MacMahon: Cowboys' young WRs make Austin an afterthought

Smitty

DCC 4Life
It's crazy to think but he is basically the same age as Dez. Shows you how young Dez was when he came out compared to some other players.
I certainly am not gonna complain about taking a 24 year old in the third round when he has the talent of a Terrance Williams, but yeah, taking those 20 and 21 year olds in the first round, IMO, definitely has huge advantages. You might say, what, its only 2-3 years, but I think there is a definite difference when you are extending a guy at 26 or 27 versus doing it at 29.

Cowboysrock55

Super Moderator
Staff member
I certainly am not gonna complain about taking a 24 year old in the third round when he has the talent of a Terrance Williams, but yeah, taking those 20 and 21 year olds in the first round, IMO, definitely has huge advantages. You might say, what, its only 2-3 years, but I think there is a definite difference when you are extending a guy at 26 or 27 versus doing it at 29.
I agree, that is part of why I despised the Newman pick when we made it. He turned 25 during his rookie year. I hate that when you are talking about a top 10 draft pick. With a third rounder, who cares.

Top Bottom