Marinelli new DC/Kiffin Ass. HC - Defense

D

Deuce

Now I am curious if we hire a new DL...not sure who is out there and available that has ties to Marinelli.
Broaddus has been asking for Lett to get the shot for some time. Says he plans to ask tomorrow.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Broaddus has been asking for Lett to get the shot for some time. Says he plans to ask tomorrow.
That would be great considering we should have some young DTs.

BipolarFuk

Demoted
The Cowboys named Scott Linehan the passing game coordinator and will take over the play-calling duties from Callahan, who handled the job in 2013. Callahan will continue to hold the offensive coordinator/offensive line title.
Sorry, but you're not the "offensive coordinator" when someone called the "passing game coordinator" is calling the plays.

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
Just when you think we can't be anymore of a circus....

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member

Carp

DCC 4Life
Marinelli did get the DL to play hard and he had shit out there. Hopefully that will translate to the entire D.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
It's kinda ridiculous, but this is a retirement package to let Kiffin hang around and continue to feel involved, since he "wants to keep coaching," while handing over the real authority to Marinelli.

Probably either because Jerry hates firing people or because Marinelli's loyalty to Kiffin wouldn't allow him to simply be axed and keep Marinelli too. Stupid either way.

But if the net effect is that Kiffin is a defensive figurehead resigned to eating nachos up in the press box and Marinelli is the real coordinator, I'm willing to give it a shot.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
because Marinelli's loyalty to Kiffin wouldn't allow him to simply be axed and keep Marinelli too.
This is exactly what I think happened and it isn't stupid at all. You get a guy who I think is potentially a top defensive coordinator in the NFL and all you have to do is keep around Kiffin as some sort of a consultant basically. Kiffin is a smart coach, no reason why his insights won't be helpful and you already are going to have to pay him. Might as well keep him around while upgrading the defensive coordinator position. People that don't like this move are just reaching to bitch in my opinion.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
This is exactly what I think happened and it isn't stupid at all. You get a guy who I think is potentially a top defensive coordinator in the NFL and all you have to do is keep around Kiffin as some sort of a consultant basically. Kiffin is a smart coach, no reason why his insights won't be helpful and you already are going to have to pay him. Might as well keep him around while upgrading the defensive coordinator position. People that don't like this move are just reaching to bitch in my opinion.
Well, I can see the frustration, because everything has to be out of step with how successful teams do it, in Dallas. Couple it with the weird Callahan situation and it just looks like another situation that makes no sense.

But at the end of the day, this move probably isn't the worst thing in the world.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
As a practical matter the right guys are coordinating the defense and doing the play calling. So what if Jones is paying out more than he needs to, the changes are what everyone wanted.

dallen

Senior Tech
I believe I called this a month ago

It's basically throwing shit against the wall to see if it sticks...Well this didn't work last year, but hey let's turn them around and see if it's better...blah blah!!

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
Lulz. NoDak cares about Kiffen

Top Bottom