MacMahon: Why were Cowboys high on Hitchens?

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Great, because that's what I suspected. You don't even have an opinion, you just don't want everyone else to complain.

Well, the rest of us do have opinions and it's that he's not going to contribute to the level of a good fourth round pick. We don't mind laying it out there since we saw the same bullshit with AOA, Robert Brewster, Jason X, Isaiah Stanback, etc.
Who's complaining? I am simply saying I am through worrying about the draft now that it's done. You are the one that is still complaining.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
So you just don't like the fact that fans on a messageboard have the nerve to discuss their team and the draft that happened just days ago?

And reaching for players 2-3 rounds higher than they are projected to go and routinely coming up on the short end of trades isn't meaningless or unimportant. It's the main reason we keep going 8-8 and have only 1 playoff win in the last 18 years.
Complain all you want. I haven't asked anyone to stop have I?

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
What I am saying is that the deed is done and no amount of pissing and moaning will change it so to me it's a wasted effort to continue to beat a dead horse
Nice!

LT, we aren't discussing the '09 draft, we'll talking about the one that ended 2 days ago.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
[MENTION=9]Cowboysrock55[/MENTION]
He was a very good college LBer. Not a huge guy but he is more athletic then the scouting reports give him credit for. All Iowa LBers are extremely well coached, know how to take on blocks and know how to cover. I'm not saying Hitchens is going to be a high end starter or anything but I also think he is a guy who won't be a huge weakness on the field either.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
He was a very good college LBer. Not a huge guy but he is more athletic then the scouting reports give him credit for. All Iowa LBers are extremely well coached, know how to take on blocks and know how to cover. I'm not saying Hitchens is going to be a high end starter or anything but I also think he is a guy who won't be a huge weakness on the field either.
You know you would have preferred either Kirksey or even Morris. He wasn't even the best LB on his own team for chrissakes.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Kirksey went in the 2nd or 3rd though.
Not the point.

Said it during the draft using my own personal experience with my college team's Jamea Thomas. I think the kid can play special teams and even nickelback in this league and won't embarrass himself. I still recognize the fact he would have been a fourth round reach and would have been enraged if took him 119 overall.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Not the point.

Said it during the draft using my own personal experience with my college team's Jamea Thomas. I think the kid can play special teams and even nickelback in this league and won't embarrass himself. I still recognize the fact he would have been a fourth round reach and would have been enraged if took him 119 overall.
I've said he was a fourth round reach. Not as much based on talent as it is based on the projections of where he should go. If no other team would take a player until the seventh, then I'd consider the player a reach in the fourth.

Of course I would have preferred Kirksey. Hitchens had some big games in college for Iowa though.

dallen

Senior Tech
It wouldn't shock me if we have a depth chart that has starts at all positions and then specifically names ST guys and reserves roster spots.

They are not interested in creating roster competition or shoring up what we call depth. They are just looking for players to fill specific slots on the 53. Nevermind if they can play a normal position. Hell we kept Danny McCray around for years and knew he couldn't do anything else but play special teams. Did it before for Sam Hurd. And Keith Davis.

I get having a couple of guys like that. But what I don't get is paying them second contracts or even worse spending a draft pick to try to get a guy to do it.
To be fair, Hurd also had the hookup on some sweet ganj

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Draft positions are important before the draft. When it's over it doesn't mean anything anymore.
LT, we all know it's frustrating that this front office keeps drawing criticism but understanding draft position is critical.

They might have gotten this guy in the 7th or even as a UDFA, leaving that 4th for a player who might be able to start or provide talented depth at another position.

I agree no one knows how good most of these guys will be after the draft, and that's why you need as many chances as to can to find contributors.

They seemed to conclude that this guy was the only kid in the draft capable of backing up Sean Lee so they took him. It's like the backup draft in 1995 when they reached for Sherman Williams and Charlie Williams in the 2nd and 3rd rounds because they saw guys that could backup a starter in stretches. Had they been looking for actual starts they might have found Curtis Martin in the 3rd or Terrell Davis in the 6th.

Instead they fixate on their targets and take them It's a bad approach, and their poor success rate proves it.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
LT, we all know it's frustrating that this front office keeps drawing criticism but understanding draft position is critical.

They might have gotten this guy in the 7th or even as a UDFA, leaving that 4th for a player who might be able to start or provide talented depth at another position.

I agree no one knows how good most of these guys will be after the draft, and that's why you need as many chances as to can to find contributors.

They seemed to conclude that this guy was the only kid in the draft capable of backing up Sean Lee so they took him. It's like the backup draft in 1995 when they reached for Sherman Williams and Charlie Williams in the 2nd and 3rd rounds because they saw guys that could backup a starter in stretches. Had they been looking for actual starts they might have found Curtis Martin in the 3rd or Terrell Davis in the 6th.

Instead they fixate on their targets and take them It's a bad approach, and their poor success rate proves it.
Ravi; It is probably critical to know the draft positions and ratings if one is critiquing from a position of being GM but therein lies the difference. I really don't track and comment on the Cowboys from a (pretend) GM position. I am just a fan of the team and that's my perspective. I don't put in the time and effort to prepare myself for all the nuances of " what would or should a GM think or do." I am aware that Jones' track record proves he is inept for the job but I don't feel compelled to dwell on it simply because it would only serve to ruin my day and then I would be the loser. Most of the discussion on this forum is critiquing the decisions made by the ownership and that's fine but again most of my discussion is from a fan perspective who supports the team regardless of the shortcomings of the front office. Maybe at times I don't come across as a Jones hater and the reason is I don't hate him. I don't like the way he runs things but in the end all I can do is be a fan of the team.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Fair enough, LT. Being a fan is what we all have in common after all.

I would rather have had Kony Ealy and another solid OL than Lawrence whom I think is undersized and too much of a late riser. Two good players are better than one good player.

Lawrence has bust potential and because all our mid round eggs are in that basket I can't help but think about how big a setback that trade up might be.

VA Cowboy

Brand New Member
Ravi; It is probably critical to know the draft positions and ratings if one is critiquing from a position of being GM but therein lies the difference. I really don't track and comment on the Cowboys from a (pretend) GM position. I am just a fan of the team and that's my perspective.
That explains it. You'd obviously have no problem if they just picked names out of a hat. That's cool. But some of us realize that draft should be about rating the players and selecting the best ones first. But hey, why fret over details.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
That explains it. You'd obviously have no problem if they just picked names out of a hat. That's cool. But some of us realize that draft should be about rating the players and selecting the best ones first. But hey, why fret over details.
You are twisting things totally out of shape. You by your own statement have made assumptions based on your own conclusions. I said none of the things you have depicted. All I have stated is what fits me. I have made no boundaries for anyone else. But feel free to fabricate your own version of what your mind tells you.

Addendum
You know VA there was a time you espoused morality but after seeing the way you have deliberately misrepresented what I said all I can say is you have disappointed me.

Last edited:

hstour

Brand New Member
It is funny to see how people state that the moves made were all f'd up.

Then three years later if the player turns out they are suddenly all for that move.

I'm don't have enough information to make the choices the team makes. I just look at the fact that if the RESULTS aren't fitting of the pick position, then the grade is bad.

Who here picked Brady as a sure fire #1 QB? Probably none. I didn't.

Deciding the future before it has come to pass if ridiculous.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
It is funny to see how people state that the moves made were all f'd up.

Then three years later if the player turns out they are suddenly all for that move.

I'm don't have enough information to make the choices the team makes. I just look at the fact that if the RESULTS aren't fitting of the pick position, then the grade is bad.

Deciding the future before it has come to pass if ridiculous.
It appears that LT has an alt account.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
If Hitchens was picked as late as Brady was this wouldn't be an issue

Top Bottom