MacMahon: Jerry compares Dunbar to ex-Eagle Westbrook

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jerry compares Dunbar to ex-Eagle Westbrook

August, 21, 2013

By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com

IRVING, Texas – Darren Sproles, the New Orleans Saints’ sparkplug, is the diminutive running back to whom Lance Dunbar is most often optimistically compared.

Cowboys owner/general manager Jerry Jones aims a little higher, so to speak, when he mentions Dunbar in the same breath as former Pro Bowl running back Brian Westbrook.

“Well, this is probably a stretch, but I know what Westbrook did to us for 100 years up in Philadelphia,” Jones said Tuesday on KRLD-FM when asked if Dunbar reminds him of anyone. “I couldn’t figure it out … but boy, all he did was go out there, make plays anyway he could touch the ball. You pick players that you try to identify players with. Someone will say, ‘Well, he’s no Westbrook,’ and I would have to agree with you at this particular point, but he has the ability to give us an all-purpose (playmaker).”

It’s particularly interesting that Jones compared Dunbar to a former every-down back, not just a niche player. At his peak in 2007, the 5-foot-8, 200-pound Westbrook accounted for 2,104 yards from the line of scrimmage and 12 touchdowns, carrying the ball 278 times for 1,333 yards and catching 90 passes for 771 yards that season.

Dunbar, whose status for the season opener is uncertain due to a sprained foot, will be DeMarco Murray’s backup last season. But it isn’t just Jones who projects a potentially larger role for the 5-foot-8, 188-pound Dunbar in the future.

“When you watch Dunbar play, you immediately say, ‘He looks small and he only can do these certain sorts of things,’” head coach Jason Garrett said. “I think that he’s proven to us that he can do a lot more than that. He’s been a runner in regular-type personnel groups. He’s been a runner on third down. He’s been a protector and a receiver on third down.

“He’s one of those guys that keeps surprising you. He’s probably stronger and more explosive than people give him credit for, and he’s shown that he can do a lot of different things. So I don’t think we want to pigeonhole him into any one role.”

The general manager certainly isn’t pigeonholing the second-year back who was undrafted out of North Texas. Jones prefers to compare Dunbar to a former Pro Bowler.
-----------------

:lol

Texas Ace

Teh Acester
We've been screwed with this lunatic being the ultimate decision maker in regards to personnel.
I'm thinking beyond him because it looks like we're screwed for the foreseeable future.

His son speaks more and more like him every day and so he's going to be overestimating the talent just as his father does.

It's like purgatory and shit......it never ends.

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
When the light hits me just right, I look like a young Karl Malden.

UncleMilti

This seemed like a good idea at the time.
Staff member
I'm thinking beyond him because it looks like we're screwed for the foreseeable future.

His son speaks more and more like him every day and so he's going to be overestimating the talent just as his father does.

It's like purgatory and shit......it never ends.
I used to laugh like a MF'er about the Redskins....but the Cowboys and the Jones' have EASILY surpassed the Redskins in just absolute retardedness and stupidity.

Its like a sick joke every year about this time.."Jerry Jones thinks..." "Jerry Jones says Cowboys..." "Jerry Jones thinks Romo..." "Jerry says Garrett can..."

Its beyond pathetic to follow this team anymore.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I saw a little Dickerson in Dunbar the other night.

Don't know why you guys are tripping.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

He reminded me a little of SNL-era Chevy Chase when he was falling down, tripping over his own dick and fumbling the other night.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are

Nor do I. I see some good things in this player. He is the best Dunbar since "Dances With Wolves".

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Jerry is such an unrealistic pessimist. I think he's just trying to manage expectations by aiming his comparison low with Westbrook as opposed to Marshall Faulk or Marcus Allen where it should be.

dallen

Senior Tech
He reminds me of a cross between Jim Brown, Barry Sanders, and Kevin Costner

data

Forbes #1
The correct DCC term is that Dunbar is 'Sanders-like'

Top Bottom