MacMahon: Jay Ratliff to miss at least 6 weeks

Plan9Misfit

Appreciate The Hate
And yet, this dipshit still thinks we can win even though our o-line and d-lines continue to fall apart. It'll literally take a career ending injury to Romo for this fucking retard to understand that importance of those areas.

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member
And yet, this dipshit still thinks we can win even though our o-line and d-lines continue to fall apart. It'll literally take a career ending injury to Romo for this fucking retard to understand that importance of those areas.
And then it will be too late, because he'll spend the next 10 years searching for a QB.

Wouldn't it be nice to have a competent OL that a new QB could transition into?

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
Wouldn't it be nice to have a competent OL that a new QB could transition into?
not gonna happen, makes too much sense

mcnuttz

Senior Junior Mod
Staff member

bbgun

please don't "dur" me
a travesty if RG3 makes it back before this shithead

Rev

Good, bad, I'm the guy with the gun
Staff member
I think its pretty much a given that that is going to happen.

Lotuseater

Banned
RG3 is like 18 yrs. old. They heal much faster. I get your point though. Maybe we should have taken Floyd? :shrug

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
RG3 is like 18 yrs. old. They heal much faster. I get your point though. Maybe we should have taken Floyd? :shrug
Floyd wasn't that well loved until we found out he was so high on the Cowboys board (which was not properly updated for the 4-3 defense). I would have picked Bjoern Werner at that spot if it was me making the choice.

Lotuseater

Banned
Floyd wasn't that well loved until we found out he was so high on the Cowboys board (which was not properly updated for the 4-3 defense). I would have picked Bjoern Werner at that spot if it was me making the choice.
Werner is an end, though? Floyd looked pretty good a DT for minny......

We have Nick Hayden though, so....

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Werner is an end, though? Floyd looked pretty good a DT for minny......

We have Nick Hayden though, so....
Yes, I know Werner is an end, but I think he's the better player and would have provided us with an exit strategy from Anthony Spencer.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Jay Ratliff: I know why I didn’t rehab at Valley Ranch, ‘but I’d rather not say’

By Jon Machota
jmachota@dallasnews.com
2:48 pm on August 28, 2013 |

ARLINGTON — Dallas Cowboys defensive tackle Jay Ratliff knows why he didn’t rehab from sports hernia surgery at the team’s Valley Ranch practice facility but he declined to give the answer on Wednesday.

The four-time Pro Bowler, who rarely holds interview sessions with the media, simply said: “Good question. I do, but I’d rather not say.”

Ratliff was placed on the physically unable to perform list on Tuesday because of a groin injury. The 31-year-old had the surgery in December and hasn’t practiced with the team since Nov. 18.

Cowboys owner and general manager Jerry Jones said Ratliff didn’t rehab at Valley Ranch because of a “combination of schedule, a combination of preference.”

“I’m trying to stay as professional as possible about the situation but everyone involved knows what’s going,” Ratliff said. “Everyone knew what the issue was way before hand.

“Everyone knew what it was since last year. I’m not going into much more detail other than that. It’s for sure it’s not a hamstring tweak.”

Ratliff said he’s “absolutely disappointed” to be out for at least the first six games of the season.

Jones said he’s confident Ratliff will be back at some point this season and said he still has hopes of Ratliff having an All-Pro year.

“I think he could play tomorrow,” Jones said. “Not health-wise, just knowing what he needs to do [in the scheme].”

Jiggyfly

Banned
Werner is not a strong side end to small I predict he will struggle to break 10 sacks in any season.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
"Id rather not say"

Fuck you, Ratliff.

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Werner is not a strong side end to small I predict he will struggle to break 10 sacks in any season.
Size isn't a really big consideration in this defense. He's bigger than Spencer (not much bigger, but a little).

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Too soon to call Ratliff's deal a dud? That's rich

August, 28, 2013
By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com

ARLINGTON, Texas – During his speech at the Cowboys’ kickoff luncheon a couple of years ago, Jerry Jones intentionally let it slip that the team was close to locking up underpaid Pro Bowl nose tackle Jay Ratliff to a rich contract extension.

Seems like ages ago, right? Well, that five-year, $40 million contract extension is technically just about to begin, even though the deal was restructured this offseason as the Cowboys scrambled to get under the salary cap.

Jerry’s still trying to pump sunshine about that deal, and you just have to hope for his sake he doesn’t actually believe a word of it. Meanwhile, a dark cloud pretty much hovered over Ratliff as he broke his silence while exiting this year’s kickoff luncheon.

Ratliff, who will miss at least the first six games after being placed on the reserve/physically unable to perform list, said just enough to eliminate any shred of doubt that there’s a major disconnect between him and the franchise regarding what must the longest-lingering sports hernia is NFL history.

Shocking news, huh? Ratliff did challenge then-70-year-old Jerry to a fight in the postgame locker room in December for daring to encourage the defensive tackle to get back on the field as soon as possible. Ratliff went under the knife weeks later, then refused to rehab at Valley Ranch this offseason.

“Absolutely I’m disappointed, but everyone knew what the issue was way beforehand,” Ratliff said. “Everyone knew what it was since last year. I’m not really going to go into much detail other than that, but for sure it’s not a hamstring tweak, so that’s all I have to say about it. Thank y’all.”

So why didn’t Ratliff rehab at Valley Ranch with an athletic training staff that once helped Terence Newman return in five weeks after a similar surgery?

“Good question,” he said.

Do you have an answer?

“I do, but I’d rather not say,” Ratliff said. “Let’s just keep the focus on these guys going out there and playing and winning games. I’m not going to be here and be a distraction to anybody. Just stay as professional as possible about the whole situation, but everyone who’s involved knows what’s going on.”

Good times!

Imagine how little trust Ratliff would have for the Cowboys if Jerry didn’t decide to ignore the likelihood of an undersized defensive tackle declining as he aged, rewarding him with elite money despite two years remaining on his team-friendly deal at the time. (Not to mention supported him after his offseason arrest for driving while intoxicated.)

The discussion at this point about Ratliff’s deal is how the Cowboys can minimize the amount of dead money on the cap when they eventually cut him. But that’s not happening until next offseason at the earliest.

In the meantime, Jerry is clinging to hope that Ratliff, whose sack total declined five straight seasons before bottoming out at zero in his injury-abbreviated 2012 campaign, can play at an All-Pro level in Monte Kiffin’s scheme. Jerry pointed to Charles Haley as proof of the impact an injury-plagued veteran can make down the stretch for a contender.

Jerry darn sure isn’t ready to admit that Ratliff’s ridiculous contract extension was a colossal mistake. Not publicly, at least.

“Oh, I don’t know that the verdict is done on that yet,” Jerry said, keeping a straight face. “That speaks for itself relative to, do we think he’s going to make a big contribution in the future? But let’s see how this thing ultimately plays out.

“Since we’re looking back, let’s look back with a few more monster years under our belt.”

Ratliff’s last two years, since Jerry unnecessarily rewarded him, have been nothing short of frightening for the franchise.

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
Why would you even want a guy like this around the club?

If he's not already, I bet he'll be a detriment to team chemistry. He clearly has a problem with management and members of the staff, so it's not too far-fetched to say that he's probably spreading his propaganda to anyone who will listen; young players in particular.

It just seems like an idiotic decision to allow this guy to hang around and drag down the morale of the locker room.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Why would you even want a guy like this around the club?

If he's not already, I bet he'll be a detriment to team chemistry. He clearly has a problem with management and members of the staff, so it's not too far-fetched to say that he's probably spreading his propaganda to anyone who will listen; young players in particular.

It just seems like an idiotic decision to allow this guy to hang around and drag down the morale of the locker room.
His contract makes him almost impossible to cut.

This reeks almost like a Workman's Comp case where nobody can say anything of substance due to the situation.

Top Bottom