MacMahon: Jason Witten: 'We've got to play better'

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
Jason Witten: 'We've got to play better'

November, 4, 2013

By Tim MacMahon | ESPNDallas.com

ARLINGTON, Texas -- The NFL standings don’t keep track of style points, so the Dallas Cowboys won’t complain about their comeback win over the 1-7 Minnesota Vikings.

However, the 24-hour rule of celebrating a win might not have been necessary in this case.

“You never minimize a win, but somewhere deep down, you know you’ve got to play a lot better,” tight end Jason Witten said. “You can be first place in the division and all that, but know that you’ve got to play better moving forward. We all have to realize that and live in the now and understand that moving forward, we need to do that in all phases of our football team.

“Enjoy the win, but deep down know that we’ve got to play better moving forward. That’ll be the message.”

The Cowboys will find plenty of room for improvement while reviewing the win.

The defense allowed 393 yards to a Minnesota team that ranks 27th in the NFL in total offense. It’s one thing for perennial Pro Bowl running back Adrian Peterson to rush for 140 yards, but quarterback Christian Ponder matched his season high with 236 passing yards.

The Dallas offense sputtered for much of the day against a defense that ranks 29th in the league. The Cowboys abandoned the run and were plagued by drops for much of the day.

“I know as a team inside that locker room, we’re going to be on each other, telling each other we can’t have it,” said Dez Bryant, who had two drops, including one on a play in which he might have been able to score. “That’s just what it is.”

1bigfan13

Your favorite player's favorite player
Staff member
I know it's not our style but Dallas would really do themselves a favor if they called more running plays.

That way they can bleed the clock and keep opponents' offenses off the field. The only way they're going to stop the bleeding on defense is for the offense to help them out by controlling the clock.

If Garrett were smart he'd at least consider it. It may not work but it's worth a shot and it's better than the status quo which obviously isn't working.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Even though the Bucs lost the Seattle yesterday I was impressed with how they called the game for the most part. Even if it was 2nd and 10 they would call a run and shorten the sticks or catch Seattle by surprise. Teams know that when we are in the same situation there is no way in he we are going to run.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
Wow, our defense really sucks. Can't say so much for our offense either.
Yeah the defense is a mess but ironically they have come up big in some situations. Without their takeaways and scores the team is sunk. They play badly 60% of the time but the 40% is clutch. They are a collection of no namers and super stars that runs one up the wall.

vince

Not So New Member
I know it's not our style but Dallas would really do themselves a favor if they called more running plays.

That way they can bleed the clock and keep opponents' offenses off the field. The only way they're going to stop the bleeding on defense is for the offense to help them out by controlling the clock.

If Garrett were smart he'd at least consider it. It may not work but it's worth a shot and it's better than the status quo which obviously isn't working.
It'd be awesome to call a balanced game but you can't keep getting negative rushing yards and stick with the run. The Cowboys are obviously a passing team and won't win without it.

Bluestar71

Brand New Member
It'd be awesome to call a balanced game but you can't keep getting negative rushing yards and stick with the run. The Cowboys are obviously a passing team and won't win without it.
You have to feed a running game. You can't call a couple of runs and then say fuck it because you aren't getting 5 yards a pop. It doesn't work that way.

vince

Not So New Member
You have to feed a running game. You can't call a couple of runs and then say fuck it because you aren't getting 5 yards a pop. It doesn't work that way.
I understand that it's about being patient. But Murray "looked" like he was hurt and Dunbar was doing a horrible job. I'll admit there were some opportunities to run the ball especially on the drive where Romo threw the pick, but I couldn't fault them for calling pass plays for the most part towards the end.

L.T. Fan

I'm Easy If You Are
I understand that it's about being patient. But Murray "looked" like he was hurt and Dunbar was doing a horrible job. I'll admit there were some opportunities to run the ball especially on the drive where Romo threw the pick, but I couldn't fault them for calling pass plays for the most part towards the end.
Murray is not 100% yet. His knee still bothers him.

Top Bottom