49-0 wrestling (in high school),” one scout said. “Not a mismatch in the passing game but he’ll compete and play physical with or without the ball. I wouldn’t draft him, but for the teams that need a fullback he could get by.” Scored 25 on the Wonderlic and posted a vertical jump of 36 ½. “I don’t see him like a down-and-dirty, knock-your-head-off fullback,” said a second scout. “But he’s got really good hands, runs well and blocks well enough. He’s half tight end, half fullback, half slot receiver.” Finished with 274 carries for 1,665 (6.1) and 24 TDs to go with 28 receptions and nine TDs. “He was, hands down, the best fullback in this class,” a third scout said. “He’s probably the closest thing to a Pro Bowl fullback that’s come out in a few years. You can throw it to him. He’ll be a really valuable piece for somebody.” From Spencer, Wis.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner

shoop

Semi-contributing member
I will wait and see but I am afraid that he is spot on with Schoonmaker. We took a guy who had two shoulder issues and a foot issue but passed on Darnell Washington for injury concerns. I’d have preferred to roll the dice on Washington personally.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
That is concerning that Schoonmun had the plantar fasciitis back at his pro day and it's still bothering him.

p1_

DCC 4Life
I will wait and see but I am afraid that he is spot on with Schoonmaker. We took a guy who had two shoulder issues and a foot issue but passed on Darnell Washington for injury concerns. I’d have preferred to roll the dice on Washington personally.
A guy that’s seen as a #2 , not a starter. Just as most have felt about a reach.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
4. MAZI SMITH, Michigan (6-3, 319, no 40, 2): Labeled as “the best true nose in the draft” by one scout. Made just three tackles in 2019-’20 before starting all 28 games in 2021-’22. “Very gifted athlete-size combination,” a second scout said. “Doesn’t necessarily play as hard as he should all the time. He’ll go second round because those big bodies with that athleticism are nearly impossible to find. Obviously, the character concerns could play into that. Playing (the run) requires a lot of discipline and toughness and grit. I don’t think he’s wired that way. Just going off the physical component … well then, absolutely. But that’s when people make mistakes.” Avoided jail time in January. Sentenced to 12 months on probation for a misdemeanor weapons charge. “The gun issue was a stupid thing on his part that he let happen,” said a third scout. “He had already applied for his damn (gun) permit.” Finished with 88 tackles (six for loss) and one-half sack. “Disruptive player,” said a fourth scout. “My concerns would be his motor and strain consistently throughout the game. He’s got a lot of physical tools to play nose on early downs. He can collapse the pocket, but I don’t know if he can burst and close on a guy. But with those noses, shit, if you can get anything in the pass game that’s a plus.” Arms were 33 ¾, hands were 9 ¾. “I wasn’t impressed,” a fifth scout said. “He’s stiff. He doesn’t shed blockers or move to the ball very well. I thought his instincts and his natural strength and explosion were poor for an inside guy. He is not a good football player and I don’t think he’s a good athlete. He’s just a bull in a china shop. Those guys get stalled easy up here. He’s really wide. He just doesn’t play with his arms or his elbows in tight.” Wonderlic of 22. From Grand Rapids, Mich.
I don't think you can totally dismiss some of they say here about Smith. I have watched most of his games from last season and there are too many times he is just behind the action and washed out. His power would show in short yardage, but there are times he was stalemated and not by the best guards or centers around. I kept waiting for him to make plays and unless it was a tight yardage situation, I didn't see much of an impact. Perhaps he wasn't asked to rush up the field much, but it is noticeable.

• Props
Reactions: p1_

Simpleton

DCC 4Life
I don't think you can totally dismiss some of they say here about Smith. I have watched most of his games from last season and there are too many times he is just behind the action and washed out. His power would show in short yardage, but there are times he was stalemated and not by the best guards or centers around. I kept waiting for him to make plays and unless it was a tight yardage situation, I didn't see much of an impact. Perhaps he wasn't asked to rush up the field much, but it is noticeable.
I think his motor can run a bit cold at times but I never thought it was anything egregious, probably more just the fact that he's 330 lbs and was playing 40-50 snaps a game.

In terms of him getting stalemated I think that could be due to very different reasons, in the run game it likely looks like that way because he was 2-gapping like 90% of the time, when pass-rushing it's also somewhat due to the 2-gapping but also because he's extremely raw in terms of his hand use and pass rush plan. And yea, he was very rarely ever asked to simply get upfield, that's the crux of all the conversation around the Michigan scheme, his stance/alignment and so forth.

The bottom line is that I saw more pass-rush pressure from him than I expected in the games I watched (Penn St., Iowa, Ohio St., TCU, Maryland) but it was often simply crude power and pushing the guy in front of him back into the QB's lap, that isn't going to work even half the time even if you're going up against guys less talented/smaller than you.

I'm not worried about him in the run game, he'll probably have to adjust to the power of the NFL but he's going to be a good run defender one way or the other. How he develops as a pass rusher will determine whether he's simply a good starter, albeit mostly as a 2-down guy, or a Pro Bowler.

p1_

DCC 4Life
TCU rushed for 263. Ouch.

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Does any player ever really go 100% the whole game anyway?

- Xavier Woods

• Haha
Reactions: p1_

Chocolate Lab

Mere Commoner
Really though, how many 330+ DTs don't have "questionable effort at times" in their bio? I can't really think of one.

Maybe it's just hard to play all-out every play at that size. But plenty still become very good NFL players.

ZeroClub

UFA
Mazi Smith had the best bench press performance among all defensive players at the NFL Combine and tied for second overall with two other players:
38 reps — Andrew Vorhees (guard; USC)
34 reps — Anthony Bradford (guard; LSU)
34 reps — Jovaughn Gwyn (guard; South Carolina)
34 reps — Mazi Smith (interior d-line; Michigan)

I'm sure he needs to be coached up, but his strength is an undeniable asset and probably shows that he has competitive fire. He didn't get that strong through half-assed workouts. I don't have particularly high expectations for his rookie year, but if he can hold his own more often than not, make enough plays to look promising, and occasionally collapse the pocket, he'll help the defense.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Really though, how many 330+ DTs don't have "questionable effort at times" in their bio? I can't really think of one.

Maybe it's just hard to play all-out every play at that size. But plenty still become very good NFL players.
He has such a rare physique for that size and all the freakish qualities, I guess you expect more.

I just hope they got it right with his character. That is half the ballgame right there.

Top Bottom