MacMahon: Romo, Bryant add to highlight reel

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Romo, Bryant add to highlight reel
December, 23, 2013

By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com

LANDOVER, Md. -- It’s become a bit of an afterthought given the drama of the drive to win the game, but Tony Romo’s touchdown pass to Dez Bryant on Sunday was one of the most spectacular plays the Dallas Cowboys have made all season.

It started with Romo’s Houdini act in the pocket. Redskins defensive back E.J. Biggers came clean on a blitz up the middle, but Romo left him with a face first on the FedEx Field turf, stepping right and spinning back to his left to buy several extra seconds to throw.

At that point, a double-covered Bryant broke off his corner route and sprinted across the back of the end zone, putting himself in position to make a beautiful leaping catch.

“Get in his vision,” Bryant said, recalling his thoughts as he saw Romo elude the blitzer. “I’ve got to be there and make a play for him and that’s what I did.”

It was the 34th touchdown pass that Bryant has caught from Romo in his career. That ties Terrell Owens at the top of the list of Romo’s most frequent touchdown targets.

Bryant had another chance to make an amazing catch in the end zone, but he couldn’t haul in a high bullet from Romo on third-and-goal from the 7 in the fourth quarter.

Bryant got wide open on the play, beating cornerback DeAngelo Hall badly on a slant. However, Romo had pressure in his face and fired a high fastball a few feet over Bryant’s head.

“I can catch it,” said Bryant, who finished the game with four catches for 73 yards and his 12th touchdown of the season. “I think if I would have expected high, I could have adjusted better. But I didn’t. I thought the ball was going to kind of be on me.

“That was me. That was kind of my fault. Those plays I can make. Those are the balls I like to go after and make a huge play.”

The spectacular is expected when Romo targets Bryant in the end zone.

Top Bottom