Manziel rolling a dollar bill in Vegas?

Jon88

Banned
I never knew that testing was a once a year thing if you get busted for anything recreational you have huge issues.
I didn't either. It should be very easy to work around.

This idiot will probably get randomly tested throughout the year now.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I never knew that testing was a once a year thing if you get busted for anything recreational you have huge issues.
I don't know if that is actually accurate. Especially since the article later states that the league could have him tested again. Seems to me it would be odd that after a test the league couldn't test a player for another year.

D

Deuce

How do you know so much about how the Browns and the League offices operate? Are you a double-agent moderator?

Coke doesn't stay in your body long anyway, he could be clean by the time the league finds him.
If the pic surfaced that night or day after they'd get to him on time. Coke is 3 days, other stuff is 5+.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I didn't either. It should be very easy to work around.

This idiot will probably get randomly tested throughout the year now.
That is not how it works.

skidadl

El Presidente'
Staff member
That is not how it works.

I'm pretty sure there are rules and such in place.

Plus, I'm pretty sure that the browns would
Much rather want to talk to him vs. make him piss dirty. Think about it, why would they not rather try to work some things out first? The last think you wanta do is rock the boat with your money player.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
That's not how any of this works?
They can't just randomly test Manziel because of this.

They are only tested once per year. If Manziel has already done it, he's clear for a year.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I'm pretty sure there are rules and such in place.

Plus, I'm pretty sure that the browns would
Much rather want to talk to him vs. make him piss dirty. Think about it, why would they not rather try to work some things out first? The last think you wanta do is rock the boat with your money player.
I don't think it is up to the Browns. The CBA spells out exactly how the drug testing works. I don't think it is possible for the team to create another set of rules.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
They can't just randomly test Manziel because of this.

They are only tested once per year. If Manziel has already done it, he's clear for a year.
Not exactly...

For anabolic steroids and related substances: Upon employment—entering the league (predraft) or signing with a new team—you can be tested. During the offseason, you can be randomly tested up to six times. This includes free agents who don't have a team. To "opt out" of this testing, you have to be formally retired. During the preseason/season/postseason, 10 players can be randomly tested each week.

For the substances of abuse agreement, each player will be tested during the preseason. Any other testings happen upon agreement in the player's contract—which may be different for different players.

However, and this is where it gets tricky, once you test positively for any of the above substances, it's game over—effective immediately. That player needs to basically be ready to pee in any cup, any time, anywhere as mandated by the NFL's medical officers.

Pulled from this article if anyone is curious http://bleacherreport.com/articles/1875478-breaking-down-how-the-nfl-substance-abuse-policy-works

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I stand corrected. I swear I once heard that the reason why players that piss hot are so stupid was the rigid scheduling.

“An NFL club and a player may agree that such player will submit to unannounced Testing during the term of said player’s NFL Player Contract provided that the club has a reasonable basis for requesting such agreement. A Positive Test (as hereinafter defined) as a result of such Testing shall be reported to the Medical Director and shall result in the player’s entering Stage One of the Intervention Program. Once a player enters an Intervention Stage the number of Tests that a player will be required to take will be determined by the Medical Director or the Medical Advisor, as set forth herein – not by the terms of the player’s NFL Player Contract. Upon being dismissed from the Intervention Stages, a player’s NFL Player Contract will govern the number of Tests that he is subjected to. All such individually negotiated Testing shall be conducted under the direction of the Medical Advisor and not the club. In cases of individually negotiated Testing, the Medical Advisor and other Interested Parties will continue to be bound by the confidentiality provisions established by this Policy.”

Only thing is, were there any drug issues with Manziel in school that would make them draft a contract like that?

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
If you guys think the league and the Browns didn't test him immediately after this pic surfaced you're nuts. If he did test positive, we'd hear about it.
I doubt it. The NFL doesn't leak that type of info. I've never heard NFL "insiders" and beat riders report on a first failed drug test. The only time I can recall them doing so is during the NFL combine and I'm guessing that's because the players aren't official members of the NFLPA yet.

From my understanding, when players are suspended for substance abuse it means they've already been in the program due to a prior positive test; and they're not suspended until they fail a 2nd or 3rd drug test. The general public has no clue that a player has failed a test until we get news that he's being suspended.

So if he did test positive I doubt we'd hear anything about it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom