MacMahon - Garrett on rookie CB: 'Not allowed to have rough night'

junk

Not So New Member
I take it as he is still struggling being a "walk around coach" and is wasting time with the secondary. Meanwhile, a big time draft choice is looking like complete ass under his fricking nose.

He should be ripping Escobar a new one. If the idea is to have a kick butt NE 2-TE offense...he's a complete failure so far.

And don't give me shit about he can scheme this dork into being effective. From what I saw on those highlights, he looked like he was going though the motions just as much as how it looked like he got overpowered or whatnot.
:lol

Smitty

DCC 4Life
You simply can't block like that, even a WR has to do a better job.

Escobar is a TE, looks like he's blocking for the first time in his life though.

I remember Parcells ripping on Witten's blocking and it was loads better than that. It has to get a lot better, fast.

Carp

DCC 4Life
I'm not going to even start on Escobar, but I think he is riding both Wilcox and Webb because he thinks they can play.

Smitty

DCC 4Life
I'm not going to even start on Escobar, but I think he is riding both Wilcox and Webb because he thinks they can play.
I agree, I think they've both got talent, but they are both struggling right now.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Wilcox in particular seems cocky...so Garrett is rightfully taking him down a notch.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
I think Garrett likes both Webb and Wilcox and is trying to push them...I applaud him for it. He has to do it with the rookies though IMO...it would come off as fake with the vets.
He has to do what he can when his GM hands him two small school DBs in the same draft.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I agree, I think they've both got talent, but they are both struggling right now.
He's got to get the message out that NOBODY can have a bad day.

Don't get me wrong, I like the approach as it is a departure from his usual robotics. I think a good coach has to know how to push buttons.

But to be inconsistent in that approach is not a good thing. Escobar has looked far far worse in these two games and you don't hear him calling him out in the media.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member
He's got to get the message out that NOBODY can have a bad day.

Don't get me wrong, I like the approach as it is a departure from his usual robotics. I think a good coach has to know how to push buttons.

But to be inconsistent in that approach is not a good thing. Escobar has looked far far worse in these two games and you don't hear him calling him out in the media.
Agreed.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
Escobar has looked far far worse in these two games and you don't hear him calling him out in the media.
That's debatable, and Escobar hasn't had anywhere close to as big a mistake as Webb's muff. Escobar made mental mistakes and was physically dominated as a blocker. Webb failed both as a CB and on special teams. At least when they threw to him Escobar caught everything in the first game.

The real problem is Dallas drafting Escobar in the first place without a plan for how to use him. Why draft a slow, long-legged TE with great hands known for his vertical and expect him to suddenly be this great anchoring power-blocker when he couldn't do it in college vs. lesser competition? And why not try and use him in the redzone as, oh I don't know, a receiver??

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
Are you referring to him not coming down on Escobar?
I think different players have to be approached differently. Some guys will respond to a public tongue lashing well while others need a different motivational tool. I don't mind Garrett treating rookies differently.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
I think different players have to be approached differently. Some guys will respond to a public tongue lashing well while others need a different motivational tool. I don't mind Garrett treating rookies differently.
If you are going to be inconsistent, do it for the great ones who frankly are damn near perfect. Jimmy Johnson would rip the bottom dwellers on the roster. He'd leave excellent players like Aikman and Irvin alone. If he's going to call out people, it should not be just the rooks.

Parcells would prod his superstars too.

I just don't think Garrett gets into these guy's heads enough on a personal level. Parcells would do that and learn how to push the buttons.

As the story goes, when New York Giants’ linebacker Lawrence Taylor reported for the start of preparations for the team’s divisional round game against the Los Angeles Rams in 1989, he found an airline ticket for New Orleans on the bench outside his locker room stall. When he queried Parcells about why the ticket was there, the coach told him he wanted him to fly to New Orleans and counsel with Saints’ linebacker Pat Swilling about how to play against Rams offensive left tackle Irv Pankey. Seems that Swilling typically dominated Pankey, while Taylor usually had problems with him. In terms of jacking up Taylor for the matchup with Pankey, the ploy worked. The Giants lost to the Rams, 19-13, in overtime, on Flipper Anderson’s 30-yard touchdown catch, but Taylor had 10 tackles and two sacks in the game, working mostly against Pankey.
Garrett looks like he is more critical of X and Os.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
B.W. Webb gets advice from Tony Romo

August, 12, 2013

By Calvin Watkins | ESPNDallas.com

OXNARD, Calif. -- Cowboys rookie cornerback B.W. Webb had a long night in the second preseason game against the Oakland Raiders.

He muffed a punt, let a receiver get behind him on a pass play and missed a tackle.

Webb was a little down so he talked to veteran cornerback Brandon Carr and quarterback Tony Romo.

According to Webb, the chat with Romo was very good.

"His message was you have up and down games," Webb said. "He really told me you got to put that in the past and he basically told me he messes up sometimes and coaches jump him and he just wants to make plays."

Webb said he approached Romo for advice on bouncing back and said he wants to earn the starting quarterback's respect. Coach Jason Garrett is asking the veterans of the team to take on more of a leadership role in 2013. During training camp practices, you see defensive tackle Jason Hatcher encouraging young players and helping them when they struggle. Carr, a well-respected member of the locker room, does the same.

Secondary coach Jerome Henderson also talked to Webb about playing with more intensity regardless of whom he was facing across from him.

"I guess I thought about my bad plays too much," Webb said. "I didn't really put them behind me. In this league, you got to put those in your back pocket and keep going. I kinda dwell on those too much and it led to the punt and I dropped the punt. I just have to be able to put things behind me and get on with the game."

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Romo: "if sucking at football is the worst thing to happen to you, you've lived a pretty good life."

Genghis Khan

The worst version of myself
Webb might have played slightly worse so far, but truthfully Escobar has been really really bad. He looks like he can't block to save his life. He's been getting killed. No question I think Escobar needs a fire lit under him too

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Romo: "if sucking at football is the worst thing to happen to you, you've lived a pretty good life."
Yeah, he's the last guy I would be taking advice from if I were Black Wiener. I would find someone more black...like Sean Lee.

Top Bottom