Machota: Witten On Manziel/Romo

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
He also never had to learn to complete his reads in college. He would just pull he ball down and run. He can't do that in the NFL, so he only way I see him succeeding is to learn that skill. Pulling the ball down too early in the NFL results in only two things. An anemic offense and injury.
He can complete reads, if he couldn't he would have been another undrafted college phenom. He was just impatient. The guy makes plays and has more charisma than most and that will help him more than a lot of people think.

He has a good chance to be better than Griffin IMO.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
He can complete reads, if he couldn't he would have been another undrafted college phenom. He was just impatient. The guy makes plays and has more charisma than most and that will help him more than a lot of people think.
The closest comparison IMO is Doug Flutie. Just not good enough.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
The closest comparison IMO is Doug Flutie. Just not good enough.
We will just have to disagree. Flutie was way too vertically challenged and frankly not a very accurate passer who got by on the sandlot stuff. Manziel has a good enough arm.

Cotton

One-armed Knife Sharpener
Staff member

He has a good chance to be better than Griffin IMO.
He might be able to complete reads, but he showed no evidence of it in college. If he is just being impatient, he will have to be broken of that bad habit or he won't succeed in the NFL.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
He might be able to complete reads, but he showed no evidence of it in college. If he is just being impatient, he will have to be broken of that bad habit or he won't succeed in the NFL.
Whatevas, hater.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
David Cutcliffe: “This is why I think he can be a good pro quarterback. He has great vision of the field. Down here at the 10-yard line, see 32 of Alabama there? Johnny Manziel is aware of him or he throws an interception right here. Anytime you see backers running laterally, you know it’s man. Now you’re trying to throw it on time. See how he thinks he’s getting that guy clean? I’m telling you—seven out of 10 quarterbacks throw that. So he saw it. Bill Walsh said it best: When you’re scrambling, make first-and-10 decisions—which means conservative decisions. More games are lost than won in football, really. This is an opportunity to lose a game.”

Cotton

Staff member
David Cutcliffe: “This is why I think he can be a good pro quarterback. He has great vision of the field. Down here at the 10-yard line, see 32 of Alabama there? Johnny Manziel is aware of him or he throws an interception right here. Anytime you see backers running laterally, you know it’s man. Now you’re trying to throw it on time. See how he thinks he’s getting that guy clean? I’m telling you—seven out of 10 quarterbacks throw that. So he saw it. Bill Walsh said it best: When you’re scrambling, make first-and-10 decisions—which means conservative decisions. More games are lost than won in football, really. This is an opportunity to lose a game.”
I'm not talking about his vision. I'm talking about his progressions. He doesn't go through all of them before bailing and running. He has to hang tight in the pocket better at this level if he is going to succeed.

Carp

DCC 4Life
He did a better job of it as the season went on...but we are not talking about an offense that really challenged him to make reads.

jsmith6919

Honored Member - RIP
I'm not talking about his vision. I'm talking about his progressions. He doesn't go through all of them before bailing and running. He has to hang tight in the pocket better at this level if he is going to succeed.
I saw plenty of times him getting to 3rd read or so. Now I admit he does need to trust his protection more, I've noticed if there is any A & B gap pressure he gets skittish, but you can't just try and turn him into a pocket passer like ginger has done with Romo. You have to let him be who is with rollouts and such.

Cotton

Staff member
He did a better job of it as the season went on...but we are not talking about an offense that really challenged him to make reads.
Oh, I agree with his college offense no challenging him to make reads. They let him do his thing and didn't coach that need to run out of him. I'm just saying he has to have that habit broken or he won't succeed. I think it's probably about 50/50. That's the reason I didn't want him. Too high of a bust percentage.

Last edited:

Cotton

Staff member
I saw plenty of times him getting to 3rd read or so. Now I admit he does need to trust his protection more, I've noticed if there is any A & B gap pressure he gets skittish, but you can't just try and turn him into a pocket passer like ginger has done with Romo. You have to let him be who is with rollouts and such.
I agree with not changing who he is, but the rollouts need to be designed rollouts. Not him running from pressure too early.

boozeman

28 Years And Counting...
Staff member
Put him in a read option system and he will be fine. Who thinks Griffin can read coverages?

Manziel is much better at avoiding hits and frankly has a better football IQ.

Carp

DCC 4Life
Do people share the same concerns over Bortles?

Clay_Allison

Old Bastard
Durrr...Marino never won a Super Bowl...took Manning and Elway forever....

Well, all of those guys had success, you know, real success that were not empty stats with a couple of playoff wins over their careers. Elway was taking entire teams, worse teams, on his damn back to just lose a Super Bowl.

Romo is nothing like any of those guys. In other words, not a "franchise QB" in the way they defined it.

If Romo is a "franchise QB" somebody changed the definition on it.
I was just talking about how Jerry treated him, as if he were one of those guys. I did not in any way suggest he was like them.

ravidubey

DCC 4Life
We will just have to disagree. Flutie was way too vertically challenged and frankly not a very accurate passer who got by on the sandlot stuff. Manziel has a good enough arm.
Jury's out obviously. I will say Flutie was 5'10" while Manziel is 5'11", so the height difference is not that great. Agreed Manziel's arm is better. Maybe Manziel surprises everyone by keeping the sandlot crap on a back-burner and puts in the time and reps to learn how to be a pro passer.

Top Bottom