McCain: Hillary Clinton vs. Rand Paul in 2016 would be ‘tough choice’

Smitty

DCC 4Life
This probably won’t do anything to stem the tide of “The Maverick Is Back” headlines. Sen. John McCain said in an interview published Wednesday in the New Republic that if the 2016 White House race boils down to Hillary Clinton vs. Rand Paul, he would face a “tough choice.”

In the wide-ranging question-and-answer session, McCain, the 2008 Republican presidential nominee, fiercely defended his choice of Sarah Palin to be his running mate, affirmed that President Barack Obama has grown in office, and criticized the Pentagon’s obvious reluctance to get more involved in Syria’s civil war.

So who would he vote for in 2016 if it came down to Kentucky’s junior Republican senator and the Democratic former secretary of state?

“It’s gonna be a tough choice,” McCain told the magazine with a laugh.

“Let me just clarify that,” McCain added quickly. “I think that Rand Paul represents a segment of the GOP, just like his father. And I think he is trying to expand that, intelligently, to make it larger.”

McCain — a foreign policy hawk who favors an assertive American role in world affairs — has clashed openly with the younger Paul, who warns against military intervention and has sharply criticized the national security state.

The Arizona Republican, who sits on the Senate’s Armed Services and Foreign Relations Committees, has frequently been sharply at odds with Obama on international affairs. So he does he think Clinton did as secretary of state?

“I think she did a fine job. She’s a rock star. She has, maybe not glamour, but certainly the aura of someone widely regarded throughout the world,” McCain said.

“I do think it is interesting that the issues where (Secretary of State) John Kerry is engaging is where Hillary Clinton did not engage in, that those decisions were left to the White House and the National Security Council,” he added, implicitly laying first-term foreign policy setbacks at the feet of the White House.

What about Palin? Does it bother him that the decision to pick her as his running mate in 2008 will weigh on his legacy?

"No, because I think historians will decide that facts are stubborn things," McCain replied, saying that his campaign got a boost in the polls and that the former Alaska governor "held her own" against then-Sen. Joe Biden.

"She did everything I ever wanted. She excited our base in a way I was unable to achieve," McCain said. "Not only do I not regret it, but I have probably not seen anyone in American life savaged like she was, particularly by the liberal left."

Smitty

DCC 4Life
This is how Republican homers know that McCain didn't deserve their vote.

They all keep saying, "Yeah, we'd love Ron Paul but we have to vote for the most conservative guy."

Problem is, McCain, as he basically admits here, agrees more with Hillary Clinton than he does with Ron and Rand Paul.

So you voted for a liberal when you voted for McCain... props.

The RINOs are really coming out against Rand Paul right now which is how you know he's legitimately in the running for a nomination. Chris Christie is engaged in a spat with him, now John McCain.

These are the people who should be purged from the party, not running it. These are the Bush-era Republicans who don't believe in small government. Divorce yourselves from them immediately, do not vote for them, do not support them. They need to be run out of their positions of power in the Republican party.

fortsbest

DCC 4Life
This should erase any doubts about this man as a conservative. Anyone who think that Hillary is a viable option and not a continuation of some of the policy we have now and claims to be a conservative or even Republican is a moron.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
These are the people who should be purged from the party, not running it. These are the Bush-era Republicans who don't believe in small government. Divorce yourselves from them immediately, do not vote for them, do not support them. They need to be run out of their positions of power in the Republican party.
Absolutely.

2233boys

Not So New Member
The whole problem with American Politics is the whole liberal/conservative bullshit. Each side tries to appeal to their bases by blindly adhering to an ideology trying to make it fit in every situation. The problem is that none of ideological paths can be strictly adhered to and do anything productive. The countries issues aren't black and white.

Last edited:

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
McCain is an idiot. Of course even an idiot is > Obama, but that's not saying much.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
This should erase any doubts about this man as a conservative. Anyone who think that Hillary is a viable option and not a continuation of some of the policy we have now and claims to be a conservative or even Republican is a moron.
I don't know of anyone who considered McCain a conservative.

Donpingon

DCC 4Life
I'd vote Republican if they'd come up with a single new policy over the past 20 years

Top Bottom